• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th Annual Cumberland Spring Soar for Fun ~ March 17-21, 2016

7th Annual Cumberland, MD Spring Soar for Fun

Date: March 17-21, 2016

***click here to register***

We have a five day weather window, so we hope for at least one really great day. The last year four of the five days were great. You will have to come and see!

* As always, all manner of sailplanes are welcome...DLG to Giant Scale
    * We will have tugs to aerotow everything from small foamies to giant scale
    * If conditions allow, winch and bungee launching okay
    * Weather conditions will dictate style of flying, so bring everything...slopers to floaters, foamies to giant scale.
    * Landing fee is $15.00/day or $45.00 max. (Why come for just one or two days when the best deal is all five!)

* The HighPoint Aviation Airfield atop Knobley Mountain three miles south of Cumberland, MD in West Virginia.

* Visit our website for detailed information, photos, and directions to the field: www.highpoint-aviation.org

Recommended places to stay:

Fairfield Inn & Suites in Cumberland, MD

This facility is closest to the field (about 5 miles away) and has the best quality rooms in the area, but their parking lot is tight. It is also in walking distance of many family oriented historic sites, shops, and restaurants.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...es-cumberland/

Comfort Inn & Suites in LaVale, MD:

This facility is about twelve miles from the field, has very nice rooms, and a large parking lot. It is in easy driving distance of many restaurants, large box stores like WalMart, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Martin's Market.

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-lavale-maryland-MD145

Holiday Inn Express in LaVale, MD:

This facility just opened in the late fall of 2015. It is just a short distance down the road from the Comfort Inn and is likewise about twelve miles from the field.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/e...&icdv=99504425

Days Inn & Suites in Frostburg, MD:

This facility is about seventeen miles from the field, has nice rooms, and more reasonable rates for the budget conscious.

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/maryla...hotel-overview

Directions to the HighPoint Aviation Airfield:

GPS data for airfield:

Latitude: North 39° 34.872' Longitude: West 78° 48.230'

GPS data for intersection of WV Route 28 and Crestwood Loop:

Latitude: North 39° 34.941' Longitude: West 78° 47.134'

* From I-68 (on the crosstown bridge over Cumberland) take the Industrial Boulevard exit.
    * As you enter onto Industrial Boulevard, stay in the right lane because in a short distance you will exit onto Canal Parkway.
    * Canal Parkway will take you across the Potomac River into Wiley Ford, WV where it becomes WV Route 28.
    *Travel south on WV Route 28 for three miles to the first intersection with Crestwood Loop.

Please note that Crestwood Loop intersects with WV Route 28 in two places that are about 1/4 mile apart). Look for this Sign:

* From this point, follow the pointer signs that says "SOAR" The road up to the airfield is an unpaved mountain road with many turns and steep grades, so be prepared. Have all of your cargo secured so it will not get damaged.

Food & Facilities on the Field:

* A light lunch will be served at about 1:00pm each day (donations appreciated).

* Bring what snacks and drinks you will consume the rest of the day and please take your empty wrappers and bottles with you because there is no trash removal service available for the airfield.

* There are port-a-pot facilities on site. Camping is allowed, but there is no 110AC or running water.

* Bring layers of clothing because the temperature can vary widely over the same day and don't forget sunblock and skin lotion because sun and wind burn are common otherwise.

Evening Dining with Local Flavor:

While there are the typical chain restaurants in the LaVale area; Bob Evans, Applebee's (301-729-4189), Ruby Tuesday (301-729-8738). You may want to check out some of the local favorites:

Ristorante Ottaviani 25 N Centre Street, Cumberland, MD 301-722-0052 ~fine dining Italian cuisine (reservations recommended)

Geatz's Restaurant 202 Paca Street, Cumberland, MD 301-729-2223 ~same locations for 120+ years, steak & seafood(reservations recommended)

Puccini Restaurant 12901 AliGhan Road, (east of town off I-68) Cumberland, MD 301-722-0052 ~historic setting, wood fired pizza specialty plus steak & seafood (reservations recommended)

Fratelli Restaurant & Bar 359 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-1777 ~ Steak, seafood, and pasta specialties. Can accommodate larger groups with advanced notice. (reservations recommended)

D'Atri's Restaurant 18 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-0052 ~great breakfast, specialty is steak hoagie for lunch, and Italian dishes for dinner. Very reasonable prices, walk in dining, but can have long wait at peak times for lunch and dinner.

