No announcement yet.

52nd Annual Cumberland, MD Fall Soar for Fun ~ October 31 - November 4, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52nd Annual Cumberland, MD Fall Soar for Fun ~ October 31 - November 4, 2018

***click here to register***

Date: Official AMA sanctioned event is Saturday-Sunday, November 3-4, 2018

***but the airfield will be open for flying Wednesday, October 31 - Monday, November 5, 2018***

Flying Style:

Winch and bungee launching were the standard when this event began, but, as radio control systems improved and aerotowing became reliable, aerotowing giant scale sailplanes become the new normal.. That said, all manner of sailplanes are welcome and weather conditions will dictate flying style. So bring everything...slopers to floaters, foamies to giant scale. Conditions can vary widely over the span of several days.

Landing fee:

$20.00/day or $50.00 max. (Why come for just 1-3 days when the best deal is four or more)

HighPoint Aviation Airfield atop Knobley Mountain three miles south of Cumberland, MD in West Virginia.

Directions to the HighPoint Aviation Airfield:

GPS data for airfield:Latitude: North 39° 34.872' Longitude: West 78° 48.230'

***Please note updated directions***
    • In Cumberland, Exit from I-68 onto Industrial Boulevard (eastbound)
    • From Industrial Boulevard, exit right onto Canal Parkway
    • Canal Parkway becomes West Virginia Route 28 after crossing the Potomac River Bridge.
    • Continue on WV Route 28 about 2.5 miles to Route 28 Auto Sales (on right).
    • Turn right onto Heavener Road at Route 28 Auto Sales.
    • From this point it is 1.8 miles to the airfield on top of Knobley Mountain.
    • Continue on this paved road 0.2 miles to the top of the hill.
    • Turn left onto the unpaved road (Street sign says Thicket, but wooden sign on tree says Ridge Road. Apple Maps identifies this road as Old Ridgeley Road and Google Maps identifies it as Ridge Road).
    • Continue 0.3 miles around the ridge until you cross under the power lines.
    • Turn left onto Sunny Side Drive.
    • Continue a short distance (0.1 miles) to the divide in this road.
    • Go to the right at the divide. Neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps show the road beyond this point, but it is visible on the satellite view. Continue on this gravel road for 1.2 miles to the airfield on top of Knobley Mountain.

• Hairpin turn has been widened.

Food & Facilities on the Field:

* A light lunch will be offered for purchase each day at about 1:00pm

* Bring what snacks and drinks you will consume the rest of the day and please take your empty wrappers and bottles with you because there is no trash removal service available for the airfield.

* There are toilet facilities on site, but no showers or sinks.

* Camping is allowed if you are self-sufficient. There are not hookups for power or water.

* Bring layers of clothing because the temperature can vary widely over the same day and don't forget sunblock and skin lotion because sun and wind burn are common otherwise.

Recommended places to stay:

Fairfield Inn & Suites in Cumberland, MD

This facility is closest to the field (about 5 miles away) and has nice quality rooms, but their parking lot is tight. It is in walking distance of many family oriented historic sites, shops, and restaurants.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...es-cumberland/

Ramada Inn Downtown in Cumberland, MD

This facility is also close to the field (about 5 miles away) and has recently been updated, plus, their parking lot is fairly large. It is also in walking distance of many family oriented historic sites, shops, and restaurants.

http://www.hotelsone.com/cumberland-...yAAEgKBuPD_BwE

Sleep Inn & Suites near Cumberland, MD

This facility just recently opened and is the newest of the local hotels and motels, It is located just east of Cumberland along I-68 and is about 7 miles from the field. Rooms are very nice and prices are reasonable.

https://www.choicehotels.com/marylan...umberland%20md

Comfort Inn & Suites in LaVale, MD:

This facility is about twelve miles from the field, has very nice rooms, and a large parking lot. It is in easy driving distance of many restaurants, large box stores like WalMart, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Martin's Market.

