Let Models DG 800s Maiden (sorta')

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let Models DG 800s Maiden (sorta')

Not truly the ship's maiden as Stephane owned and flew this ship for many seasons. However, this is the ship's first take off and landing under it's own power. I installed a removable 2,000 Watt motor pod (esprit models) with a 3,000 mah 8s pack. I did three flights, the last flight was with the 18 meter tips. I noticed a difference in performance over the 15 meter configuration.

My brother filmed the landing. She is quite heavy with the SLS. I'm so glad I didn't install a retractable setup. At 32 lbs it needs to fly fast and is certainly not a floater. However, I couldn't get a feel for it's climbing ability at this weight. I've had other heavy ships that climbed quite well. It may have just been that the thermals were weak that day. The battery gives about 1500 ft of climb per charge. Take off is a hand full until you get elevator control to correct the nose over. Nonetheless, she flies!!

Video:

​

good Job Pete,

Weight shouldn't be an issue for her, don't forget that without flaps she fly quite fast.

A bit of flap help tempering her character.

Just in case you flew her with flap in neutral. Otherwise conditions of the day were not there as it has been one of my best ship for thermaling. I have done many 90min flight with her.

Best luck for next flight

Stéphane
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Pretty cool! Have fun learning the sailplane.

Comment

Congtats Pete.
        Glad to hear you got here into the air.
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks all! Stephane, thanks for the tips. You did a beautiful job with this glider! I think you're right, I just need stick time to learn how she flies. Incredible scale look and feel in the air compared to my 1:4 scale ships. I'm flying with the carbon wing joiner at the moment. I love the flexy wings

Comment

Working...
          X