• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Cumberland, MD Summer Soaring

7th Annual Cumberland Summer Soaring ~ July 17-21, 2019

***click here to register***

Date: July 17-21, 2019

***Scheduling a five day weather window for the event (Wednesday-Sunday), but the field will be open for those that wish to came earlier or stay later.***

Flying Style:

All manner of sailplanes are welcome and weather conditions will dictate flying style, so bring everything...slopers to floaters, foamies to giant scale...because conditions can vary widely over the span of several days. Typically, July is very sunny and warm, so bring a popup shade and plenty of water to drink.

Landing fee:

$20.00/day or $60.00 for 3 or more (Why come for just 1-2 days when the best deal is three or more)

HighPoint Aviation Airfield atop Knobley Mountain three miles south of Cumberland, MD in West Virginia.

Directions to the HighPoint Aviation Airfield:

GPS data for airfield:Latitude: North 39° 34.872' Longitude: West 78° 48.230'

***Please note updated directions***
    • In Cumberland, Exit from I-68 onto Industrial Boulevard (eastbound)
    • From Industrial Boulevard, exit right onto Canal Parkway
    • Canal Parkway becomes West Virginia Route 28 after crossing the Potomac River Bridge.
    • Continue on WV Route 28 about 2.5 miles to Route 28 Auto Sales (on right).
    • Turn right onto Heavener Road at Route 28 Auto Sales.
    • From this point it is 1.8 miles to the airfield on top of Knobley Mountain.
    • Continue on this paved road 0.2 miles to the top of the hill.
    • Turn left onto the unpaved road (Street sign says Thicket, but wooden sign on tree says Ridge Road. Apple Maps identifies this road as Old Ridgeley Road and Google Maps identifies it as Ridge Road).
    • Continue 0.3 miles around the ridge until you cross under the power lines.
    • Turn left onto Sunny Side Drive.
    • Continue a short distance (0.1 miles) to the divide in this road.
    • Go to the right at the divide. Neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps show the road beyond this point, but it is visible on the satellite view. Continue on this gravel road for 1.2 miles to the airfield on top of Knobley Mountain.

• Hairpin turn has been widened.

Food & Facilities on the Field:

* A light lunch will be offered for purchase each day at about 1:00pm.

* Bring what snacks and drinks you will consume the rest of the day and please take your empty wrappers and bottles with you because there is no trash removal service available for the airfield.

* There are port-a-pot facilities on site. Camping is allowed, but there are no hookups for electricity or water.

* Bring layers of clothing because the temperature can vary widely over the same day and don't forget sunblock and skin lotion because sun and wind burn are common otherwise.

Recommended places to stay:

Fairfield Inn & Suites in Cumberland, MD

This facility is closest to the field (about 5 miles away) and has the best quality rooms in the area, but their parking lot is tight. It is also in walking distance of many family oriented historic sites, shops, and restaurants.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...es-cumberland/

Hampton Inn Cumberland

This facility is about 5-1/2 miles away and just opened within the last year. It is located on the east side of Cumberland adjacent to I-68.

Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland, MD

This facility opened about two years ago and is located just east of Cumberland along I-68 about 7 miles away. Adjacent to Love's Truck Stop and several restaurants including McDonalds.

Comfort Inn & Suites in LaVale, MD:

This facility is about twelve miles from the field, has very nice rooms, and a large parking lot. It is in easy driving distance of many restaurants, large box stores like WalMart, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Martin's Market.

Holiday Inn Express in LaVale, MD:

This facility just opened in the late fall of 2015. It is just a short distance down the road from the Comfort Inn and is likewise about twelve miles from the field.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/e...&icdv=99504425

Braddock Best Western in LaVale, MD

This is an older facility that has been a favorite for those attending the Fall Soar for Fun for many years ago. It was considered the "headquarters" for the CASA group. It has been well maintained over time and offers rooms with parking at the door as well as more budget friendly rates.

https://www.reservation-desk.com/hot...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Days Inn & Suites in Frostburg, MD
    :

This facility is about seventeen miles from the field, has nice rooms, and more reasonable rates for the budget conscious.

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/maryla...hotel-overview

Evening Dining with Local Flavor:

While there are the typical chain restaurants in the LaVale area;
    Bob Evans
    (301-729-0160),
    Cracker Barrel
    (301-729-0649),
    Denny's
    (301-729-6600),
    Applebee's
    (301-729-4189), and
    Ruby Tuesday
    (301-729-8738). You may want to check out some of the local favorites:

Ristorante Ottaviani
    25 N Centre Street, Cumberland, MD 301-722-0052 ~fine dining Italian cuisine (reservations recommended)

Puccini Restaurant
    12901 Ali Ghan Road, (east of town off I-68) Cumberland, MD 301-777-7822 ~historic setting, wood fired pizza specialty plus steak & seafood (reservations recommended)

Fratelli Restaurant & Bar
    359 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-1777 ~ Steak, seafood, and pasta specialties. Can accommodate larger groups with advanced notice. (reservations recommended)

D'Atri's Restaurant
    18 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-0052 ~great breakfast, specialty is steak hoagie for lunch, and Italian dishes for dinner. Very reasonable prices, walk in dining, but can have long wait at peak times for lunch and dinner.

Henny's Grill & Bar
    1290 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-1746 ~ Steak, seafood, pasta. Have been able to accommodate larger groups on short notice (reservations recommended)

Asian Garden
    1235 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-8577 ~quality Chinese & Thai cuisine. walk in and carryout service.

