9th Annual Cumberland Maryland Spring Soar For Fun ~ March 21-25, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9th Annual Cumberland Maryland Spring Soar For Fun ~ March 21-25, 2018

Time to open the 2018 season here in the northeastern USA and the guys from Team Gorgeous (Tom, Erich, Russ, and Dave) will be pitching in to help!

***CLICK HERE TO REGISTER***

Along with our normal plans, The Team Gorgeous guys will be sponsoring a Saturday Lunch Buffet Extravaganza!!!! Tom says it will be a German theme with burgers, sausage, and German potato salad.

Yum...I'd be there just for the food!!!!

Date: Wednesday, March 21 - Sunday, March 25, 2018

Place: HighPoint Aviation Airfield in Wiley Ford, West Virginia (three miles south of Cumberland, MD)

Info/Directions: www.highpoint-aviation.org

Tom adds the seasoning to the burgers at the November Soar for Fun while Jeremy flips and Dave and Darrel supervise!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3860.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	22821

A Site for Soar Eyes

Registered Pilots:

Scot S (Note that he is the very first, numero uno...thanks Scot!!!!)
    Matt L
    Dave H
    Steve P
    Steve K
    Tim B
    Jim D
    Tom P
    Carl L
    George B
    Conio S
    Erich S
    Ed D
    Kevin K
    Burt P-R
    Rick K
    Mike K
    Craig G

Jeremy H
    Dustin I
    Len B
    Stephane R
    Brian B
    Darrel I
    John L

Recommended places to stay:

Fairfield Inn & Suites in Cumberland, MD

This facility is closest to the field (about 5 miles away) and has nice quality rooms, but their parking lot is tight. It is in walking distance of many family oriented historic sites, shops, and restaurants.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...es-cumberland/

Ramada Inn Downtown in Cumberland, MD

This facility is also close to the field (about 5 miles away) and has recently been updated, plus, their parking lot is fairly large. It is also in walking distance of many family oriented historic sites, shops, and restaurants.

http://www.hotelsone.com/cumberland-...yAAEgKBuPD_BwE

Sleep Inn & Suites near Cumberland, MD

This facility just recently opened and is the newest of the local hotels and motels, It is located just east of Cumberland along I-68 and is about 7 miles from the field. Rooms are very nice and prices are reasonable.

https://www.choicehotels.com/marylan...umberland%20md

Comfort Inn & Suites in LaVale, MD:

This facility is about twelve miles from the field, has very nice rooms, and a large parking lot. It is in easy driving distance of many restaurants, large box stores like WalMart, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Martin's Market.

Holiday Inn Express in LaVale, MD:

This facility just opened in the late fall of 2015. It is just a short distance down the road from the Comfort Inn and is likewise about twelve miles from the field.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/e...&icdv=99504425

Braddock Best Western in LaVale, MD

This is an older facility that has been a favorite for those attending the Fall Soar for Fun for many years ago. It was considered the "headquarters" for the CASA group. It has been well maintained over time and offers rooms with parking at the door as well as more budget friendly rates.

https://www.reservation-desk.com/hot...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Evening Dining with Local Flavor:

While there are the typical chain restaurants in the LaVale area; Bob Evans (301-729-0160), Cracker Barrel (301-729-0649), Denny's (301-729-6600), Applebee's (301-729-4189), and Ruby Tuesday (301-729-8738). You may want to check out some of the local favorites:

Ristorante Ottaviani 25 N Centre Street, Cumberland, MD 301-722-0052 ~fine dining Italian cuisine (reservations recommended)

Puccini Restaurant 12901 Ali Ghan Road, (east of town off I-68) Cumberland, MD 301-777-7822 ~historic setting, wood fired pizza specialty plus steak & seafood (reservations recommended)

Fratelli Restaurant & Bar 359 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-1777 ~ Steak, seafood, and pasta specialties. Can accommodate larger groups with advanced notice. (reservations recommended)

D'Atri's Restaurant 18 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-0052 ~great breakfast, specialty is steak hoagie for lunch, and Italian dishes for dinner. Very reasonable prices, walk in dining, but can have long wait at peak times for lunch and dinner.

