• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice pics and video!
    Gunny
    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Jeremy (AKA) ''Swiss1'' did a great job of getting this video made with his Blade Chroma and Stephane (AKA) French1 has done a great job of editing the video...

Nice work guy's!!!!

Comment

Thank's Greg, but the editing makes it what it is, so I guess I have to hand it to you Stephane
        Once again thank you Greg for all the help on the Ventus, glad you got your first tow with the plane you worked on all day, the funny thing being the question asked as you get towed "have you been towed before" with an emphatic "NO, it,s just another plane". You Jet guy's are all alike, that's why Dustin is now called "The Jolly Green Giant" for parking his Blanik in the Corn. Less flap next time Dustin.

Jeremy and Ben
        SCC AAA TT

Comment

Reflections on my first trip to the Horizon Hobby Aero Tow at the Piatt County Airport in Monticello, Illinios.

2015 has been packed with aero tow events. It started with the Cumberland Spring Soar for Fun In March, then the SKSS AeroTow weekend in April, the Michigan Radio Control Association Aerotow the first of May, the New England Aerotow Mid-May, and the Sky High Central PA Aerotow the beginning of June.

Being one of the primary tow pilots, I logged many hours of flight time on my Hangar 9 Super Decathlon and TopModel Pilatus Porter over the course of these events but no sailplane time other than two flights on Len's new Hangar 9 ASW 20 at the New England Aerotow event. I was really impressed with the ASW 20 subsequently ordered one for myself so I would have it for the Horizon Hobby event.

Sometimes things work in ways that you most listen to what is being communicated! First, FedEx did not deliver the model on time and I missed out on two available build days. Then work asked me to cover four extra days, so I missed out on another lot of building time. With only three days still available, I started the build. My plan was to also get my 1/4-scale 2-33 ready (it needed its flight battery replaced) for the Horizon trip. Starting on the battery swap, a 2-cell A123 pack for the 5-cell NiMH pack, I realized that a switch and charge jack change were also necessary. Then I remembered that I wanted to replace the rudder and fin to correct a building error that had added tail weight...plan was to make the AUW less with these changes. I started building the new fin and rudder but realized that it just was not going to happen. Mean time, the graphics I ordered for the ASW 20 did not come on time (they arrived the day I was driving to Illinios.

Checking the spoilers I had ordered revealed that they were incorrect, ordered 440mm but received 400mm! Stephane had a set of the electric spoilers that were backordered, so we planned to install them at the event. Upon getting to Illinios, I discovered that I had not brought the mounting screws or the spoiler blade covers with me! An additional issue was programming the new DX-18 transmitter I had purchased for the ASW20. Stephane walked me through that and Jeremy offered a set of spoiler covers from an ASW 20 kit he had brought with him, but by this time, that little voice in my head was saying just calm down and relax for a while!

So...that is exactly what I did!

I spent four days just taking in the sights and sounds of this amazing event. There was non stop flying, excellent food, conversation with great friends, my reclining chair and pop up shade! It was the best time I could possibly have had! A much needed time for rest and relaxation. Thanks all for your contribution to this event and here is looking forward to spending more time together.

Now it is time to go back to work...the grass at my field needs to be mowed and it is a beautiful day here in Cumberland. I will post some pictures when I get done, nothing better than freshly mowed grass at the airfield to get those flying desires fired up!
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

I love this event.
            It really doesn't matter what the forecast calls for, there's always going to be enough flying to satisfy event the most eager pilot. This year was a mix of everything. Some rain, some sun, some low ceilings and even some wind.

On Friday, the rain was forecasted to end at noon, so everyone met over at the Horizon Hobby facility and took a guided tour of this massive complex. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! Awesome service department, and even a sneak peak into the research and development. ( JUST KIDDING )
            What does that mean, it means you get a chance to experience every type of flying in one long weekend. The low ceilings are the most fun when towing up to the base ( sometimes into them).
            Saturday produced a near perfect combination of weather, clouds in the early AM that broke up into blue sky with booming thermals!!
            There were no major crashes this year, which is a load statement about how the skill level has improved as well as the powerful tugs available.
            Peter called for two tugs whenever the line got long, so wait time was very short throughout the 4 day event. Also new this year was Peter Goldsmiths refurbishment 150 cc powered 3w CUB.
            WHAT A BEAST !!!
            There was nothing there he could not pull up... The power was ridiculous.

Thanks to everyone who put on the event, the tow pilots, Peter, Craig, Steve, JD, Dave, Rick and anyone else I may be forgetting.
            Thanks to Pete Burgstrum for feeding us all everyday as well as his crew. Excellent food.

And of course Missie Anderson. Without her, this event would not be possible.

But most of all, thanks to all the pilots who showed up to support Horizon Hobby and take advantage of the excellent field and great people.

LEN
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Here are some pictures to illustrate what Len wrote.

Peter Goldsmith and his DA-150 powered Cub.

Missie Anderson and her furry friend.

JD as he finished a towing session with his Hangar 9 Pawnee.

Pete Burgstrum and some helpers!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

"I love this event." ~ LenB

Len was in his element, helping people, flying, helping people, flying, helping people, flying...for those of us that know Len, this is just what he does...But when he says he loves this event, he really means it!

Here is a classic picture of Mr. Scale Soaring!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ingrahal
                  ingrahal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Amongst the chaos at last year's Huntsville Aerotow he helped me program my JR Tx. The setup kept throwing us curves but he stuck to it with a smile on his face. Like a lot of people I met at that event he is a true ambassador to this hobby/sport. Thanks Len!!!
              Working...
              X