• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll be arriving towards the later afternoon Wednesday
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I'm planning to leave early Thursday morning, arriving about noon.

Comment

Here is the shameless advert for The Model Box, if you need anything brought to the event let me know and I will do my best to fulfill your order, Al I got your PM and will bring the items you requested. Thank's Jeremy

SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Ugghhh! I am a mental dwarf at programming transmitters. Up until now, I have had two of the old 72 mb Futaba 7 channel sailplane radios and a 2.4 gb Hitec Eclipse 7. I am trying to program my "new" DX8 (I've had it for 3 years now) for use with my 1/4 scale AP Minimoa Mo6, and have downloaded and installed the sailplane firmware. But I am at a total loss as to where to go from here. I wonder if I could get some help from someone at Winamac on Thursday afternoon or evening to help me with the setup of the transmitter/sailplane before attempting a first flight. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

• French1
            French1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Al I will be there and be more than happy helping you programming your dx8

Thank you Stephane. I appreciate your help. See you Thursday.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170819_165126 (480x640).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	18843

Loaded up and ready to head to Winamac! Hoping for strong lift and good soaring flights. Can't wait to see everyone at this event. Kevin and I will be arriving around 3pm on Wednesday.

Tim

Comment

• Stew2
              Stew2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tim, A guy with lots of experience once explained to me how he does allow anything to put pressure on canopies. It looks like you have plastic wrap holding fuses onto travel boards with it over the canopies. I would hate to hear about dented, collapsed, abraded or any such evilness having occurred in your travels. Hopefully you can just move the wrapping to the center of the fuse over the airfoil areas?

Looking forward to seeing all you guys on Wednesday!
            I'm picking up Jelly Kelly on my way North and we hope to arrive late afternoon, at least in time for dinner

Jeremy and Ben
            SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Sorry for being kind of absent from the forum for a while, but this year has been crazy busy for me...fortunately that included a lot of flying.

Speaking if flying, we are finishing up our second day of non-stop aerotowing at Winamac. What a great venue and what great hospitality!
              A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

I have to agree with Jim.
                These past three weeks alone for me have been non stop busy with trailer building. Pictures and thread to come soon.
                This event has been wonderful so far, the wether is perfect and the flying is non stop.
                Ill take some pictures tomorrow for sure and post them
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks everyone for joining the fun, Miroslaw know how to receive for sure!

four days of awesome weather, non stop aerotowing weather, that kept the tow pilots busy. Big thank you to Jim for a big towing duty and to Swiss1 for helping with the cooking

here is the picture that I took on the my Flickr account

Miroslaw pictures should follow shortly

see you next year same place

stephane
                  Stéphane
                  Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Another great Winamac Aerotow.....thanks Miroslaw and to all the tow pilots!!

The weather and thermals were amazing. It never rained, the winds were light and mostly down the runway and the thermals......well....my new spinning Camping World chair got quite a workout The food....as usual was over the top....thank you Miro!!!... and to Jeremy for pitching in on that too!!!

Hilights for me.....beside all of the above, were seeing Mike's new Charlotte up close and Len's new trailer...both are Masterpiece's!! I think Len should go into the Custom RC Trailer business

Thanks for beautiful trophy too!!
                    Pete

Comment

+1 to everything Pete said. I would like to especially thank Stephane for his expert help in programming my DX8 radio; to Jeremy for his guidance helping me get my "Mini" Minimoa flying and for showing me what the rudder stick is used for and for his additional programming help; to Pete Goldsmith for his help balancing my prodigal Ka8 foamy; to Len for loaning me 3 ounces of lead for the Ka8 and for repairing my charge cable; to Tim for getting me out of a jam on an approach to landing and for subsequent support during flight. Also to Michael for his support to my novice aerotow flying and to all those who so kindly complimented my first successful aerotow flight. I have been flying RC for nearly fifty years now, but felt like a rank newbie flying the Minimoa. It is an airplane that demands "staying ahead of the airplane." I also want to thank Jim, Stephane, Pete Goldsmith and Len for their expert towing. Without them, we'd be grounded. Thanks, guys.

I am totally in awe of Len's new trailer. Ironically, I drove right through Napanee yesterday, where his trailer was manufactured. When I got home, I enthusiastically described Len's trailer to my wife and she is very supportive of my getting one after I sell my antique Vespa along with some of my other unused toys. I have contacted ATC for a quote on a smaller version of Len's trailer. In the meantime I am going the Uhaul route for the Muncy and Cumberland events. Taking three hours to carefully load and unload all my stuff into the pickup is just too much of a pain. Of course, I had taken way too much stuff to begin with.

I have already made reservations for a primitive cabin at the B&B. The tent is just one less thing to contend with.

Lastly, mega thanks to Miroslaw for hosting a five-star event. The food and hospitality were first class! I eagerly look forward to next year's event.

Comment

Thanks for photos, Stephane. I'll add some in a few days, too.

'Lastly, mega thanks to Miroslaw for hosting a five-star event. The food and hospitality were first class! I eagerly look forward to next year's event.'

I'll quote Al and second that! Just like Pete said, the thermal activity and weather was awesome, the trophies beautiful and folks great! Len's trailer was very nice! It was fun to see 'my' ASW20 being flown by its happy new owner, DanR! Dan did very nice flying with it, too, I might add! Way to go, DanR! It was a very nice touch for Mirek to have a friend's beautiful daughter dressed very nicely to help with the trophy presentation. It was a very elegant touch! Thanks for everything, Mirek!!!

Comment

What a great event. As others have stated, perfect weather, great friends, great food and great airplanes. I'm in withdrawal today and already dreaming of the next adventure.

Tim

Comment

As we did last year, Len and I traveled to Winamac together and did a team driving effort. Len's Ford F-250 is an amazing tow vehicle and very comfortable to drive. As far as towing his new 7'x18' ATC aluminum trailer, it was only noticeable in that I could see it in the rear-view mirrors; otherwise, it was like it was not there!

Len got to my house on Tuesday and we packed my Bidule 170 and support equipment in his new trailer. We departed Cumberland on Wednesday morning around 8:30 and all went well until about one hour from Winamac. The truck gave a sudden low tire pressure warning and upon inspection, a nail was discovered in the right front tire. Luckily, the tire was not going flat at a rapid rate and we were able to drive to a tire shop just before they closed for the day. They had us back on the road quickly and we only lost about one hour from our ETA. The flight line was empty, so we parked the trailer in the same spot we used last year. Jeremy, Mike, PeteG, DanR, Tim and Kevin arrived around the same time and Miroslaw made us dinner at the field! Then it was on to the Tortuga Inn for a good night's rest.

Name:	Winamac 017.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	18987

The group met at Kosta's Restaurant the next morning for breakfast and then each morning after (great time reflecting on the previous day's flying and plans for the coming day).

Name:	Winamac 018.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	18988

It seems that the last few events have been so busy that I would forget to take pictures, so here are the few that i did get this time!

Name:	Winamac 001.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	18989

Name:	Winamac 002.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	18990

Name:	Winamac 003.JPG