Daytona Glider event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona Glider event

We are planning a glider event at the Daytona Beach RC field for Saturday, October 1st. This will be open to all gliders not just aerotowing. I suspect most of it will be towing.

It was discussed this morning at the monthly meeting. The paper work will be sent in to the AMA this week to get the sanction. I'll update this thread when we have the sanction confirmed but in the mean time pencil in October 1st!

Dan

Very cool!

Comment

See you all there.

Comment

Just a couple weeks now until the glider event at DBRCA. The paperwork has been processed and we are sanctioned. The landing fee will be a donation at registration which will include lunch. Lunch for non registered folks will be $5.

Hope to see all the Florida folks there and maybe some of you from North of the border?

Comment

We are looking good for Saturday. We mowed the field today and the county mowed the tall grass and they are grading the road today also!

Right now the field looks great.

A couple guys have volunteered to man the gate in the morning and let people in. So there should be no problems getting in.

Dan

Comment

We had a pretty good day yesterday. The usual Florida aerotow guys were there, Andy, Kris, Marc, Adam, Steve, a couple Bill's, Brent, etc. The Orlando Buzzards club who fly competition gliders were there with a winch and a bunch of hand launched DLG gliders.

The day started with fog as there was some rain Friday night but once it burned off it was blue sky for awhile. That blue sky actually made it difficult to see the planes well up high. A number of guys commented that once the plane got half way up on tow it was hard to keep orientation. Eventually the heat started producing clouds and visibility got better.

Thanks to the towing guys, Marc, Adam and Andy. And thanks to everyone who came. It was a fun day all around.

I don't have any photos but there were a few folks taking pictures so when some of those show up (possibly on RC Groups), I'll try and put a link here to them.

Dan

Comment

Thanks go out to Dan and Doug for hosting a very fun event. Plenty of sun and lift.

I did not get to tow much because of more nose gear issues on the Bidule 111. I repaired it again this morning so hopefully I have all the bugs worked out.

DBRC is a fun club to fly at and they are always very gracious and thats why I joined 2 years ago and plan on staying a member from now on. If you are not a member I strongly encourage you to join.

Comment

It was great to see so many friends and make new ones while out enjoying gliders. Thanks to Dan and Doug and the whole group at Daytona for the facility, food and hospitality.

Conditions were excellent and you could get as much towing as you wanted thanks to Marc, Kris, Adam and Andy. I'm still predicting that Kris's Bidule 111 will be a tail dragger by the first of the year. Marc has got his performing like the workhorse we know them to be. I was reminded again that there would be no aerotow without these guys putting in the time to make them reliable.

The Blanik did all things well as usual. I flew about 10 flights during the day, maybe 12 depending on how you count the landing with two touch and goes ;-). It was the kind of day you could loop, roll, fly inverted, wander around from cloud to cloud and still feel the need to put out some flap and point the nose down before you lost visibility.

Later in the day my wife and I were out for a walk in the neighborhood. We heard the whine and moan of propellers and came up on a group of about 6 guys who were FPV drone racing. They ranged in age from 20-50 and clearly knew each other well. Their enthusiasm for their hobby was palpable. As soon as we walked up one guy handed us his phone, donned his goggles and put on an impressive display of freestyle drone flying while we watched the drone and the view from the on board camera. All of them volunteered tons of information on their custom built racers and detailed what it took to get started.

I have no real urge to race drones but I definitely appreciated the lesson they taught in how to grow a hobby.

Comment

Did that wayward glider turn up?

Comment

Nice report on the event Blake, thanks for posting it.

How's the Blanik holding up?
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Andy,

The only result was a nice walk in the woods.

Len,

The Blanik is doing great. Flies better than me....

Comment

Working...
                      X