Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenmuth Aerotow Festival - Aug 17-18th, 2019

Hey Guys,

We are prepping for another great weekend of aerotow and this is the expected thread for the event. lol...

When; Aug 17-18, 2019
    Where: Frankenmuth Aeromodelers Field, Frankenmuth Michigan
    What: Aerotow with Electrics Welcome

This event is designed to allow newbies a chance to try aerotow for the first time and give current aerotow pilots as much flight time as we can pack into a weekend.

The FAT Fest an AMA sanctioned event and AMA is required for all pilots.

So far we have Stephane and George registered with tugs. The Bidule 111, a Pilatus turbo, and I am planing to have my 50cc Storch sorted fully by the event for tug duty. Big Tugs are always needed so don't be shy ! We can use them all.

The field is within 15 minutes of downtown Frankenmuth or the Outlet Stores in Birch Run which makes it a great get away for family members that may want to sneak away for a fun excursion.

Camping is ok at the field. However, there are no hook ups so you need to be self sufficient.

We plan to have a quad or 2 available again to get video of your sailplanes in action. If you'd like action shots be sure to ask for them to follow you. They only fly with you by your request.

Here's the video from last year.

Joe

EDIT: >>>>>> lol.... I updated the flier and forgot to change the year in the file name.... It's the correct file just dumbly labeled.....

Attached Files
    Last edited by Joespeeder; 08-09-2019, 08:22 PM.

I'm in! That was lots of fun last year!

Comment

Great news Mike !

Each year we learn a little more and always have fun...

Joe

Comment

Hey Guys,

Just an update to say hi and remind everyone of the FAT Fest next month.

I have had a very busy year with family health issues in the spring and then lots of activity in the world of sports car stuff. I'm looking forward to a couple days of flying and relaxing at the FAT fest.

We have Stéphane all set to help us with towing and a couple other tugs lined up including a 40% Carbon Cub. As always, we can use all the tugs and help we can get.

We plan to have nice weather and a relaxed weekend of flying. Hope to see you there !

Joe

Comment

I'll be there! I had a great time last year!

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            I have room at Hampton Inn in Birch Run

Hey Guys,

Just a quick hello to say we have registrations coming in which include tugs, sailplanes, and spectators !! Looking forward to a relaxed weekend of sailplane flying and hanging out.

We have indications that we'll have one or two high level drone pilots to do some follow along video of sailplanes in flight. If you'd like to see in flight footage of your aircraft in our video let them know.

Hope to see you there !

Joe

Comment

Looking forward to see everyone, last year was a blast, this year should be even more fun!

Stéphane
            Stéphane
            Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              The truck is loaded and the drive starts tomorrow. Whoopeeeee!

This one is now in the history books! I flew so much my feet hurt. No sailplanes got damaged for the event that I know which is a bonus! I only flew on Saturday... had to drive home Sunday...got there Friday. The weather was outstanding and the field was excellent. Many pilots had some pretty decent 'rides'! Most importantly, the good folks hosting the event are awesome! They even arranged for lunch. Those are the best tasting franks/ hot dogs! Thanks to Joe, Bill, Gino and the rest of the Frankenmuth Aeromodelers Club for having this event! Stéphane did most of the towing and Joe towed quite a bit with his electric Cub. I plan to go next year and will try to take more time off from work to get two days flying done! Thanks! Michael

Comment

What mike said!

here is couple pictures of Saturday

Stéphane
              Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice pics! I'm such a dummy and left my camera 'on' so its battery was dead. I got no pics to show *sniff* and *boo hoo* I wanted to get Ed's Schweizer maiden but looks like Stéphane got it! That's Joe's Minimoa landing!

Sounds like another good areotow in the making!!

As always, Mike Kelly puts in the windshield time and attends. Great job guys.
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Yessir! The drive isn't too bad. The worst was the construction near Florence KY and across the river around Cincy. That delayed the drive about an hour.

Hi Guys !

Thanks ! Kind words indeed. We had a great weekend and worked Stéphane a lot ! An event like this works with everyone working together and I got great comments from the club members. They really enjoyed hosting and see all the great sailplanes and pilots.

I’ll post photos once I receive the shots from the photographer we had there. He worked registration and shot photos.

As I mentioned at the pilots meeting I’m really a guest there although I join each year. My main club is an hour South of the Frankenmuth field. I work with Gino each year on this event and Frankenmuth steps up to make sure everything looks nice.

Frankenmuth is a club of about 23-25 members in total. Yet with their help we have a first class venue within close proximity to Frankenmuth, MI and some cool side events to checkout after flying.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and for joining us for the event !

Stephane, is it ok if I grab some of your photos when I make up the event video ?

Talk you you soon.

Joe

Comment

Here are some photos from one of the Detroit Hiking and Soaring Club Guys.... They run competitive sailplane events almost every weekend all summer long. Many of them came to the FAT Fest and several showed off their DLG skills when traffic allowed. Fun to watch them launching the DLG’s !

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hLYWlFWDdPS2RR

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice photos! It was a pretty day!

Hey Guys,

I just opened the FAT Fest video link. YouTube's music is a real pain to work with nowadays. I used to be able to easily add music from their library but now it's such a pain.

I'll update it later if I can find better music they allow.....

But alt least you can see the event. Enjoy.

Joe

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice pictures! Thanks Joe!
              Working...
              X