A new trailer in my future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Al
    The panels I mounted on my new trailer are secured to an aluminum L channel which is riveted to the trailer roof supports. Doing this allowed me to use the stock location on the panels for mounting them.
    A few words of advice.
    The 100 Watt system is a good way to keep a battery topped off and charge some packs, however you will not be brewing coffee with them. I'm running a 200 watts and two 105Amp AGM batteries through a 3000 watt inverter and its not enough for the Kurig. Unless you can find a low draw coffee maker, its better to bring a generator or a cup with you.

Also, you'll want a distribution panel which will house your fuses. Even with the simplest setup, you'll want to have it fused. Jim can send you in the direction of a low cost panel.
    If you're looking for more power, I have a NIB panel system from Harbor Freight that I did not use.

Len
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

It has now been six weeks since I placed my order for the trailer. I hope to hear from the dealer soon so I can pick it up and start working on it.

Comment

Patience grasshopper
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post
          Patience grasshopper
          Uggghh!!!!!!

Comment

Just received word from the dealer that my trailer is in. Will pick it up on Saturday. 👍

Comment

• JimD
              JimD commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking forward to your build Al...always enjoy seeing the innovations that different modelers come up with.

ahhhhh
            Those with patience are rewarded with trailers.

Also looking forward to the build.
            I'll post some pictures in another thread of the build I did, perhaps something will help.

len
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Al_M
              Al_M commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, thanks, Len. It’s always good learning how others solve design ideas.

I picked up my new 6 x 12 ATC trailer on Saturday. It tows very nicely, but there is a measurable reduction in mpg. The weatherman has not been cooperative, but today broke sunny and cool, and provided a nice photo op. So here it is, with my antique 1966 Vespa and Jeep Wrangler in the background. As soon as my son completes the machining on a front hitch adaptor, I will move the trailer down to the storage unit to see how it fits. Then, I’ll start working on the interior as long as the weather holds.

Comment

Well, it took from November until April to get the parts machined by my son to install a front hitch receiver on my Jeep. Nothing took place all winter on the trailer as a result. Now I can finish the install on the Jeep and take the trailer down to the storage unit and see how it fits. Sorry this has taken so long. Stay tuned.

Comment

New tug for the new trailer...

The Ram 3.6 liter DOHC Pentastar V-6, although developing 305 HP, was lacking in the torque department, yielding 268 lb-ft of torque. Here, in Michigan, being pretty flat, my Ram 1500 was laboring to pull my 1200 lb. ATC trailer home from the dealer last fall, and was getting a paltry 10 mpg.

Today, all that has changed. I traded my 2016 Ram1500 for a 2018 Ram, powered by an EcoDiesel 3.0 liter turbo DOHC V-6 diesel making 240 HP, but producing a whopping 420 lb-ft of torque. This truck is a towing beast, towing capacty is 7,990 lbs, but still giving 27 mpg on the highway unladen. I’m not sure what the towing mileage will be with my 12-foot ATC trailer until the engine is broken in (500 miles.) Needless to say, I’m eager to get my trailer hooked up to this new tug and try putting some miles on it. Stephane’s Milan event appears to be the new rig’s debut. BTW, the sticker says the engine is made in Italy! Mama mia!! It’s gotta be good!

I apologize for the poor photo quality due to the low evening sun angle in the photo below, but it shows the metallic Granite paint job complimenting nicely the trailer’s Arctic Mist color in the background.

And best of all...it’s got that “new car smell” inside! 😃

Coming soon to an event near you.

Comment

Comment

Congratulations Al.
                    Bigger really is better. ( and more expensive)
                    Beautiful looking truck. I'm interested to hear what the MPG will be.
                    My 250 is an awesome vehicle, love it, but when the trailer is behind it it goes from 17 right down to 10-11 no matter what the weight.
                    I assume its 4wd ?

Looking forward to seeing the new rig!!

Len
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments, Len. Yep, it’s a 4x4. It doesn’t have the mud terrain tires like my 2016 had, but it does have 20” wheels; read: tires will be expensive!

I’ll post the mileage figures when I get the trailer hooked up after the breakin period.

Interesting thing about diesels: no gas cap, just a high density polyethylene plug. Kinda wierd.

Comment

One more thing: engine noise. In my former life as an automotive powertrain engineer, I have driven many, many miles with diesel engines under the hood. Ford, GM, Dodge - I’ve logged more hours than one can imagine driving these big 3/4 ton and one ton trucks. The one common denominator: all of them growled, and one became quite used to the sound.

Enter this new Italian diesel: Where’s the growl??? I was expecting the telltale diesel growl! It’s not there! Just a faint rumble that one has to strain to hear! Kudos to FCA for doing an amazing job of taming the diesel’s roar.

One final thing: Len says it’s a beautiful truck, and I must agree. With an Italian prime mover under the hood, the truck’s name, by default, has to be, Sophia Loren. 😃
                        Last edited by Al_M; 04-20-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Will be following both truck and trailer info with great interest...looking forward to your reports and progress Al.
                          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Al, ditto on the quiet diesel. Nice truck BTW. My German made Diesel engine in the Sprinter is super quiet! Cudos for the European Diesel engines.
                            Gunny
                            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Working...
                            X