Grand China Buffet Next to Ruby Tuesday and McDonald's in LaVale. Large selection, reasonable prices, quick in & out service. Mix of Chinese and American items plus sushi bar.

Henny's Grill & Bar 1290 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-1746 ~ Steak, seafood, pasta. Have been able to accommodate larger groups on short notice (reservations recommended)

Asian Garden 1235 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-8577 ~quality Chinese & Thai cuisine. walk in and carryout service.

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant & Bar 11 Bowery Street, Frostburg, MD 301-689-2220 ~ a favorite place of the University crowd (reservations recommended)

Linda's Old Furnace Restaurant Route 28 Furnace Acres, Ridgeley, WV 304-738-7000 ~ just south of the field along Route 28. We frequently call in lunch requests and they have it ready for carryout when we get there. Our favorite is their turkey club sandwich. Also a good breakfast spot on the way to the field. Very basic place, but reasonable prices and good food.

Hope this all helps, we look forward to seeing everyone again and some great flying!
    Last edited by JimD; 03-01-2016, 04:44 PM. Reason: Added online registration link
    A Site for Soar Eyes

It would be greatly appreciated if all of those who have tow planes would please bring them and take a turn towing. As the event host, it is difficult to manage all of the logistics and still have time to fly so I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

BTW, I will provide fuel...premium pump gas mixed 40:1 with Red Line 2-stroke Synthetic Racing Oil.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

You bet Jim!
      Count me in.
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Len, I will be in Salem, start to finish, to return the favor!

Count me in Jim, should I bring the whisper Decathlon or the oh so smooth Turbine Porter. Snatch will no doubt have the Pawnee or Decathlon.

Jeremy and Ben
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Jim,

Porter #1 will be there ready for duty!

Steve K
        Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Jim, I hope to be there for at least some of this event. I am 3 1/2 weeks post total knee replacement. Things are going well and as long as they continue, I should be ther for at least a couple days

Comment

The new www.scalesoaring.com website launched on Thursday, February 25, 2016, go check it out and best of all, use the new online event registration feature. Doing so will make life a lot easier for the event hosts, plus it will save you valuable flying time as you arrive at the event!

Please Register Here if you plan to attend, Thank You!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

That was nice and easy, it gets the of approval.

Jeremy and Ben
              SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

We have received eight online registrations already! This new feature is slick, slick, slick!!!!!

What an asset to an event coordinator to have this registration information in advance of an event. Having hosted numerous events, I can tell you that the behind the scenes logistics are stressful and time consuming, and if you misjudge the food and refreshments and over buy, it can be expensive and wasteful..

Thank you to all who have used the online registration and please encourage others to do the same!
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Jim,

How do you look at who has registered for your event. I wanted to check Windy Ridge.

Steve K
                  Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• JimD
                    JimD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steve, if you are the event host and have submitted your email as the contact, you should be receiving email copies of each person's registration info. Have you checked your email?

Tanks Jim. I registered and got an email

Steve K
                  Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Steve,
                    I'll looked in the system and so far you and me.

LEN
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Looks like our steps will be ready for the event!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

A big THUMBS up to you Jim. Yet one more thing you are doing for everyone to enjoy your site. THANK YOU.
                        Len Buffinton
                        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Wow! A nice wide staircase right up the center!

It just keeps getting better and better and better....
                          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Working...
                          X