Natural Solartex Wanted to Buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Solartex Wanted to Buy

I just learned that Solartex production ceased in February. I have searched online and can’t find it anywhere.

I need to make some Natural Solartex fabric covering repairs on my Minimoa and my Kranich. I dont need a large amount, maybe a piece off a roll, 1 foot long, but am willing to purchase an entire roll or a partial roll, whatever you may have.

As an alternative, I might have to visit a fabric shop and use the old silk and dope method.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Al,
    Send me your address,
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Hi Len,
      I’ll send you a PM.

Comment

BalsaUSA is out of stock?

Comment

Yes. I can’t find it anywhere on the planet.

Comment

With the demise of Solartex, I have been looking for an alternative solution for the repair of the Minimoa rudder covering. I think I might have found the answer. See the attached video.

The man is using silk in the video, but he says nylon can be used as well. I plan to use the dacron sheer material I bought at JoAnn Fabrics, because it is so close to the color of Solartex’s Natural color.

If I were to use silk, I would dye it first, using tea. That would be an experiment in itself, getting the concentration and immersion time dialed in to get the color to match.

I did a test panel on an old open structure I had laying around, using the JoAnn dacron fabric with nitrate dope. After adhering it to the structure’s perimeter, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get it to shrink with my covering iron.

So if you take the time to view the video(s), all 5 parts, you will see how the gentleman makes his own version of Solartex, using Varathane water-based varnish. The only limiting factor is the size of the pane of glass. I purchased a 16 x 20 inch pane of plain old window glass at Home Depot for less than 6 bucks, and a two-quart pack of Varathane outdoor water-based urethane varnish. Since the piece of covering I need is 14 inches square for the Minimoa rudder, this will be a good test of the process.

If the rudder repair goes well, I am thinking about obtaining a 36 x 80 inch patio door wall, so I can make larger panels of the material. My Kranich aileron repair will require a piece 6 x 48 inches.

Then there are the 1/4 scale 2-33 and 1/3 scale Grunau Baby and Kaiser Ka1 kits waiting....waiting...and let’s not forget the trailer... So many planes to build and so little time!

Stay tuned.

Comment

Solartex is now available thru the Solarfilm website: https://solarfilm.co.uk The natural color your looking for is in stock in 2M, 5M and 10M rolls

Steve

Comment

Thanks! That’s great news.

Comment

Working...
                X