X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50th Annual Cumberland, MD Fall Soar for Fun , November 5-6, 2016

***click here to register***

Date: Official AMA sanctioned event is Saturday-Sunday, November 5-6, 2016

***but the airfield will be open for flying Wednesday, November 2 - Monday, November 7, 2016***

Flying Style:

Winch and bungee launching were the normal when this event began, but, as radio control systems improved and aerotowing became reliable, aerotowing giant scale sailplanes become the new normal.. That said, all manner of sailplanes are welcome and weather conditions will dictate flying style. So bring everything...slopers to floaters, foamies to giant scale. Conditions can vary widely over the span of several days.

Landing fee:

$15.00/day or $45.00 max. (Why come for just 1-3 days when the best deal is four or more)

HighPoint Aviation Airfield atop Knobley Mountain three miles south of Cumberland, MD in West Virginia.

Directions to the HighPoint Aviation Airfield:

GPS data for airfield: Latitude: North 39° 34.872' Longitude: West 78° 48.230'

***Please note updated directions***
    • In Cumberland, Exit from I-68 onto Industrial Boulevard (eastbound)
    • From Industrial Boulevard, exit right onto Canal Parkway
    • Canal Parkway becomes West Virginia Route 28 after crossing the Potomac River Bridge.
    • Continue on WV Route 28 about 2.5 miles to Route 28 Auto Sales (on right).
    • Turn right onto Heavener Road at Route 28 Auto Sales.
    • From this point it is 1.8 miles to the airfield on top of Knobley Mountain.
    • Continue on this paved road 0.2 miles to the top of the hill.
    • Turn left onto the unpaved road (Street sign says Thicket, but wooden sign on tree says Ridge Road. Apple Maps identifies this road as Old Ridgeley Road and Google Maps identifies it as Ridge Road).
    • Continue 0.3 miles around the ridge until you cross under the power lines.
    • Turn left onto Sunny Side Drive.
    • Continue a short distance (0.1 miles) to the divide in this road.
    • Go to the right at the divide. Neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps show the road beyond this point, but it is visible on the satellite view. Continue on this gravel road for 1.2 miles to the airfield on top of Knobley Mountain.

• Hairpin turn has been widened.

Food & Facilities on the Field:

* A light lunch will be offered for purchase each day at about 1:00pm

* Bring what snacks and drinks you will consume the rest of the day and please take your empty wrappers and bottles with you because there is no trash removal service available for the airfield.

* There are port-a-pot facilities on site. Camping is allowed, but there is no 110AC or running water.

* Bring layers of clothing because the temperature can vary widely over the same day and don't forget sunblock and skin lotion because sun and wind burn are common otherwise.

Recommended places to stay:

Fairfield Inn & Suites in Cumberland, MD

This facility is closest to the field (about 5 miles away) and has the best quality rooms in the area, but their parking lot is tight. It is also in walking distance of many family oriented historic sites, shops, and restaurants.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...es-cumberland/

Comfort Inn & Suites in LaVale, MD:

This facility is about twelve miles from the field, has very nice rooms, and a large parking lot. It is in easy driving distance of many restaurants, large box stores like WalMart, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Martin's Market.

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-lavale-maryland-MD145

Holiday Inn Express in LaVale, MD:

This facility just opened in the late fall of 2015. It is just a short distance down the road from the Comfort Inn and is likewise about twelve miles from the field.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/e...&icdv=99504425

Days Inn & Suites in Frostburg, MD:

This facility is about seventeen miles from the field, has nice rooms, and more reasonable rates for the budget conscious.

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/maryla...hotel-overview

Evening Dining with Local Flavor:

While there are the typical chain restaurants in the LaVale area; Bob Evans (301-729-0160), Cracker Barrel (301-729-0649), Denny's (301-729-6600), Applebee's (301-729-4189), and Ruby Tuesday (301-729-8738). You may want to check out some of the local favorites:

Ristorante Ottaviani 25 N Centre Street, Cumberland, MD 301-722-0052 ~fine dining Italian cuisine (reservations recommended)

Geatz's Restaurant 202 Paca Street, Cumberland, MD 301-729-2223 ~same locations for 125+ years, steak & seafood(reservations recommended)

Puccini Restaurant 12901 Ali Ghan Road, (east of town off I-68) Cumberland, MD 301-777-7822 ~historic setting, wood fired pizza specialty plus steak & seafood (reservations recommended)

Fratelli Restaurant & Bar 359 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-1777 ~ Steak, seafood, and pasta specialties. Can accommodate larger groups with advanced notice. (reservations recommended)

D'Atri's Restaurant 18 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-722-0052 ~great breakfast, specialty is steak hoagie for lunch, and Italian dishes for dinner. Very reasonable prices, walk in dining, but can have long wait at peak times for lunch and dinner.