Grand China Buffet Next to Ruby Tuesday and McDonald's in LaVale. Large selection, reasonable prices, quick in & out service. Mix of Chinese and American items plus sushi bar.

Henny's Grill & Bar 1290 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-1746 ~ Steak, seafood, pasta. Have been able to accommodate larger groups on short notice (reservations recommended)

Asian Garden 1235 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-8577 ~quality Chinese & Thai cuisine. walk in and carryout service.

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant & Bar 11 Bowery Street, Frostburg, MD 301-689-2220 ~ a favorite place of the University crowd (reservations recommended)

Linda's Old Furnace Restaurant Route 28 Furnace Acres, Ridgeley, WV 304-738-7000 ~ just south of the field along Route 28. We frequently call in lunch requests and they have it ready for carryout when we get there. Our favorite is their turkey club sandwich. Also a good breakfast spot on the way to the field. Very basic place, but reasonable prices and good food.

Hope this all helps, we look forward to seeing everyone again and some great flying!
    Last edited by JimD; 03-03-2018, 02:43 AM.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

congratulations Scot
      Better than being #2
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        Matt just registered so that makes you at least #3!!!

Wow!! Right on top until some A-Stewars or maybe any A-SS, comes along and knocks me down a peg.... At least I don't start with a Z!! Ok Dr., now that you have lined up the hired help (payable in airtime only) I sure hope to see you behind my tow plane ALOT!!!! SO looking forward to relaxing back on the slice of heaven savoring the soul food.....

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        Going to keep names in order of registration this time, easier than alphabetically too!!!

So Scot has secured his #1 spot.

Post #2 in this thread has the updated list of pilots who have registered and I also added a list of motels and restaurants for reference.
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Oh man, I’m in serious need of some Highpoint therapy. Is March here yet?
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

OK Ladies and Gentlemen, I use that last word loosely
          Janet (Swiss Miss) has worked with Katie once again at the Fairfield Inn Cumberland to block off rooms for the March Event!

Here is the information to send to the guys…the dates are March 21 – March 26. They don’t have to book this entire time, however, if they need any dates before or after these dates, they need to call Katie Morris. Her direct line is 301-876-6037.
          The rate is 79.00 per night. Bookings must be made by the 12th of March

And please remember it is customary to bring a 6 pack of your local brew for Katie, you may leave it at the front desk!

Jeremy
          SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

So to make it a little easier, here is a link for the Fairfield Inn Cumberland Aerotow bookings

Book your group rate for Cumberland Aerotow

Jeremy
            SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• Swiss1
              Swiss1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Call Katie on her direct line!!

• Celuft
              Celuft commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I’ll call her direct line

• Celuft
              Celuft commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, got thru to Katie, reserved Thursday three nights, good deal. Had a good laugh talking about Swiss1.

We just corrected a problem with the registration page link for the Spring event, seems when you clicked on the registration button for the Spring event it linked to the Fall event...sorry for the confusion, I think all is correct now.
            A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Do we have to register or talk to the Russian's to get back on the list?

Comment

• JimD
                JimD commented
                Editing a comment
                After NSA* you will need to be careful about FBI**
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                *Not Soaring Any
                **Flying By Inverted

Registered Pilots as of 2/27/2018:
              Scot S (Note that he was the very first to register!!! numero uno...thanks Scot!!!!)
              Matt L
              Dave H
              Steve P
              Steve K
              Tim B
              Jim D
              Tom P
              Carl L
              George B
              Conio S
              Erich S
              Ed D
              Kevin K
              Burt P-R
              Rick K
              Mike K
              Craig G
              A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

I'm in! Really looking forward to it. Planning to bring some fun toys from Horizon for you guys to see.

Craig

Comment

Thats awesome Craig! I'm sure you'll love being on the mountain too.
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Just updated list in post #2 above...really looking forward to seeing everyone.
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                      Just updated list in post #2 above...really looking forward to seeing everyone.
                      Don’t you have an airplane to cover? Times running out!!!!
                      TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Working...
                      X