Frankenmuth Aerotow Festival - Aug 11-12, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Mike !

I will forward this link to Mark. Thanks again for joing us everyone enjoyed your sailplanes and getting to know you. I had the same experience with not realizing Mark was flying with me... I thought it was a tiny bird ! lol

To the best of my knowledge you have Marks info correct. He’s a good guy and amazing on the sticks with that quad. He chases our Freewing F-18s just like he did the sailplanes.

He gave us the raw footage and later this week I will start to go through it and mix it with the stills and other media people are turning into me. I will create a cool video for the event and as time goes on I’ll do specific cuts of individual aircraft depending on the footage I get.... Event video first... the others will be after the flying season treats.

Thanks for the Storch shots ! The plane is still in the dialing in stage. It’s flying, it did it’s fist tow, and I need some independent remote glows so I can fire the cylinders independently. I think my low end is too lean,,,, but it’s flying and I’m tuning. Plus I’ll have to play with getting use to flying using the full flap. It’s pretty dramatic with 40 degrees flap and 20 degrees flaperon.... so I’m in the fun part of the setting things up now.

Today was very relaxed and Stephane towed me a bunch plus a few others. I dialed in the Rhonsperber better. It needed 1 3/4 oz’s more nose weight and now feels much better. It was too skidish and hunting. I’m very close now and I may just bump my battery size to add a little more “usable” weight.

We we got rave reviews from the core club guys and they really enjoyed hosting everyone. I think this will be an event that will continue to grow for as long as we can do it. This weekend was the result of 3-4 years of getting everything to align and set up. Literally joining the club to host this event and generating or finding all that was needed to be able to do intro flights for sport pilots from scratch.

I’ll post pics, and other media as I get it and can get it up here.

Joe

BTW, Next year there will be beans instead of corn. The field is huge when it’s beans. I’m still very new at the thermaling thing. Do bean field generate more thermals? I can use all the help I can get. lol

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm starting to collect the media files and thought I'd share a few I'll post more as I work through them and do the video but these will get you started.

Joe

Comment

Big thanks to Joe and Gino for organizing this very nice Aerotow for us.

It was great to be able to bring the family with me, there is some many things to do in Frankenmuth, not speaking of the big outlet mall in Birchrun!!! I am sure that I will have the green light to come next year and that she will come with me again!

Weather has been optimal, has been great to be able to meet everyone we met last year and to see some new faces. The hobby is growing!

here is a link with my pictures

Stéphane
        Stéphane
        Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Hi Stephane,

We were very happy to have everyone join us for the event. Thanks for your support and kind words. We couldn’t have done it without your help.

Gino and I were the figureheads but the rest of Frankenmuth Aeromodelers really stepped up to provide a first class flying surface and experience for all the pilots over the weekend. The field prep and food service was exceptional and they made everyone feel very welcome during the event. The club consists of 23 members and our event made such an impression there has been talk about setting aside one day a week for sailplanes at the field. I think just sailplanes in general was the talk. It may be the excitement of the event but it did generate a lot of good feelings within the club. Big thanks to the Aeromodelers !

Next year I’m told the fields will be planted with beans so seeing and finding aircraft that may stray into unexpected journeys will be easier.

Stephane, if you don’t mind I will download a few of your photos for an event video and to use for other promotions. Great pics !

Thanks again to all who joined us with a special shout out to Mike for driving from Kentucky! It is truly a gift to have everyone spend several hours in travel time to help a new event get off the ground. It’s noticed and very much appreciated.

See everyone soon!

Joe
          Last edited by Joespeeder; 08-19-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Joe! I had a lot of fun socializing and flying at that event and it was worth every minute of drive time! It was a first class aerotow put on by first class folks at a first class club field! To top it off... there was no landing fee! LOL Thanks again for the free key rings and hat.

Hey Guys,

Here's the video.

Joe

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice vid with great music!
        Working...
        X