No announcement yet.

1/3 Delro Super Dimona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt I can make the Horizon tow this year, since I have my dog Racer now, he has become a constant companion wherever I go which complicates travel, plus my wife will be out of town that same weekend and I refuse to board him, so unless something changes....

Here are some photos from Visalia, it was a clear day so the snow capped Sierras were very visible to the east. My lucky Axel test pilot was strapped in for the maiden, I had to make new black seat belts since the fullsize has black, not gray as Axel came with. Soory, no in flight shots yet.

Comment

15 years... you sound like me! I still have to build the 'ultimate' GeeBee R-1 as piloted by Doolittle! My Franklin Eaglet here has ~9 years from a dream to reality!
      'Shore' is a 'purdy' bird! (KY accent )

Comment

An update on the Dimona, the original Hacker A60 in the model had heating problems, so a NeuMotor 1530 was installed requiring some minor rework of the motor mount. I finally flew the model yesterday at Visalia and all is good, power is where it's suoppsed to be, run time was as advertised, and no overheating. If I have used ECalc I would have found the Hacker was in the danger territory as far as heat, turns out all outrunners tend to run hot, the Neu inrunners with gearbox don't create near as much heat.. I'll post some pictures of the install of the Neu soon.

Comment

Beautiful Dennis!

Comment

Amazing work Dennis but we've all come to expect that of you. 😎

Is this what you used to ready the obechi for primer and paint:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...rolight+Filler

Mike

Comment

Yes, 410 mixed to sort of a peanut butter thickness, I spread it on about 6 inch x 18 inch sections and blocked sanded it out. I'm happy with the results, the unsuspecting think it's a glass wing, when I tell them it's obeechi they don't believe it.

Comment

Here are some photos of the new NeuMotor install, I had to remove everything forward of the firewall but fortunately was able to remove the battery cages undamaged and reinstall them. I also finally painted the prop per fullsize and Callie Graphics did the little green MT propeller logo for SIX DOLLARS! Callie is great.

Comment

Gorgeous! As always, your attention to detail is off the charts!
                  Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Maybe some of you can help me with a small issue on the Dimona. The ailerons are removable by pulling a carbon hinge rod out of the wingtips, its about 1/16 diameter or so. My issue is I want to keep the ailerons removable for servicing but if I shove the carbon rod in I can't pull it out, I have thought about a steel wire with a right angle bend at the end. Right now I have a 1/4 nub of the carbon rod extending out at the wingtip, be nice to remedy that slightly unsightly little bugger. My idea was seeing if I can find carbon tube of the same thickness and glue some Kevlar thread into it, let the thread extend out a bit, and cover it with some white tape. Any other ideas?

Some times typing something out gives me the idea. I just finished using a razor saw to slice about an inch into the carbon rod, ca'd some Spectra Kevlar woven thread in, sanded a bit and I can shove the rod in now with just the thread extending. A small piece of tape covers the thread! Done!
                    Last edited by DennisB; 08-07-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

There ya go!!!
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Same issue on my old Musger, my solution was to layer thin CA in the tube and tap it, to remove, thread in appropriate screw and pull. Et Voila

Jeremy and Ben
                        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I am thinking about ordering another Dimona kit as l really like mine and like the idea of a backup that I could build in my leasure time, but was wondering if anyone in the USA would also want to order a Dimona kit, shipping two or three can save some money. It's a GREAT airplane, and since I figured out the build another one would go together a bit quicker. Happy 2017 and big blue and white skies to all my friends. Dennis

Comment

Congrats Dennis. You have done a great job with the details!

Comment

Working...
                            X