Repairing the tail wheel on the Quintus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing the tail wheel on the Quintus

I first flew the Quintus in Cumberland MD in mid July, the maiden flight was close to an hour and the second flight was over two hours. To say it's an efficient sailplane would be an understatement.

The scale features on the sailplane are outstanding however, the tail wheel used for this ship is not very strong since it uses a thin plastic spoke "Bling" type wheel.

I suppose if you were landing on smooth runways or pavement all the time it may last, but for the rough fields we fly from its didn't last the weekend. Furthermore its a steerable tail wheel to boot.

The repair was pretty simple and should provide a solution to anyone encountering this problem with these type wheels. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3546.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	11998

Here is the wheel as it comes back to the shop, simply pull out the axle to release the wheel

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3547.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	11999

Supposed to look sorta like this.

Name:	IMG_3548.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	12000

Once out, I saved the center bushing to reuse along with the axle.

Name:	IMG_3549.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	12001

My buddy Bob M had some carbon sheet he donated to the cause. Here I cut out the remaining spokes on the wheel

Name:	IMG_3551.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	12002

Using a whole saw with the pilot bit removed I made these three over sized discs. Once made I drilled the approximate center with a bit just smaller than the center bushing.

Name:	IMG_3552.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	12003

Stack the two smaller ones on a 4-40 bolt for truing up

Name:	IMG_3553.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	12004

Use the drill press to spin while I shape the size

Name:	IMG_3555.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	12005

Finished smaller discs are glued to each side of the large disc, this is to add some support for the center bushing

Name:	IMG_3557.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	12006

Now start sizing the center disc to fit the wheel. A large wood block is needed to support the sandpaper or you'll get a wobble while shaping it.
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Final fit and securing

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	12009

Slowly reduce the diameter of the disc with sandpaper mounted on a block, check the fit often and take your time.

Name:	IMG_3559.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	12010

The final size has been determined and we're ready to glue it in.

Name:	IMG_3560.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	12011

I used thin CA after cleaning the plastic with thinner to remove any oils, so hopefully it will hold up. Seems strong!

Name:	IMG_3561.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	12012

Final drilling of the center bushing hole and cemented that it too.

Name:	IMG_3562.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	12013

Back on the plane and ready for service. It took about 30 min to complete the job.

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	12014
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Very nice! I had a fear that lightweight wheel and its spokes would not be up to the task.

Greetings from Tail Wheels `R Us global headquarters. Just completed replacing the entire bottom portion of my Antares rudder (background) with 8 layers of carbon fiber (4 each side) and now working on the Arcus wheel (foreground) that caved in the fuselage side from the "sink from hell" downwind landing.

Steerable tail wheels like the Qunitus and Antares are so very cool. But vulnerable! ;-)

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Nice work........glad the carbon fiber is going to good use. The new tailwheel looks very fitting for the Quintus. You should show this to Radim as a suggested tailwheel option.

Nice work on your repairs Steve.

You both do amazing work and the sailplanes are factory fresh once returned to flying status.

I know who to contact when any of my sailplanes are in need of work.

Looking forward to the next flights of all the sailplanes.

Bob

Comment

looks great Len and Steve.....love seeing those birds fly at cumberland ....and Bobs Duo discuss too ! I didn't get away without repairs either on either plane, but almost got'em all done and ready for Delaware!

Comment

Working...
          X