No announcement yet.

Black Dirt Aerotow 2018 - October 12-14 - Goshen, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem Steve, any flying is good flying. The day was windy and cool, but that didi not deter many of the regulars.
    Tom Mavarro was the first up and probably had twice as many flights as anyone else!! Not sure if thats good or bad? Regardless, he was the leader in air time for sure, nice job Tom.

Tomorrow promises to be a better weather day, so I'm looking forward to flying with less wind and getting the new 8m Arcus out and airborne.

See you in the AM
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len - pretty cool watching you tow Tom vertically with both planes doing rolls! Fun stuff!

Comment

A fun Saturday! Too busy flying sailplanes and towing sailplanes to take many photos but here's a favorite. The golden hour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	30565
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Thanks Bill, its fun with an overpowered tug and a light sailplane.

Today was interesting. It started out with rain until maybe 10:30, then it cleared enough to fly. We flew all day and into the darkness. Lots of great flight and decent lift at times.

The evening flying concluded with a Pizza Party, Smores, and then night flying the new NIGHT RADIAN which is absolutely at BLAST....

Everyone took turns flying the Radian in the colored lights of their choice. Its such a simple sailplane that provides so much fun.

Thanks to Jim Smith for bringing the portable camp fire too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9662.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	30570Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9668.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	30571Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9666.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	30572Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9661.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	30573Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9667.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	30574
          Attached Files
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Swiss1
            Swiss1 commented
            Editing a comment
            A SHAMELESS COMMERCIAL
            Reserve your Night Radian for delivery at the Cumberland Fall Event, call Jeremy at The Model Box 205 978 8787!
            Last edited by Swiss1; 10-17-2018, 04:37 PM.

• Steve P
            Steve P commented
            Editing a comment
            The Model Box... (205) 978-8787

• Swiss1
            Swiss1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Steve!

Excellent event Steve R! Had a ball soaring and towing. great food, company, flying and visiting. Looking forward to next year!

Steve K
          Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Thanks to Steve and the Black Dirt crew for being generous hosts. The wide open spaces made Friday’s wind easy to handle, Saturday turned out beautiful and Sunday was all we wanted. Campfire, pizza and s’mores with a side on Night Radian was a perfect ending to Saturday.

I had tons of fun contrasting flying the Antares with 11 pounds of ballast then the floaty gull-wing Reiher. The towing sessions again proved the Bidule 111 + DA100 combination is a champ including 4 successful tows of Len’s 8-meter Arcus.

Looking forward to the next next visit to the onion fields!

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Thank you to everyone involved in putting on yet another fantastic event! Black Dirt Squadron - thank you for being wonderful hosts at your beautiful site. Thanks to all the tow pilots for their investments in time and money to provide us all with professional quality towing services whenever needed and then some. And, what a great bunch of pilots to fly with! Everyone knows what to do and how to do it and things work out well as a result. I was impressed how, with three tugs running, the smaller/lighter gliders just formed a line for the lowest powered tug (along with a suggestion from its' tow pilot) while the big gliders followed the big towplanes up. Having parallel runways sure helped when multiple gliders had to land at once, calls of "Near" and "Far" runway helped, along with "Inside!," "Outside!," "Short" and "Long" meant there was room for everyone. Awesome job pilots!

Being new to the East Coast, when I decided to get back into Scale Soaring this past Spring, one of my main concerns was, "Gee, I hope I can get to fly regularly." Well, I must say you guys and gals certainly put an end to those fears. I had no idea - plus the flying sites are beyond my wildest dreams! (BTW-what is that green stuff all over the ground?) Coming from California I had my doubts. I am so glad to have hooked up with all of you and thanks again for all your help.

Bill

Comment

How can it be?

Another October event here in Goshen NY and we had good flying weather again? It's crazy.
                Steve R and the gang from the Black Dirt Squadron, along with Steve's lovely wife Suzanne, came together once again and hosted a glitch free Aerotow.

It really is a pleasure to fly with a group of guys that really know how to operate in busy times. Never is there any yelling, never any arguing, just cries of support and encouragement. When the runway gets busy after the sink cycle sets in, I saw countless times when a fellow pilot landed, another guy would quickly run out and get the plane off the runway so others had an open field.
                I'm both happy and proud to be associated with this type of community.

Thank you for all the guys who turned out and flew with us this weekend, especially the night flying crew... that was fun.

THE NIGHT RADIAN RULES !!!!!!

See you guys in Cumby
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Swiss1
                  Swiss1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A SHAMELESS COMMERCIAL #2
                  Reserve your Night Radian for delivery at the Cumberland Fall Event, call Jeremy at The Model Box 205 978 8787!
                  Last edited by Swiss1; 10-17-2018, 04:38 PM.

Thanks to Steve R and the Black Dirt Squadron for having us again this October. It is a great soaring site and they always make us feel welcome. Excellent lunches all three days.

As always, thanks to the great tow pilots for your expertise, fuel, and use of your great equipment. No tows without all three.

Thanks to Cathy S for dealing with Saturday dinner and Jim for that great fire pit Saturday night.

Can we come back next year?

I have a few photos, will post as soon as I can.

Comment

Cathy had a great time expanding her talents without her mentor (Jeff). You can't replace a guy like Jeff, but she is looking forward to learning more at future Aerotows. We both had an awesome time. Great stories, great memories! Enjoy thinking of some captions, as there are some very, lets say interesting shots I think!!

Hope the link works!

See new link below.

Of course unlimited thanks to Steve, and the whole Black Dirt crew! Outstanding hosts and a beautiful place to fly. Thanks for having us!

Scot and Cathy
                  Last edited by Stew2; 10-17-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Csessa
                    Csessa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    that link does not seem to work.

• Stew2
                    Stew2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry about that, new at this game. Try again I edited the link and used the "share" screen from Flickr, so I think it will work???

Sorry guys, trying to figure out how to fix this. Sent an e-mail to Jeff for some wisdom.... IF anybody else has some, more than interested.

Scot

Comment

• Csessa
                    Csessa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I sent you an email on this.

Trying a new link.
                  Fingers crossed and whatever else is long enough to cross.....

Explore this photo album by Catherine Stewart on Flickr!

Thanks for all the help. I THINK??? I have done all the stuff to try.

Scot

Comment

Link Works!!

Sorry I missed this one. Glad to see the pictures and reports. Makes me feel worse, er better . Glad it was another good one. Missed everybody.

Later,
                    Jeff

Comment

I see them Scott, great pics for us who were not present!

Jeremy
                      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Thanks Steve R for the perfect venue. Good to see everyone again. Always appreciate the great hospitality from this group. Thanks Tow Pilots. Dittos on the s'mores pictures and Night Radian. Jeremy I'll be giving you a call.
                        Jim

Comment

• Swiss1
                          Swiss1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Look forward to hearing from you!
                      Working...
                      X