• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Cumberland, Maryland Summer Soaring ~ July 18-22

6th Annual Cumberland Summer Soaring ~ July 18-22, 2018

***click here to register***

Date: July 18-22, 2018

***Scheduling a five day weather window for the event (Wednesday-Sunday), but the field will be open for those that wish to came earlier or stay later.***

Flying Style:

All manner of sailplanes are welcome and weather conditions will dictate flying style, so bring everything...slopers to floaters, foamies to giant scale...because conditions can vary widely over the span of several days. Typically, July is very sunny and warm, so bring a popup shade and plenty of water to drink.

Landing fee:

$20.00/day or $50.00 for 3 or more (Why come for just 1-2 days when the best deal is three or more)

HighPoint Aviation Airfield atop Knobley Mountain three miles south of Cumberland, MD in West Virginia.

Directions to the HighPoint Aviation Airfield:

GPS data for airfield:Latitude: North 39° 34.872' Longitude: West 78° 48.230'

***Please note updated directions***
    • In Cumberland, Exit from I-68 onto Industrial Boulevard (eastbound)
    • From Industrial Boulevard, exit right onto Canal Parkway
    • Canal Parkway becomes West Virginia Route 28 after crossing the Potomac River Bridge.
    • Continue on WV Route 28 about 2.5 miles to Route 28 Auto Sales (on right).
    • Turn right onto Heavener Road at Route 28 Auto Sales.
    • From this point it is 1.8 miles to the airfield on top of Knobley Mountain.
    • Continue on this paved road 0.2 miles to the top of the hill.
    • Turn left onto the unpaved road (Street sign says Thicket, but wooden sign on tree says Ridge Road. Apple Maps identifies this road as Old Ridgeley Road and Google Maps identifies it as Ridge Road).
    • Continue 0.3 miles around the ridge until you cross under the power lines.
    • Turn left onto Sunny Side Drive.
    • Continue a short distance (0.1 miles) to the divide in this road.
    • Go to the right at the divide. Neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps show the road beyond this point, but it is visible on the satellite view. Continue on this gravel road for 1.2 miles to the airfield on top of Knobley Mountain.

• Hairpin turn has been widened.

Food & Facilities on the Field:

* A light lunch will be offered for purchase each day at about 1:00pm. Breakfast and dinner meals will be offered depending on the number of persons interested.

* Bring what snacks and drinks you will consume the rest of the day and please take your empty wrappers and bottles with you because there is no trash removal service available for the airfield.

* There are port-a-pot facilities on site. Camping is allowed, but there are no hookups for electricity or water.

* Bring layers of clothing because the temperature can vary widely over the same day and don't forget sunblock and skin lotion because sun and wind burn are common otherwise.

Recommended places to stay:

Fairfield Inn & Suites in Cumberland, MD

This facility is closest to the field (about 5 miles away) and has the best quality rooms in the area, but their parking lot is tight. It is also in walking distance of many family oriented historic sites, shops, and restaurants.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...es-cumberland/

Comfort Inn & Suites in LaVale, MD:

This facility is about twelve miles from the field, has very nice rooms, and a large parking lot. It is in easy driving distance of many restaurants, large box stores like WalMart, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Martin's Market.

Holiday Inn Express in LaVale, MD:

This facility just opened in the late fall of 2015. It is just a short distance down the road from the Comfort Inn and is likewise about twelve miles from the field.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/e...&icdv=99504425

Braddock Best Western in LaVale, MD

This is an older facility that has been a favorite for those attending the Fall Soar for Fun for many years ago. It was considered the "headquarters" for the CASA group. It has been well maintained over time and offers rooms with parking at the door as well as more budget friendly rates.

https://www.reservation-desk.com/hot...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Days Inn & Suites in Frostburg, MD
    :

This facility is about seventeen miles from the field, has nice rooms, and more reasonable rates for the budget conscious.

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/maryla...hotel-overview

Evening Dining with Local Flavor:

While there are the typical chain restaurants in the LaVale area;
    Bob Evans
    (301-729-0160),
    Cracker Barrel
    (301-729-0649),
    Denny's
    (301-729-6600),
    Applebee's
    (301-729-4189), and
    Ruby Tuesday
    (301-729-8738). You may want to check out some of the local favorites:

Ristorante Ottaviani
    25 N Centre Street, Cumberland, MD 301-722-0052 ~fine dining Italian cuisine (reservations recommended)

Puccini Restaurant
    12901 Ali Ghan Road, (east of town off I-68) Cumberland, MD 301-777-7822 ~historic setting, wood fired pizza specialty plus steak & seafood (reservations recommended)

Fratelli Restaurant & Bar
    359 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-1777 ~ Steak, seafood, and pasta specialties. Can accommodate larger groups with advanced notice. (reservations recommended)

D'Atri's Restaurant
    18 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-0052 ~great breakfast, specialty is steak hoagie for lunch, and Italian dishes for dinner. Very reasonable prices, walk in dining, but can have long wait at peak times for lunch and dinner.

Grand China Buffet
    Next to Ruby Tuesday and McDonald's in LaVale. Large selection, reasonable prices, quick in & out service. Mix of Chinese and American items plus sushi bar.

