Slope Soaring at White Crest Beach, Cape Cod - UMX ASK-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slope Soaring at White Crest Beach, Cape Cod - UMX ASK-21

Waited all week until the winds were blowing from NE, perfect 8+ mph conditions for slope soaring at White Crest beach today with my UMX ASK-21.
    Cheers, Thompson

ps... Josh this is for you!

Some notes on soaring at White Crest Beach, Wellfleet, MA.

I had been watching the wind conditions all week and Friday was the day! Winds were forecast to change from blowing all week S-SW to N-NE 6-12mph on Friday. After a drive all the way up to PTown for lunch at the Lobster Roll with the family (simply delicious), I could hardly wait any longer, my patience was growing thin… So, on the drive back to Falmouth we dropped in for another beautiful afternoon at the beach, this time for Dad at White Crest Beach—oh yeah! We arrived at 3:40pm, sunny, 76 deg, winds were consistent 10-12mph, so basically absolutely totally PERFECT!

As far As I know, this is the closest in conditions to SoCal soaring at Torrey Pines (and other SoCal cliff locations) as you can get out here on Cape Cod. The above photo doesn't show it, but the cliff does drop off pretty close to straight down in spots.

First thing I did was stop and talk with local Wellfleet parking lot staff. They were counting up the days tally and getting ready to pack it up. Parking was free after 3:30pm on a Friday, so no $20 charge. I mentioned, "I was going to fly my very small foam, scale sailplane, reaching out my hands to illustrate how tiny the scale wing span was". They said, "Wait what?!" Are you going to fly a radio controlled sailplane?". "Yes, I said, It's really small and I will be up top nowhere near the beach or people." Hesitatingly, they said, "Oh, well ok... just wait until 4pm after we leave, then we don't care what you do"…

The latest article in August 2015 Model Aviation magazine notes Dave Garwood placing White Crest on the top of the list—this is totally for sure spot on review, my SoCal roots could feel the energy and soaring conditions here big time. There aren't any other notes in his article, so here was my take and experience with the locals.

My recommendation is to arrive after 4pm on a weekday so there aren't that many people and or Wellfleet parking staff. The people on the beach was a huge concern of mine for obvious safety reasons, so I kept to an area soaring over where no body was below, mostly over to the right side.

This was my maiden flight on the baby UMX ASK-21 and after a few minutes was hooked. I ventured out over the waters edge a few times and definitely lower than the top and lift wasn't a problem at all. It was glorious soaring! I brought six 1S batteries charged and really only needed three for 1 hour+ of soaring, this was enough. I was having so much fun with the ASK-21 I didn't even need to fly the UMX Radian. I had low rates set at 70% for ailerons, rudder and 88% for elevator with a mix of AIL > RUD 28%. The first few seconds, I swapped back to normal high rates right with the same 28% mix on AIL > RUD, this felt more controllable to me in these conditions.

I can't tell you how nice this little UMX ASK-21 is on the slope—simply wonderful. I was cracking such a BIG smile the whole time—in total scale sailplane soaring bliss—the ASK-21 looks so scale out there soaring. If I had the space in the S6 Avant, my 2,25m Parkzone Ka-8b would have been the cats meow here. I'm sure you could soar a larger 4m size sailplane here, but with a parking lot of cars, landings are best caught, dropped down or sketchy. The steep beach access (sand only, no steps) and long steep distance walk (my estimates are 75-100' drop) I'd stick with smaller lighter sailplanes in your hanger. If you had to retrieve from the beach here, lighter is better.

Stay tuned, video soon…

Comment

• terry
      terry commented
      Editing a comment
      White Crest Beach is a fantastic place to fly. When the wind picks up, there's serious horse power.

sweet thanks for the info!!! need to try this site out some afternoon sooner than later....do you know any slopes not so far down on the cape, closer to boston?

Is this article list link anywhere handy on web? "August 2015 Model Aviation magazine notes Dave Garwood placing White Crest on the top of the list"

Comment

great, found it, thanks much. I will try to visit all the Mass Area ones within the year and see how they feel on my birds.

Comment

You're welcome !

Here's the video.

Comment

Nice video Thompson, did you add ballast?

Jeremy and Ben
          SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Swiss1 I didn't add any ballast, but guess I should have. I had it balanced right at 31mm from LE. As you can see, needed down elevator right after launching… Just kept my nose attitude down and cranked out figure eights. I did have a little rudder mixed in with ailerons ~ 28%. I can't get over how well this ASK-21 slope soars.

Comment

Nice video, Thompson. Dune surfin' at the beach.

Comment

I maidened a small Easy Glider off a small hill at Cutler Reservation (big dig landfill I heard) in West Roxbury Boston today. Wind was 9 mph SW....just not enough to keep her up on this tiny shallow slope though...might be better at 12-15 mph. Has a nice land zone of low grass in behind and lots of high grass on the slope itself for cushioning when needed.

I will aim for White Crest dune sufin in a few weeks!

Comment

I'm sure if the winds were a little stronger, the small hill would be great for sloping. Looks good!

Comment

Here's a panoramic photo my daughter shot with her iPhone 6 at White Crest Beach. She's also the genius on my iPhone 5 filming...

Comment

cool panorama....so just to be clear from first post ...you need a N-NE wind to fly there? Will have to keep an eye out on the the wind directions and there soon

Comment

Correct, NE, ENE and E winds should do the trick. Fri, Sept 4 is forecast ENE, E winds 10-12mph!

Comment

thanks! Can't do that date, but will keep eye out on it

Comment

Working...
                          X