Grand China Buffet Next to Ruby Tuesday and McDonald's in LaVale. Large selection, reasonable prices, quick in & out service. Mix of Chinese and American items plus sushi bar.

Henny's Grill & Bar 1290 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-1746 ~ Steak, seafood, pasta. Have been able to accommodate larger groups on short notice (reservations recommended)

Asian Garden 1235 National Highway, LaVale, MD 301-729-8577 ~quality Chinese & Thai cuisine. walk in and carryout service.

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant & Bar 11 Bowery Street, Frostburg, MD 301-689-2220 ~ a favorite place of the University crowd (reservations recommended)

Linda's Old Furnace Restaurant Route 28 Furnace Acres, Ridgeley, WV 304-738-7000 ~ just south of the field along Route 28. We frequently call in lunch requests and they have it ready for carryout when we get there. Our favorite is their turkey club sandwich. Also a good breakfast spot on the way to the field. Very basic place, but reasonable prices and good food.

Hope this all helps, we look forward to seeing everyone again and some great flying!
    Last edited by JimD; 10-27-2016, 09:24 PM.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

I have never been this way to the top of the mountain.

Is the old enterence off of rt28 still useable or, do you want all traffic to enter at car dealership?

Comment

Thanks Jim, just registered...will be getting there earlier in the week...looking forward to it like usual!

Comment

Originally posted by Celuft View Post
        I have never been this way to the top of the mountain.

Is the old enterence off of rt28 still useable or, do you want all traffic to enter at car dealership?

Been using that approach up Heavener for several years. WAY WAY better and easier than the old crooked path, especially with a trailer.
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• Celuft
          Celuft commented
          Editing a comment
          I still have the image of Skip Schow's blue van, sitting in mud, up to its axial's stuck, just below the hairpin turn

Both ways are fine, but since the connection between Heavener Road and the High Point Subdivision (Sunny Side Drive) has been opened and the first house built, it is now a public road. Entering from Heavener Road is a much easier way especially with a trailer as Steve mentioned.

PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY ON THE UNPAVED SECTION THAT GOES BY THE HOMES THAT ARE CLOSE TO THE ROAD...MAKING CLOUDS OF DUST WILL NOT MAKE THEM HAPPY!!!!!!!!

We need to be good neighbors. 👍
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Arriving Wednesday and there thru Sunday, Monday if weather looks good

Comment

Just registered. Now I can't wait. I may start packing tonight. Wednesday thru Sunday, if the creek don't rise.

Comment

All signed up....
              Wed arrival, through Monday ( which always seems to be the best conditions )

Looking forward to slope combat!!
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Registered and looking forward to seeing everyone for the last event of the year. I will arrive on Wednesday and head back home on Monday, if anyone needs anything from the shop just let me know!

Jeremy and Ben
                SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I am in, bringing with me Vladimir

Stéphane
                  Stéphane
                  Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

OK Gentlemen, does anyone need anything bringing from the shop, if I can fit it in the Van I'll bring it along, as most of the space is taken by one Duo Discus! So please let me know if I can be of help.

Jeremy and Ben
                    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Weather is looking good so far But as we know it will change

Comment

On my last visit to the field, I made precise measurements for the turn by turn driving directions to the top of the mountain starting at Route 28 Auto Sales. Note the updated information in the initial post in this thread.
                        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Looking forward to being back on the mountain with everyone for the big 50th! I ordered two windy slope days and two calm thermal days. We shall see!

Last edited by Steve P; 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM. Reason: Deleted M60 information, Steve K grabbed it up.
                          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Ok, planes seem to be ready. Hotel is set. Need to break out the winter gear.

Attitude is right. Let's fly.

Arriving Thursday morning. Depart early Sunday morning.

Comment

Working...
                            X