Henny's Grill & Bar
    1290 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-1746 ~ Steak, seafood, pasta. Have been able to accommodate larger groups on short notice (reservations recommended)

Asian Garden
    1235 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-8577 ~quality Chinese & Thai cuisine. walk in and carryout service.

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant & Bar
    11 Bowery Street, Frostburg, MD 301-689-2220 ~ a favorite place of the University crowd (reservations recommended)

Linda's Old Furnace Restaurant
    Route 28 Furnace Acres, Ridgeley, WV 304-738-7000 ~ just south of the field along Route 28. We frequently call in lunch requests and they have it ready for carryout when we get there. Our favorite is their turkey club sandwich. Also a good breakfast spot on the way to the field. Very basic place, but reasonable prices and good food.

Hope this all helps, we look forward to seeing everyone again and some great flying!
    A Site for Soar Eyes

I just might drive over Friday, fly Saturday then leave Sunday morning. Anybody got a hotel room they might let me share one night? I can sleep on the floor!

Comment

Originally posted by ARUP View Post
      I just might drive over Friday, fly Saturday then leave Sunday morning. Anybody got a hotel room they might let me share one night? I can sleep on the floor!
      yes.....I’ll text you.
      TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

OK Gentlemen, Janet AKA Swiss Miss has been able to get some discounted rooms blocked for us at the Fairfield Inn! Summer is their busiest time of year, so we are very fortunate, please contact Katie directly to reserve your room. And remember it is customary to drop of a six pack of your local brew at the front desk for her

Jeremy
        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Wouldn’t happen to have her number handy?

Comment

(301) 722-0340

Comment

Here you go, you'r all big boys now

Hey Janet,

Just a reminder to have the guys call in that want to come in July. J I’m in the office from 7-3 Monday to Friday. They can also leave a message with their name and dates they would like to stay and I can make it for them. J

Mrs. Katie Morris
              Director of Sales & Marketing
              Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott
              21 North Wineow Street
              Cumberland, Md 21502
              Phone: 301.722.0340
              Direct Line: 301-876-6037
              Facebook: Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Cumberland

Jeremy
              SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Well, just 2 weeks to go gentlemen! So for my shameless Model Box commercial, if there is anything you guys need please let me know so I can bring anything you might need!
                Michael K and Steve K I have you covered, I'll also have all the pre-ordered packages for the ASH 31 with me, Tom P and Tom M I will be making deliveries on your new acquisitions too!
                So If we can help please call me at The Model Box 205 978 8787, remember we deliver
                And remember I will bring that beautiful Pilatus B4 4.5m that is For Sale!

Jeremy
                SCCAAA TT TN
                Last edited by Swiss1; 07-05-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Yes,
                  The Revoc covers I ordered for the Antares and Labelle
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Swiss1
                    Swiss1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now that's funny Len LOL

Can’t wait! Working toward the summer event. Should have 7.1 meters of something new to fly that's Maryland-themed.

Just need a bigger workshop!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	3 Size:	89.0 KB ID:	27696
                  Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to flying with you guys again. This will be my first trip to Cumberland.

With luck I will maiden my 1/4 scale Hall Cherokee II this weekend. Right now the weather forecast is iffy.

I'll be traveling on the 18th so I will see you guys on the 19th. Anyone staying at the Sleep Inn?
                    Tim

Comment

• JimD
                      JimD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Sleep Inn is very new and very nice from all the feedback I have received from those staying there.

Okay...Sled Works is underway and now it is time to be thinking about the next event. List of registrants to date (alphabetical):

Pete A
                    Tim B
                    Jim D
                    Jeremy H
                    Gary H
                    Darrel I
                    Dustin I
                    Kevin K
                    Steve K
                    Bill L
                    Carl L
                    Al M
                    Tom M
                    Tom P
                    Burt P-R
                    Conio S
                    Don S
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Registrations are rolling in now!!!
                      Pete A
                      Tim B
                      Len B
                      George B
                      Jim D
                      Dave H
                      Jeremy H
                      Gary H
                      Darrel I
                      Dustin I
                      Kevin K
                      Steve K
                      Bill L
                      Carl L
                      Matt L
                      Al M
                      Tom M
                      Bob M
                      Tom P
                      Steve P
                      Burt P-R
                      Conio S
                      Don S
                      Last edited by JimD; 07-13-2018, 10:43 PM. Reason: Updated List
                      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Looking good Jim, have you stocked the refrigerator yet?
                        If you guys need anything let me know, if you have made an order rest assured it is hear and ready to be loaded on Tuesday for the trip
                        Jim has a supply of adhesives and cover grip at TMB Cumberland location and I will bring some other items along, such as ix12, DX9, DX8, Receivers and other paraphernalia!
                        See you all there and drive safe

Jeremy
                        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• Steve P
                          Steve P commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Great. I need some glue and cover grip. Thanks for keeping us stocked-up.

• Swiss1
                          Swiss1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are welcome Steve!

To all those planning to come to the event...Could you please tell me when you plan to arrive and depart. Trying to plan food for lunch and diner at the field for each day, thanks!!!
                        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Celuft
                          Celuft commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If I make the trip, I’ll be doing Saturday only, Carl L.
                      Working...
                      X