Holiday Inn Express in LaVale, MD:

This facility just opened in the late fall of 2015. It is just a short distance down the road from the Comfort Inn and is likewise about twelve miles from the field.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/e...&icdv=99504425

Braddock Best Western in LaVale, MD

This is an older facility that has been a favorite for those attending the Fall Soar for Fun for many years ago. It was considered the "headquarters" for the CASA group. It has been well maintained over time and offers rooms with parking at the door as well as more budget friendly rates.

https://www.reservation-desk.com/hot...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Evening Dining with Local Flavor:

While there are the typical chain restaurants in the LaVale area; Bob Evans (301-729-0160), Cracker Barrel (301-729-0649), Denny's (301-729-6600), Applebee's (301-729-4189), and Ruby Tuesday (301-729-8738). You may want to check out some of the local favorites:

Ristorante Ottaviani
    25 N Centre Street, Cumberland, MD 301-722-0052 ~fine dining Italian cuisine (reservations recommended)

Puccini Restaurant
    12901 Ali Ghan Road, (east of town off I-68) Cumberland, MD 301-777-7822 ~historic setting, wood fired pizza specialty plus steak & seafood (reservations recommended)

Fratelli Restaurant & Bar
    359 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-1777 ~ Steak, seafood, and pasta specialties. Can accommodate larger groups with advanced notice. (reservations recommended)

D'Atri's Restaurant
    18 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-0052 ~great breakfast, specialty is steak hoagie for lunch, and Italian dishes for dinner. Very reasonable prices, walk in dining, but can have long wait at peak times for lunch and dinner.

Grand China Buffet
    Next to Ruby Tuesday and McDonald's in LaVale. Large selection, reasonable prices, quick in & out service. Mix of Chinese and American items plus sushi bar.

Henny's Grill & Bar
    1290 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-1746 ~ Steak, seafood, pasta. Have been able to accommodate larger groups on short notice (reservations recommended)

Asian Garden
    1235 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-8577 ~quality Chinese & Thai cuisine. walk in and carryout service.

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant & Bar
    11 Bowery Street, Frostburg, MD 301-689-2220 ~ a favorite place of the University crowd (reservations recommended)

Linda's Old Furnace Restaurant
    Route 28 Furnace Acres, Ridgeley, WV 304-738-7000 ~ just south of the field along Route 28. We frequently call in lunch requests and they have it ready for carryout when we get there. Our favorite is their turkey club sandwich. Also a good breakfast spot on the way to the field. Very basic place, but reasonable prices and good food.

Hope this all helps, we look forward to seeing everyone again and some great flying!
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Janet (Swissmiss) has once again been in touch with Katie at the Fairfield Inn Cumberland. She has blocked us some discounted rooms for the event,
    you cant get in direct contact with her using the information below and mention the Aerotow to receive you discount!

Mrs. Katie Morris

Director of Sales & Marketing

Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott

21 North Wineow Street

Cumberland, Md 21502

Phone: 301.722.0340

Direct Line: 301-876-6037

Facebook: Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Cumberland

And remember it customary to leave a 6 pack of your local brew for her at the front desk when you check in!

Jeremy
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Booked in at the Fairfield! Thanks Mr. Swiss

Comment

• Swiss1
        Swiss1 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are welcome Carl, do I need to put you on the list for a Night Radian?

Sad News today, our go to person at the Fairfiled Inn Katie, is leaving for a new career opportunity on the 19th of this month The GM told Janet that they will still try to help us out in the future and hopefully Janet can make a good connection with the new director of sales when they find one! So no need to bring Beer for Katie, just bring Whisky for me As usual I will bring merchandise to the event, and if you need a special order please let me know! I will have the new Night Radians with me, they are really cool with the adjustable light sequences, we flew one at the Huntsville Aerotow this past weekend!

The Model Box 205 978 8787

Jeremy
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats for Katie. And, I already bought her a nice pack of one on the finer local craft beers this past weekend. Oh well, off to cool these puppies down. Prost! Na Zdorovie! Cheers!