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant & Bar
    11 Bowery Street, Frostburg, MD 301-689-2220 ~ a favorite place of the University crowd (reservations recommended)

Linda's Old Furnace Restaurant
    Route 28 Furnace Acres, Ridgeley, WV 304-738-7000 ~ just south of the field along Route 28. We frequently call in lunch requests and they have it ready for carryout when we get there. Our favorite is their turkey club sandwich. Also a good breakfast spot on the way to the field. Very basic place, but reasonable prices and good food.

Hope this all helps, we look forward to seeing everyone again and some great flying!
    A Site for Soar Eyes

I'm registered Jim, looking forward to it as always! I'm sorry to inform the regulars who stay at the Fairfield Inn, that Janet was unable to get any discounted rooms for this event, as this is the the busiest time of year for them! I do believe they have rooms at the regular rate available, book soon!

Jeremy
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Me too...
      This Will be first time I can spend more than a day at this summer event

Comment

same here les and i from ky thursday through sunday............cant wait.

Comment

The Model Box......Shameless Commercial #1

Only just over 2 weeks away from this great event, if you have any needs please give us a call at the shop, 205 978 8787 and I will do my best to fulfill your wishes.
          I will bring along some Night Radians and the 3m Fox, these are on Back Order once again, also have some spare props for this model! We appreciate your business

Jeremy

SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

The Model Box........Shameless Commercial #2

Well, just over a week until the event, if you do need anything that we do not have in stock, I will need to know by Thursday!
            Thank's to you guy's who already have placed an order, we appreciate it greatly.

Jeremy

SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I have owned the HighPoint Aviation Airfield since 1992 and aside from mowing and property taxes, one of the biggest ongoing expenses is upkeep of the 1.5 miles of private road to the field. Heavy rains take a toll by way of erosion and we had a downpour on the 4th of July that caused more damage. So...we spent the day yesterday hauling gravel and cutting back brush to get the road in shape for the event. Looks great now...thanks to all who support the events at the HighPoint Airfield, it really helps cover these expenses.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Road 2019.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	37476
              A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Jim, many thanks for all you do to keep this beautiful site looking great and a safe route to the top.

Comment

Ditto that, thanks for your passion to support our passion Jim!

Jeremy

SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Yes, +1 it has come a long way.
                    Gunny
                    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

I've been driving up that mountain since November of 1989, I can't imagine the amount of time and gravel that has been invested to get us all up to almost heaven. THANKS!

PS: Nothing has or will make up for the year in a downpour when the road was an actual river and I came up behind a station wagon hung up on the center hump by its rear axle casing, both wheels off the ground because the ruts to either side were so deep.
                      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Visited this field back in "75" (that's 1975). What a wonderful day of flying! The road Young Dr. Dolly has given us is like a super highway compared to the washed out logging road that was used back then. I would venture a guess that our landing fees only put a dent in the new gravel, grading and maintenance on the road. Thank You, thank you, thank you.

Mark

Comment

Less than a week to go and here is the registration list update:

Pete A
                          Len B
                          George B
                          Jim D
                          Peter G
                          Dave H
                          Jeremy H
                          Dustin I
                          Jeff J
                          Mike K
                          Steve K
                          Bill L
                          Joe L
                          Carl L
                          Matt L
                          Bob M
                          James N
                          Tom P
                          Steve P
                          Burt P-R
                          Stephane R
                          Erich S
                          Conio S
                          Harvinder S
                          Dan S
                          Scot S
                          Tom S
                          Mark Y
                          Last edited by JimD; 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM. Reason: Updated List
                          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Attention Attendees.

This summer gathering in Cumberland will be yet another epic soaring event. It has been mentioned since the number of attendees to this event will easily be double the number we had a few weeks ago, it will be impossible for Jim to provide dinners on the mountain every night like he did recently at the FLASH MOB AEROTOW.
                            There will be lunch provided each day, and with the excellent summer weather and late sunset, flying well into the late evening is a daily occurrence, you guys will need to bring your own dinner.

Options are,

Leave and go to a restaurant. ... And miss out on the best flying of the day, not to mention the year.

Go down the mountain and get dinner and bring it back.

Bring food up and put it in your cooler for later.

Bring a small BBQ or Hibachi grill and cook at the field. ( My choice)

Whatever you choose to do, hopefully you'll be able to stay and experience the night flying spectacular. ( and possibly the ice cream night cap)

So, go get a grill and see you on the mountain.

LEN
                            Len Buffinton
                            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• JimD
                              JimD commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The Windy Ridge Club has set the "GOLD STANDARD" for meals at the field. They have a dedicated group of guys that spend basically all day in either preparing, serving, or cleaning up. Providing meals takes planning, purchasing, preparing for an often undetermined number of people. Striking the balance between not enough and too much is always a challenge.

Our goal has been to serve a low cost and high quality lunch daily. Beyond that, it would take away lot of stress to have everyone cover their own needs.

Thanks Len for your suggestion!!!

The Model Box........Last Shameless Commercial Before The Event

Just a few days until the event, if you do need anything that we have in stock let me know, we are down to one 3m FMS Fox, they are currently on Back Order. i will have a couple of the Turbo Beaver's (also on BO) available and some Night Radians, I will bring along a couple of close out deals! Jim's glue bucket will be replenished for all you builders and I'll have many other items with me, including Smart Batteries and Chargers!
                            Thank's to you guy's who already have placed an order, we appreciate your business

Jeremy

SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Working...
                            X