Homemade Wing Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Wing Bags

Steve P put me onto this way of making wing bags. It is a simple and cost effective way to protect your precious cargo on those trips to and from flying events and to protect them while those long winter months pass and they languish in storage.

The material InfraStop Double Bubble White Reflective Foil Insulation is available from Amazon for about $75.00 per 48" x 50' roll.

It is easy to cut with shop scissors.

Two pieces can be fused together by putting the white surfaces together and using a MonoKote iron set on highest setting to melt the white inside plastic surfaces together. The foil outside will not melt.

Velcro tabs can be added to act as resealable closures.

Then finish it off with the P-Touch label maker.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Jim,

Any tricks for getting the adhesive velcro and labels to stay stuck?? I ended up having to run my homemade bags through a sewing machine to keep the velcro stuck. I tried cleaning the aluminum with lacquer thinner and alcohol before sticking it on, and it still would come un-stuck.....

Comment

Hmmm....I have not had a problem with any of the adhesive back labels, Velcro, or foil tape staying stuck. Temperature is 70 degrees in my shop and very low humidity.

I made wing bags like this last year for the ASW20 and then the Bidule 170 after that and the Velcro never gave me a problem.
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Scot. Like Jim, I've had no problems either? The silver is Mylar and seems to take adhesive well?
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• JimD
          JimD commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking he must have gotten the Teflon coated version???

Scot, remove the velcro adhesive backer. Sticky side down!!!

But seriously.
        On the colored stuff that came from Steve R a few years ago I can not get the velcro to stay on either. It stays initially, but after a few weeks its off.

Len
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

In some cases you don't need the Velcro. For wings just make an extended end flap that is folded over and slid into the opening.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0933.JPG Views:	2 Size:	10.0 KB ID:	15443

I have been using the Industrial Strength Velcro which I picked up on line. It has a very aggressive adhesive and has never come loose or off. ACE hardware also carries an Industrial Strength Velcro that works well.

Comment

I've been building wing bags from single and double bubble building insulation for years. Today, Revoc announced something even better...

The 3-layered ALU Foil consists of very smooth Aluminum Vaporised PE film (1st layer), second layer with air bubbles (air cushion) and the third layer of very delicate fleece. The Foil can not only protect sensitive parts and absorb shocks but also offers good thermal protection.

The ALU Foil can be processed well with PE-tape, by sewing or by using simple adhesive tape.

The base for order is always 5 current meter in the width of 118cm / 46" and upwards.

Technical details
              Thickness: 3mm
              Air bubble diameter: approx. 10 mm
              Width: 1.18m
              Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Working...
              X