New Faa Bill passed ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Faa Bill passed ??

So does this mean no more Aerotow events ??
    • With no justification, AMA members can no longer fly over 400 feet in class G (rural airspace).
    • This will harm or kill our sailplane, turbine, aerobatic, and large model aircraft communities, which accounts for over 30% of our operations.
    • The 400-foot altitude cap also excludes AMA and the USA from participating or hosting many world aeromodeling events sanctioned by the FAI through the AMA and NAA.
    Last edited by Tom K; 10-07-2018, 12:38 AM.

It's not as bad as it sounds, yet. No changes until the President signs into law and the FAA figures out how to interpret the laws and put them into action. Only Class G has a hard ceiling leaving the others open for the adminstrator/air traffic control authority to determine. Could be lower, could be higher. Lot's to work out in the coming months but nothing changes for now.

Positive provisions and improvements
    • The five mile airport notification rings are removed, which was a burdensome and often misinterpreted mandate placed on our hobby.
    • Congress more clearly defines community-based organizations (CBOs) and tasks FAA to recognize CBOs.
    • CBOs, like AMA, are given a more prominent role in shaping future regulations.
    • Congress codifies elements of AMA's safety programming into law including the use of first person view.
    • There are no prescriptive Remote ID equipage mandates, which allows AMA to continue to champion for a more reasonable approach and threshold.
    • Congress allocated $1 million every year to help support education campaigns such as Know Before You Fly that AMA co founded.
    • Congress recognizes the distinction between members of a CBO, like AMA, and those "outside the membership, guidelines, and programming" of a CBO. Congress then tasks the FAA to consider different operating parameters for each recreational community.

Comment

And we may very likely be headed to a structured and controlled future where soaring events and soaring sites need to be registered, sanctioned, permitted, NOTAMS filed, etc. etc. for activity over 400’ to take place, but it can still take place. There are potential solutions. Time and advocacy will tell.
      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

This is really depressing. Now what am I going to do with $20,000 in equipment I’ve recently invested in this niche of the Hobby? Guess I won’t be needing that new H9 ASH 31 now....

Comment

No one is saying Aerotowing and scale soaring are done. Right now nothing is changing, the AMA has said as much. We might have a few more hoops to jump through next season as Steve P mentioned, but hopefully by the time we roll into an event it will be business as usual. I wouldn't cancel that 31, I'm certainly not.
          Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Sinkhappens86 View Post
            ...... I wouldn't cancel that 31, I'm certainly not.
            Hmmmmmm.....$2700 for the plane......another $1500 for the rest of the equipment.......$4200 tied up in a brand new air frame that you may or may not be able to fly? I think that is a decision that just maybe should be put off until the AMA can do their “work” and iron out exactly what we can and can not fly.
            TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Originally posted by Sinkhappens86 View Post
              No one is saying Aerotowing and scale soaring are done. Right now nothing is changing, the AMA has said as much. We might have a few more hoops to jump through next season as Steve P mentioned, but hopefully by the time we roll into an event it will be business as usual. I wouldn't cancel that 31, I'm certainly not.
              A lot of maybe's and jumping through hoops for an event. What about when a couple of us just want to go fly? Do I have to schedule an event and establish a designated "soaring site" every weekend? And did ya'll read the part about "remote I.D." for all UAS? That means a transponder of some sort with ADS-B. How much is that little jewel going to cost?

Comment

• edfmaniac
                edfmaniac commented
                Editing a comment
                According the AMA release, "There are no prescriptive Remote ID equipage mandates" in the bill that passed. I suggest calling and speaking to them if you are really that concerned. They seem to be very comfortable with where we are positioned for negotiating as things move forward. And I bet the FAA doesn't even come up with the new regs to comply with the new laws for 12 to 18 months.

Looks like I'll be hanging onto my 1/4 scale sailplanes....
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Originally posted by gunny11 View Post
                Looks like I'll be hanging onto my 1/4 scale sailplanes....
                Even at 1/4 scale not much can be done below 400’ with sailplanes.......at Black Dirt let’s do some releases at 400’ and see how that works out.......
                TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• gunny11
                  gunny11 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We will get very good at takeoffs & landings. Remember BRASS in September 2011?

Chill out people. Per an AMA staff member on Facebook:

I just got off the phone with Tyler of our AMA Gov Relations team . They have been in DC for the last 2 days with meetings with Senators and the FAA. All are agreed to let AMA members fly under our Safety Program and continue to be able to fly above 400’. FAA and AMA are working on a joint letter that will give clarity to this.
                Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

AMA rountable discussion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzU_GF9POE&app=desktop

Comment

Working...
                  X