The Model Box Shameless Commercial #2

Gentlemen, if you are in need of any building supplies for your latest project or want one of the, 'cannot live without Night Radians" to fly on the mountain, please call The Model Box 205.978.8787.
      I need to know your needs for any special order items by latest Thursday 25th! Thanks to all for your previous orders

Jeremy
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Good news, Ali Machinchy from Horizon will be joining us, he will be bringing along two versions of the ASH 31 for all you guys who have not seen or flown it yet! The X Cub will also be making the journey and to top it off he will be bringing both development Electric and Gas Timber's! So make sure you attend and have all your questions ready for Ali.

Shameless Commercial #3
        And remember I will be bringing the Night Radians for you to purchase and fly early evening, they are a blast............just ask Len, he will be bringing his along

Jeremy
        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

My reservation is all set...I'll be there for Saturday and Sunday....looking forward to seeing everyone.

Bob

Comment

• Swiss1
            Swiss1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thought you were not able to attend Bob!

• BobM
            BobM commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a sailplane that I need to deliver.......it gives me a great reason to come and see everyone !

• BobM
            BobM commented
            Editing a comment
            Change of plans for me and I won't be able to make it.....hope everyone has a great time.

I'm all set. Emailed with Katie and got in at the Fairfield. Will be coming from Newport News, VA. Should be there Wed afternoon. Leaving Sun am for the run South back to Pensacola.

Comment

Registration List to Date:

Burt P-R
            Carl L
            Frank Z
            Matt L
            Steve P
            Rick K
            Jim D
            Tom S
            Conio S
            Steven Y
            Len B
            Jim N
            Bill L
            George B
            Russell B
            Tom McP
            Jeremy H
            David H
            Jim A
            Tom P
            Scot S
            Ali M
            Robert M
            Erich S
            John L
            Ed D
            Peter G
            Dustin I
            Stephane R
            Last edited by JimD; 10-26-2018, 10:38 AM.
            A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Hey, ya'll! This is Janet, aka Swiss Miss, and I wanted to let you know that my contact at the Fairfield Inn, Katie, is leaving. Today is her last day.
              Our new contact will be Janine, the General Manager. Please see the email from Katie...

If the guys wanted to continue the gifts. Not required at all, but Janine is not a beer drinker..lol She does love sweets and snacks! Lol so if they want to stop along the way with things we don’t have around here. I’m sure she would greatly appreciate it. Again, not required. J

Mrs. Katie Morris

Director of Sales & Marketing

Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott

21 North Wineow Street

Cumberland, Md 21502

Phone: 301.722.0340

Direct Line: 301-876-6037

Facebook: Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Cumberland

Thanks, ya'll!

Swiss Miss

Comment

Do we need to pack a snow shovel?

Comment

• French1
                  French1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Snow shower are so yesterday...
                  We need a snowblower!

Burt P-R
                Carl L
                Frank Z
                Matt L
                Steve P
                Rick K
                Jim D
                Tom S
                Conio S
                Steven Y
                Len B
                Jim N
                Bill L
                George B
                Russell B
                Tom McP
                Jeremy H
                David H
                Jim A
                Tom P
                Scot S
                Ali M
                Robert M
                Erich S
                John L
                Ed D
                Peter G
                Dustin I
                Stephane R
                Gary H
                Last edited by JimD; 10-27-2018, 01:39 PM.
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

The Model Box Shameless Commercial #4

OK Guy's, my window to place any orders for you through Horizon is now closed, so if there is anything you need that I have in stock I need to know by latest Tuesday the 30th, as we will be heading that way on Wednesday. Thanks to all who have placed an order, I will have a few extra Night Radians on hand for those who have not pre-ordered one, they are a blast, ask Len!

Jeremy
                  SCCAAA TT TN
                  Last edited by Swiss1; 10-28-2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Burt P-R
                    Carl L
                    Frank Z
                    Matt L
                    Steve P
                    Rick K
                    Jim D
                    Tom S
                    Conio S
                    Steven Y