Small Trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Trailers

I've been debating on how to haul my airplanes without relying on my Dad's Suburban for a while now. I think I've settled on getting a trailer that I can haul behind my Chevy Cobalt. I hauled a 4x8 U-haul from Alaska so I know it's pretty capable.

I'm thinking of something 4 or 5 x 8 or 10. Needs to be relatively light, preferably under 1000 pounds. Any of the guys that have something that size want to chime in? Or have any suggestions on what/where I should be looking at?
    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

How about this one...

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

You could do this one, but you might need a bigger tow vehicle!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Steve, Scot and Bob all have small trailers, Steve's is 5h 10L 4W I believe, Scot's 4H 4W 10L The 5H is certainly the way to go if you plan on bringing a tug, which I know you are. Len
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Definitely 10 feet in length. 4x5 is much less painful than 4x4 in the head wacking department. Loading from the end door gets logistically challenging, but nothing a little brain power and crativity can't overcome. I have found that is not as much the weight of the trailer as it is the aerodynamic drag that taxes the car the most. I pull mine with a Honda Pilot and previously with a Nissan Murano. Both handle the trailer fine. Steve works the loading with two large boxes below a shelf and that is probably the most flexible for loading. I use cradle boards that have tabs slipping into slot on the forward end, hand screws on the aft end. Works well, but not sure how efficient it uses space. None the less, I think the "biggest" little trailer size is 4x5x10, after that you want to move up to the Len and Jim sized area.

Comment

Here is a nice CarMate 5x5x10 trailer with a rear ramp door and a side man door that weighs less than 1000lbs.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

The CarMate 4x10 Custom Cargo is probably the most suitable for your situation. It is a lighter frame and smaller wheels than the 5x10 and similar offerings. It has a 2000 lb rated axle. http://www.carmate-trailers.com/new_...2359&DispType=

Mine is a 4 wide x 10 long x 5 tall Heavy Duty Custom Cargo version. This has a heavier frame than the standard, larger wheels/tires and comes with a 3750 lb rated axle that sits 2 inches lower than the 4x10. It is a special order that essentially cost as much as a stock 5x5x10 in the end, but I wanted the size of the trailer kept within the width of my Ford Explorer XLT. Much like I never fly over 400 feet, I never tow this over 80 mph. ;-)

As Scot points out above, "Towed Frontal Area" is a key issue for your vehicle and drive train. Essentially how much trailer sticks out into the wind behind your car.
              Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

I sort of figured that the young man with the Cobalt will realize that he needs to upgrade to a Silverado...😉

Then he can transport a single tow plane to the field in the truck on a 1-day outing or pull a decent size trailer the other times. Dad can pull the camper and gear.
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for now. Hopefully will have one picked out by Cumberland in March.

As far as upgrading the Cobalt, that's also on the list, but a house and a place to store all these airplanes is higher on the list of upgrades at the moment!
                  Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Get a bigger trailer and your airplane storage problem is taken care of. 😉
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

And your trailer storage problem is just beginning.
                      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

If he gets the trailer I linked to in post #3 above, he can live in his trailer with his planes!

Hey Steve, if we join forces I think we can really get this poor guy confused. LOL 😄
                        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Steve P View Post
                          And your trailer storage problem is just beginning.

Nah, just get a bigger house with more property.....
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Seems like a Greyhound bus sized mobile home is the only answer

Comment

Nice size trailer with a good truck to tow it and sleeping facility.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X