Repairing a hollow molded sailplane wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing a hollow molded sailplane wing

This past week in Cumberland MD was an epic week of soaring and also a first for me. During a slope frenzy one afternoon, A friend of mine ( or at least used to be) and I tried to claim the same airspace and the DG800 won over the Stingray, but not before suffering a severe laceration to the wing.

Here are some photos of the damage and the rerepair process. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5816.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	16176
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5814.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	16180
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5821.jpg Views:	1 Size:	182.6 KB ID:	16182

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5818.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	16183
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5819.jpg Views:	1 Size:	169.5 KB ID:	16185
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5822.jpg Views:	1 Size:	138.3 KB ID:	16181
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5820.jpg Views:	2 Size:	161.5 KB ID:	16186
    Attached Files
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Once the damage is cut away, I sanded back the carbon skin on a decent angle to expose the layers of carbon and provide a bonding area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5824.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	16189Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5823.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	16190
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

any spar damage that you can see?

Steve K
      Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

No spar damage, not even scratched.
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len,
          Last week, when I saw Stephane's photo on Facebook of the damaged model....I commented "If that's a CARF DG800 there is nothing left of the other model!"
          Being able to go 180mph takes some very strong wings! That added strength meant for speed may have added to your ability to survive the mid air. How thick is that carbon skin?
          Pete

Comment

Hi Pete,
            The skin is pretty thick. I'll post a picture later today with a close up.

Moving on with the repair,
            I went to the local craft store and bought a stiff foam used for sticking fake flowers into, its crisp and sands/cuts nice. Plus it wont suck up the resin and weighs nothing,.

Name:	IMG_5844.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	16202

The foam I put in will need to be installed in two pieces since I want to slide it under the skin on each side. Trace the airfoil on the foam and cut on the bandsaw.

Name:	IMG_5850.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	16200

Name:	IMG_5845.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	16201

Name:	IMG_5846.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	16203

Name:	IMG_5847.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	16206Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5849.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	16207

Test fit the pieces and adjust the shape if needed.

Name:	IMG_5852.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	16205

Next step is to get all the carbon pieces ready, here is the tow which will be installed along the leading edge inside the wing.

Name:	IMG_5853.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	16204
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Carbon fiber layups complete,
              I left the LE recessed a bit so I can install more carbon tow on the exterior to form a sharp LE to match the rest. ( also to help cut through other planes )

Name:	IMG_5857.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	16209

Name:	IMG_5855.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	16210

Onto the carbon tow and fill/sand
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Xroadie
                Xroadie commented
                Editing a comment
                I have fixed TD ships like this, but used white foam....never thought about the green foam...it would be easier to shape than the white foam, but I thought the green foam would absorb liquids! I have a second repair to make and will try green foam!!

• lenb
                lenb commented
                Editing a comment
                Pete,
                This foam is very stiff and crispy, its not the liquid absorbing one they have. This feels like Rice Crispies

looking good....nice idea on the foam inserts! Are you scraping the epoxy off the carbon fiber top with a card once applied , or just brush on, and it's good?

errrr...Don't forget to do the other wing too so it balances out!

Matt

Comment

Excellent repair tutorial!

Comment

Please forgive this one post thread hijack, but this seems a good place to post a carbon repair. A tow plane rolled out of the pits onto the field as I was landing at Cumberland. I overreacted in correcting, caught a wingtip and whipped the tail. This broke the horizontal stab out of the top of the fin.

My repair sequence...
                  - Get all of the fin top pieces so that they cleanly go back together. In this design, the nuts are encased in a fg/carbon layup so they just popped back in place in the voids. All cracks were clean and any dust or dirt was removed
                  - Lube both wing bolts with white lithium grease, run them through the nuts so the nuts will not get clogged with epoxy.
                  - Inject Hysol 120HP epoxy into everything
                  - Clamp overnight then remove bolts in the morning, corse sand the entire top of the fin with the Proxon belt sander to smooth, remove all white gelcote
                  - Mark up the top of the fin with a razor saw blade for more surface grip for the next step
                  - Two layers of fiberglass/carbon weave cloth with each laid on the bias to the other. Wet out with West System epoxy
                  - Scooch the carbon tows to the side of each bolt hole
                  - Cover the bottom center of the horizontal stab bottom with Gorilla tape. Wax the tape. Add extra blue tape to protect in case of spills
                  - Lube the blots again, attach the stabilizer tight as if you were about to fly the plane. This will mold the cloth and repair to the exact shape of the stab.
                  - Let everything fully cure. Remover stab. Trim excess cloth. Paint new edge white.

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Nice Steve

I had to do that same sequence a few times in the past, plus it makes for a nice looking saddle if you leave it carbon. Great information, thanks for the tutorial.
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Pete,
                      The skin is pretty thick as indicated.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5864.jpg Views:	1 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	16283

Next up was adding more tow to the leading edge to get the shape I wanted
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5858 (1).jpg Views:	2 Size:	166.1 KB ID:	16288

Fill, Sand , repeat

The first two filler applications were done with West Systems epoxy and 410 lightweight filler. I mix it very thick so its really light and sands like chalk, then the last bit is done with "Split Second" filler. The final coat is super thin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5867.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	16281
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5872.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	16285
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5869.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.7 KB ID:	16284
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5873.jpg Views:	1 Size:	247.7 KB ID:	16286

While I'm at it I'm touching up a chip on the tail section of the Shark.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5874.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.3 KB ID:	16287

There's a couple tiny pinholes I need to address on the LE, but overall its a near perfect. I'll wet sand this down and add the color coat this week.

Attached Files
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

What paint will you use for the color coat Len?

Comment

I have some of the paint used by the factory, when the plane arrived it had a few issues and they sent some paint. Hopefully its still good.
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Looking good. All great information!

Comment

Working...
                            X