X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Agassiz BC Aerotow!

Agassiz Aerotow!

Gentlemen,

I'm extremely happy to confirm the dates for the First Annual Agassiz BC Aerotow on July 20-22!

As some of you may be aware, we lost the fabulous Anderson Turf Farm as our Mission aerotow site a couple of years ago and have been searching for a replacement. Believe me, we have found what could be the best field ever (OK, one of the best fields ever), in easy range for all of you that were Mission Aerotow enthusiasts

There is on-field camping available, a permanent porta-potti, a shed where the farm owner keeps his personal Cessna 172 that can be used for overnight sailplane storage, an 800' grass runway, and (see the pictures and Google maps or Google Earth), an amazing bowl to fly in with normally westerly winds aligned with the runway. From the end of the runway to the tree line is 1000', so LOTS of room for your approach! Coordinates for those who wish to take a peek are: 49°18'35.48"N 121°41'52.06"W. The white square at that location is the airplane shed where the Cessna resides.

There are a few accommodations in Agassiz, B.C., but as it is close to Harrison Hot Springs which is a vacation destination, they are a little overpriced. There are, however, motels in both Chilliwack and Hope. Chilliwack is less than 30 minutes away and Hope is just over 20 minutes. To put things in perspective, if you go to Gene Cope's Yakima Aerotow, it is about 25 minutes from Union Gap (the closest motel zone), to the airstrip.

I'm in the process of confirming whether RV's can be parked at the field. I'm optimistic and will update as soon as I have solid info.

The famous tug pilot extraordinaire, Ivan Somji has confirmed his attendance, and it is highly likely that we will have Nigel Tarvin's Pilfered Pegasus in service. Obviously, any other tug pilots would be welcomed with open arms!

We owe this opportunity to a small power club that flies there, the Agassiz Prop Busters, who have graciously allowed us sailplane perverts to mingle with them

Dave Smith

Click image for larger version  Name:	Agassiz Flight 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	181.9 KB ID:	24038
    My1/3 scale Cherokee on a test drive. Beautiful bowl to the East (left) and wind from the West. Mmmm, mmmm, good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Agassiz Field 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	231.3 KB ID:	24039
    Looking down the runway to the East.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Agassiz Field D7.JPG Views:	1 Size:	243.9 KB ID:	24040

I know, not a sailplane, but very pretty on that field.

Okay...I have your event listed on the website HOME page, the Events & Registration page, and on the Calendar for Western USA and Canada. If you want us to collect registration info and email it to you just click on the registration button and fill out the HOST Registration Form. We will create the Registration Form for attendees and link it under the registration button. As people register, you will receive and email with their information!
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Added this great picture to the website event post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	24048
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

As promised, here's the update from the club pres regarding camping and RV's at the Agassiz field:

Spoke with Henry this morning, you are good to go. Rack stack and pack em south of the hanger off the side of the road , try to drive on as little grass as possible, he is also looking forward to watching u guys do your thing. All there is to do now is pray u have the weather gods on your side! Took these pictures a few days ago , field has been rolled and cut several times its looking great , I have flown the new Tri-plane several times now, and again this morning , its fantastic , loving it ,, cheers

Agassiz is going to be a GREAT event. MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

(note the caps....learned that from Donald )

Dave Smith

Comment

Agassiz Fast Approaching!

Agassiz is on the horizon, just 11 days away. The field is in great shape and three hefty tugs confirmed, so finalize your plans, charge your batteries and visualize all the great flights you are going to have in that beautiful space.

I'll be around on Thursday evening to aid in setting up as this is a first time aerotow at this field.

Still working on BBQ lunch possibilities but not yet confirmed. I'll update pre-event.

See you all soon!

Dave Smith

Comment

Agassiz Directions

Just a heads up that there may not be any signage posted, but these are rock solid directions

From Sumas border crossing:

(Note if you are coming from Seattle area, Bellingham, Lynden, Whidbey Island, Tri-Cities, etc., Sumas is your best bet for minimal lines and most direct route)

North to Hwy 1, Eastbound
            Follow Hwy 1 East to exit 135 to BC Hwy 9 towards Agassiz/Harrison (approx 26.5 mi from joining Hwy 1)
            Continue on Agassiz-Rosedale Hwy/BC-9 N to BC-7 E. After a few miles you will pass the Seabird Island Gas Bar on your left. (it is the only gas station around)

1.7 miles after the gas station, turn left onto Wahleach Road.

Turn right onto Kamp Road (approx. .9 mi).

Follow Kamp Road for .7 miles, turn right and follow the dirt road to the shed near the end (approx 700 yds). Field is on your left, parking and camping is beyond the shed.

From Vancouver:

Follow Hwy 1 East to exit 135 to BC Hwy 9 towards Agassiz/Harrison (approx 23.4 km. from Vedder Road in Chilliwack))

Continue on Agassiz-Rosedale Hwy/BC-9 N to BC-7 E. After a few km you will pass the Seabird Island Gas Bar on your left. (it is the only gas station around)

2.7 km. after the gas station, turn left onto Wahleach Road.

Turn right onto Kamp Road (approx 1.6 km).

Follow Kamp Road for 1.1 km, then after the Bear Farm sign, turn right (just before farm house/ buildings with two large blue silos), and follow the dirt road to the shed near the end (approx 1 km). Field is on your left, parking and camping is beyond the shed.

From Hope and points further East:

Follow Hwy 1 E from Hope to intersection with Hwy 7
            Take Hwy 7W to Seabird Island Rd. (23.8 km., 14.8 mi.)
            Turn right on Wahleach Road and take second right onto Kamp Rd. (approx 1.5 km., .9 mi.)

Turn right onto Kamp Road (approx 1.6 km., .9 mi.).

Follow Kamp Road for 1.1 km., (.7 miles), then after the Bear Farm sign, turn right (just before farm house/ buildings with two large blue silos), and follow the dirt road to the shed near the end (approx 1 km, 700 yds). Field is on your left, parking and camping is beyond the shed.

Any questions, fire away!
            Last edited by Dave Smith; 07-25-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Some pix, video and comments from Agassiz starting at post #129 here:

Comment

Working...
              X