• Show
Clear All

• Hey Kevin,

Looking good brother!!

Congrats
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• I agree Kevin, Looks great!! Cool scheme and red always looks sharp. Keep the nose down in the pattern.... Cumby in March? Hope the weather cooperates. The Blanik is probably thankful that there is another glider in the stable to lessen the spar bending passes! Fly safe.

Comment

• Question for those still flying their H9 ASW20's, are you still using rubber bands for the gear doors or switching to springs?

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          I use two DuBro hinges for each door. Remove the hinge pins then fashion a segment of music wire to span both and then some. Bend a 'leg' on each end so that you can epoxy one end of the wire to the door and the other inside the fuselage. If you bend the legs 'properly' relative to each other the new hinge pin becomes a torsion spring. It works great!

• Yep, I'm still a rubber band man although I did notice recently that over time things have worn or distorted enough to allow the wheel to rub against the rubber band on one door when the doors are open. I fixed that by bonding a semicircular piece of 1 mm thick Celastic on the inside of the door right where the large outer flange of the retract wheel carrier could contact it as the wheel dropped out of the fuselage. The extra thickness there allows the door to open a bit wider, clearing the rubber band.

Comment

• I found the springs as my preference. A nice sized spring can be ordered through McMaster-Car: Part number is 9664K41.

Catalog page link is below:
          I used the wood pieces that the rubber bands would attach to on the doors, but moved them to the aft end of the door and then brought the springs straight up and attached them to the horizontal bulkhead/plate that is in the fuse.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for everything in your plant. 98% of the products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

• I know I'm late to the party with this model but wanted to show the wheel "fender" I vac formed. It's usually pretty wet down here in Houston most of the time so I thought it'd be prudent to minimized wheel trash in the fuselage when operating off grass runways. I wanted to make something that would actually fit through the limited spaces in the bulkheads.

The first one I pulled was almost perfect but in my excitement I broke it pulling it off the mold. I didn't want to waste anymore time with this modification so I settled for the second one since it'll still do the job and won't be seen. Only had clear PETG for canopies on hand but wanted to get'er done.

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 with Len on the fender wheel well. If you 'pull' one of those for me I'll make a polyester fiberglass seat pan for you! I still have to make a seat pan for DanR and another for myself because I gave my last one to John and Dave of Clover Creek for their ASW20.

• Thats awesome!!! I could have used that in Cumberland this spring. ( I say spring, really was winter)
            Great job
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Originally posted by [URL="http://forum.scalesoaring.com/member/71-arup"
              ARUP[/URL]
              +1 with Len on the fender wheel well. If you 'pull' one of those for me I'll make a polyester fiberglass seat pan for you! I still have to make a seat pan for DanR and another for myself because I gave my last one to John and Dave of Clover Creek for their ASW20.
              You got a deal. I could use one of your fiberglass cockpit tubs. I'm going to order some large sheets of ABS and Hi-Impact Styrene so I don't have to use up my canopy PETG unless you just really want a clear one. When it's made I'll give you a shout.

If you want I can also send you a mold cppy if you want to refine it and make one more extra custom fiberglass part for the ASW20 along with your cockpit tubs? I Although I would guess this part vac formed is probably cheaper.

BB
              Last edited by BryanB; 04-29-2018, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Pull one from styrene and leave the flashing on it. I'll use that to make fiberglass wheel wells! If you still have an uncut cockpit tub from your ASW20 I could sure use it. Mine is getting 'frazzled' from the multiple fiberglass 'pulls' it has had.

• If a few wouldn't mind for pure sailplane is the preferred CG near the front or back of the published range for best handling?

Thanks,
              Bryan

Comment

• Craig just let us know on rcgroups that the canopy for the 20 is in stock! If you need a replacement or a spare better grab one!

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Just ordered one! Been kicking myself for not getting a spare when the model was in production and they were available.

Which reminds me, the list of replacement parts in the manual for the new ASH-31 doesn't list the canopy as a a separate item. Sure would be nice if Horizon could add canopies to that list.

Comment

• Hey
                  Just got a secondhand Asw20 FES
                  Maiden went well, but it highspeed stalled on me. No danger, but just a bit scarry...
                  How much elevator movement do you use? I think that should be why it stalled...

Best Regards
                  Lars Samuelsen
                  Denmark

Comment

• Hi Lars,
                    IF you set the plane up to the throws listed in the manual will have the correct setup.

ELEVATOR IS 13MM LOW RATE, 15MM HIGH RATE.

CG is 96-106

Be shure both are in that range and you should have no issues.
                    Downwind turns can be exciting due to the airspeed being slower with the wind.,

Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Mofaknud
                      Mofaknud commented
                      Editing a comment
                      thx..
                      I turned down the elevator movement, and now all is good

• Hoping for some help...just picked up a 5M ASW-20 built on the old (early 90's?) Mark Smith/Dreamcatcher fuse that needs a cockpit and was thinking of adapting the HH ASW-20 seat pan kit to fit. Can someone measure the size (length/width) of the one included in the 4.7m HH kit for me? Am hoping it will not be too small to use with some tweaking.

Also looking for a nose mounted releasable towhook, can anyone recommend one that is readily available? I've been eyeing the ones on the Icare website (see at http://www.icare-icarus.com/Remote-n...ge_p_1226.html), are there other recommended sources?

Thanks,

Barry
                    Attached Files

Comment

• It is 100mm deep 90mm from rear edge. 140mm wide at front edge. About 65mm deep at front. 180mm wide at the rear about 70mm from the end which is the widest part of tub.

Comment

Working...
                      X