No announcement yet.

NARCA 10th AEROTOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I didn't see a thread for this years event up on RCG. Did I miss it?

Comment

So just in time for this event, we received the first batch of Night Radians today
      I will be bringing them with me tomorrow, if you want one let me know 205 978 8787, as Horizon Hobby is sold out of the first shipment
      And if you need anything else that we may have at the shop, please let me know by midday Wednesday, as I will not be bringing much merchandise due to my Van still being at the body shop, so I am unable to bring the trailer
      See you all at the field, safe travels!

Jeremy
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• sneasle
        sneasle commented
        Editing a comment
        You don't by chance have any Pz ka8 canopies sitting in a corner, do you?

Aside from it being warm, the weather is looking gooooodddddd....

The Huntsville, Alabama Aviation Weather Report Forecast, Wind Speed, Wind Direction and Temperatures

Look forward to seeing you folks there!

Comment

Great Weekend! And no good weekend is complete without a few mishaps. The Drag Queen went for a ride, my Ka8 had a date with a tree, and Chuck's Radian tried to imitate a tunnel boring machine. There may of been a few others, but these are the ones I'm aware of.

Unfortunately, no one got what is likely to become the legendary 'Dance of the Drag Queen' on video, so it will be interesting to hear how this story gets more outlandish with future retellings.

Those who have pictures, please post them when your able!

Comment

• Swiss1
          Swiss1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Stephane, that maneuver is called the Cirque de Soleil and may never be repeated again!!
          I will not comment on it here as it is a long explanation, if you are attending Cumbeland in the fall, I will gladly explain the plot and Burt has Telemetry to share!!

Here are a few pics of the event. The weather was great for soaring! The fellas from NARCA have a nice event with a great venue at George Epp's field. Rick and company were busy preparing the lunch time meals. Chuck (shown below with his Radian XL) got some great flights with his Radian. He is new to soaring so it was really fun flying with him!!! There were a few visitors. A couple of note: Tanner, a medic in the armed forces, who desires to build an RC model sailplane and currently flies a drone and Patrick, an RC car guy, who won the raffle which was a Radian 'Flite Test' as donated by Chris Woodard. The last pic next page shows Tim B presenting the prize to Patrick! It was great meeting Patrick and his Dad at the event! Maybe we will have a couple or three new 'converts' to this segment of the hobby!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3494.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	30269Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3495.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	30270

Name:	IMG_3496.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	30271Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3497.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	30272

Name:	IMG_3498.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	30273Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3506.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	30274

Comment

More pics.

Name:	IMG_3499.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	30276Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3500.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	30277

Name:	IMG_3501.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	30278Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3502.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	30279

Name:	IMG_3503.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	30280Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3504.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	30281

Name:	IMG_3505.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	30282Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3507.JPG
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	30283

Comment

The last pic shows Tim delivering the raffle goods to Patrick. Jeremy helped Patrick get his first flights which was great! One morning a balloonist thought it fit to fly!

Name:	IMG_3508.JPG
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	30285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3570.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	30286

Name:	IMG_3571.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	30287Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3572.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	30288

My apologies for not getting 'action' shots of flying but I was busy doing same! Al, 'HotdogX', specked out his HLG which was impressive. AndyG had one of his epic fly high, get low then fly high rides of over an hour. He did that last year. Andy... you gotta come up with sump'n more sensational next time, buddy! I want to especially thank 'Rickey Bobby' for staying with me while my Balestruccio saw fit to try and disappear in the clouds! It was a fight of over 15 minutes to just try and get out of the HUGE thermal in which it was encapsulated. The Balestruccio ain't got no spoilers, folks! The Balestruccio was the shining star for me this year. The same thing happened with the Vampyr last year! Thanks to Tom 'Snatch', Al, Chris and Jeremy for towing. TomP and RickL... I missed seeing y'all leave so hope your trip home was good. Tim and Don did some flying the first day but had to leave and make funnel cakes! Later!

Comment

Thanks for posting the pix, Mike! It was great soaring with you. You certainly logged a lot of great flights with your Balestruccio and Vampyr. Lots of fun.

Thanks to everyone else who came to fly and spectate. It was a great event, even though it was on the hot side.

Thanks to all of our tow pilots for bringing their towplanes and flying them. And especially to Jeremy for bringing my favorite towplane, his turboprop Pilatus Porter - love that plane!

I thing everyone had a good time, and a lot of flying and hangar flying took place over the four days. I know I had a great time and I'm already looking forward to next year's event. For you folks who were unable to make it this year, please put it on your calendar for next year - we missed you!

Special thanks to CD Tim, Rick, Cliff, Kevin, Archie, Chuck, Rich, and many other NARCA members who handled setup/teardown, registration, cooking, and many other duties over the four day event. Y'all made it a success!

Al

Comment

I hate I wasn't able to make it this year. The weather here in Mobile was just as wonderful and I did get to fly my Radian XL yesterday with about two dozen Buzzards from about a half mile away! And one of our club members, Andy Woerner, fly his new CompARF 1/3 scale DG800s with a JetCat P100-RX turbine! Maybe I'll get up there again next year.
                [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

It was a little toasty out there but this year I brought my Ryobi battery powered fan and managed to stay comfortable while in the shade. Standing out in the sun while flying wasn't too bad as we did have a gentle breeze.

Thursday we had some very good lift but Friday you could throw a brick up and watch it soar! Wow! Just fantastic lift all day. We were spec-ing out on just about every flight. My neck got sore!

Saturday morning we had great lift but it did calm down after lunch. It was more than calm, the air was dead. Talk about great weather for trimming an airplane. It was the sort of calm that you get right before sunset except it lasted all afternoon. Sled rides but ultra smooth. Sunday the lift was back but by noon most everyone had all the fun they could handle.

Jeremy mentioned that the Drag Queen was damaged and it was. It will fly again after some fiberglass repair to the fuselage. The jury is still out on what exactly happened. Here is what I saw: Jeremy was flying the DQ hauling up Burt's ASW20 (which was Asher's plane, so Asher's DQ was hauling Asher's ASW20). Everything was going good until they were near the release altitude when they started showing concern over the tow. I was sitting in the shade and got up to see what was happening. The DQ was pointing straight down being held by the tail wheel as the ASW20 was spiraling above the DQ. Both planes were dropping to the ground in slow motion.

Luckily they both missed the trees and came down at the end of the field. When I arrived at the crash scene, the DQ was sitting there on the landing gear and looked just fine. Not even a broken prop! Well, upon a closer look it was pretty obvious that the plane had suffered a nose in strike with the ground. The engine/firewall was pushed back into the fuselage and everything that was inside the fuse had moved forward (fuel tank and batteries). A couple of cracks in the fuse were found too. The wings were untouched and the spar tube is straight.

The DQ will fly again and will also receive a few improvements during the rebuild. I just wish I had a video of the whole thing. It was WEIRD!

Comment

Here are some photos from Thursday, the first day of the event.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Al Clark; 10-09-2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

More Photos from day one.
                      Attached Files

Comment

And a few more photos from day one.
                        Attached Files

Comment

These photos were taken by my long-time modeling friend Gary Ralph, who came out to spectate on Friday and Saturday.
                          Attached Files

Comment

More photos from Gary.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• ARUP
                              ARUP commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for posting all of these cool pictures! I received your .pdf e-mail of them but can't open them due to crappy ISP.
                          Working...
                          X