Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Sale: SZD-55 1:5 scale fully equipped/customized/electric version

Hello,

This outstanding scale 3meter wingspan ship was first flown by my best buddy Babis who is the original owner, he had a short but highly successful aero tow session with it and then stored it as he got busy with other scale projects.

Time passed by and he eventually decided to remove his equipment and kindly present it to me as a gift as at that period had time available to utilize it…but my plans also changed and as my extensive workload leaves very limited flying time we recently got together and both made the decision it is now better to offer it for sale.

I have always admired the overall quality as this model features excellent molding/layup detail and is quite lightweight for its size...have meticulously installed my own equipment and made a lot of modifications to improve in certain areas especially the retract system…took approx. two months of work and it was well worth the effort.

Since my original thinking was not to depend on aero tows have chosen to self-launch conversion, model can easily be launched by one person and is very practical to transport and rig at the field, quality scale flying could never be easier!

The retract system provided was generally good but had enough slop and misalignment in mechanical system that servo strain was substantial and extension/retraction was sometimes chancy…gear door sequencing needed an upgrade also to close completely flush with fuse and stay there…also it was unnecessarily heavy.

A complete strip down and extensive rebuilt was in order, will chose to skip lengthy details and just report results…system now has zero slop and works flawlessly every time, servo just sings along during the whole cycle to the extent that only a quality mini size servo is needed (Robbe FS 550 B/B MG).

Having dispensed with the need for huge/heavy retract dedicated servo and effort to remove unnecessary weight of the system significant weight savings where achieved, door sequencing and positive lock is now achieved by utilizing custom springs tailored to do just the task required, whole system works very smoothly and dependably… it was a personal pleasure to rebuilt.

Some sequencing issues also existed for the spoiler system, it needed readjusting and mechanical slop zeroed so even the slightest servo movement was transferred to spoilers in real time with minimal servo load, this upgrade mode had of course to be done exactly the same in both spoilers…results are very satisfactory as minimum adjustment of individual servo throw curve on Tx was needed for almost mirror image extension/retraction of both spoilers.

Modifications to the airframe consisted of custom molded epoxy/glass wipers for ailerons and elevator as the stock version had just open cutouts, custom glass/balsa core anti-vortex wing tips and a complete rebuilt of the stock canopy/frame to ensure a perfectly flush mating with fuse flange etc…canopy inside surface airbrushed with two layers of special paint for a quality transparent tint.

The canopy/frame/fuse mating proved a difficult project because as with most molded scale ships this mating is not perfect by leaving gaps or canopy is slightly protruding in several areas, this is a major drag source that full scale pilots pay special attention to remedy as well as wing root/fuse and stab/fin junction…properly sealing these areas can and will improve performance dramatically…finally got lazy with rudder/fin sealing so just left it stock.

Overall this airframe is very clean and devoid of major defects, some very slight scratches exist and a few local reinforcements in critical areas where done to improve strength…and that’s all, I provide two joiner sets…stock steel units and carbon alternates for a significant weight reduction, however they are to be used only on light conditions and careful/smooth flying only.
    Prop is Aeronaut CAM carbon 14x6 acrylic painted and rebalanced, model is very clean and lightweight so does not need much pitch to get going but a 13x8 or 10 might provide more airspeed.

Equipment:
    - Motor: Top Model/X Power XC3522/5LS 1000KV
    - Esc: Turnigy 60Amp Bec/Brake
    - Rx: Futaba R6014HS
    - Servos: 7x Dymond/Futaba/Robbe assortment
    - Battery: 3S 2500 50C (not included)

Weight individual components:
    - Wings: 410gr left panel/411 right panel
    - Stab: 78gr
    - Fuse complete: 1310gr
    - Joiners 2xsteel: 224gr
    - Joiners 2xcarbon: 43gr

Total (excluding battery) with carbon joiners is very light 2250 grams!

Most of the equipment I installed was never been used and is as new/ excellent condition…including the Futaba Rx which was just removed from its box and installed in the model!
    Flight performance is exciting but also very predictable, due to anti-vortex wingtips, moderate wing loading and sealed airframe the ship handles smoothly in turns and will exhibit good climb performance in light lift…in strong lift conditions install the steel joiners and watch it go!

Landings are predictable and a joy to behold, a competed pilot can execute really smooth rollouts…however ship is very clean and speed does not bleed easily despite effectiveness of spoilers so a quite long runway is needed.

Will ship this splendid model in a strong wooden box custom made for the model… for details and shipping cost please send me a message at kazaklisglider@yahoo.gr

66 detailed photos are presented at my Dropbox link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b6kfp3q8k...v-xvkzs_a?dl=0

You can also view manufacturer’s stock version at: http://jispro.sweb.cz/products.htm

Price: 820$ USD

Regards and happy thermaling!
    Tasos.
    Last edited by kazaklisglider; 03-01-2019, 07:54 PM.
Working...
X