1/3 Delro Super Dimona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/3 Delro Super Dimona

After 21 months of work it is finally ready to fly this Saturday at Visalia. This is the most time consuming model I have ever built. Used MKS HV servos throughout, Hacker A60L motor, Castle HV85 ESC, two Dinogy 6s 6600 Lipos in series for a 12s system, and two Hyperion 3800 Life packs for flight controls. The wings are foam Obeechi with D-tube carbon sandwich, with a thin coat of West epoxy mixed with their lightweight filler block sanded, multiple layers of white PolyPrimer were sprayed and sanded on the stab and rudder as well, painted with PPG Concept base white and then block sanded with 1000, and then machine sanded with 1500, 3000 then 5000 grit pads, then of course polished with Mequiars automotive finishing products. Just about everything in the cockpit is handmade except the instrument cowl, instrument panels came from Mr Noll in Germany, I made a mold for a much more scale seat pan as the piece that came with the kit wasn't anything near the right shape, this allows the pilot to sit at a more scale location, also made a mold for the rear package tray area as that is a huge hole that needed to be filled, I shaped the two center console pieces from balsa and made all the levers, knobs etc. the throttle. choke and other levers are movable, I made the spoiler sticks and the control sticks. Now to the canopy- I estimate between 200 to 300 hours on the canopy frame and its operating struts, rear outer hinge/strut, and the real bugger was the red levers that have operating internal locking pins that secure the rear of the canopy assembly, the front locking pin is hiding under a oil level inspection hatch in the front cowl. Most of these items I made at least twice since I first did not intend to have them functional, but of course I found that I could indeed make them an operating piece like the fullsize. Under the engine cowl I was determined to have the Lipos as far forward in the nose as possible with access through the cockpit, the instrument panel simply slides out allowing full access to the rear firewall. I made a plug/mold to create a battery cage which is glued into the firewall, pictures give a good idea. I'm sure I left out some of what I did, so ask any questions you all may have. I really had to use all my 40 years of building knowledge on this Dimona, it really threw some curves at me. Oh and props to Dan Fitzgerald who made the blue seat cushions. More to come as I think of it.
    Last edited by DennisB; 04-13-2016, 05:04 AM.

Amazing work Dennis...beautifully made !

Comment

Some more info, early on I spent some time on the internet to find an attractive color scheme, I came across my chosen scheme and attempted to contact the flying club in Austria where it was based, to my delight a club member (who is also a modeler) responded to my request for help and sent me 50 to 60 photos! WOW! A few things about the power system, I wanted an external kill switch of some sort to kill the power to the motor but couldn't bare to have an ugly non scale switch on the model. A brainstorm came to me and I decided to use the black exhaust pipe as an arming and mostly dis-arming plug, I used a Schumacher products Deans type arming plug glued into the pipe. I am also using a Non-spark arming plug from Esprit Models next to the Lipos. I also spent some time making the detachable winglets which have the proper airfoil, they DID NOT come with the kit. 60 or 70 hours later I had them. And the chrome gas cap? I found from the scale car modeler forums there is a stuff called AllClad, a base of gloss black followed up with a light spray of chrome paint.
      Last edited by DennisB; 04-13-2016, 04:05 AM.

Comment

You are a master craftsmen Dennis! I love the dummy exhaust/kill switch idea...hidden in plain site

What prop are you using with that power set up?

Good luck with the test flight!!
        Pete

Comment

Stunning!!!
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

VERY NICE as usual, Dennis. Your typical good ideas and execution. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden.

Comment

Pete, the prop is a 21x13E Mejliick Carbon. The Zenoah G-45 gas engine normally used sports a 21/10 or so, I got the prop and carbon spinner from DA Aircraft at the AMA show over a year ago. I still need to paint the front of the prop white with red tips. I also need to add a pitot tube to the upper rear fin and a radio antenna and some other little bits to the underside of the model. Gotta strap in an Axel pilot in a day or two ( already verified the CG with him in it ) and do a range check and she is ready to go. The spoilers were giving me some grief, I found that of the four black plastic arms on the left spoiler, the outer arm wasn't coordinated with the other three and was causing some balkiness, the piano wire drive pin length to that arm had to be shortened slightly to cure the issue. There was some foul language while the diagnosis was going on! This was only in the last day, just when I think I have everything operating smoothly I get this! Arghh!

Comment

And more- I am using my trusty JR 12x and decided that the throttle HAD to be on the throttle stick, I did some taxi tests with it on a slider so I could have the spoilers in their traditional spot which is the throttle stick but it is was VERY weird, I have gotten used to flying tail dragging warbirds so knew I had to relocate the spoiler control, so far I have the spoilers on the tall left 3 position switch called Flap/Mix, seems ok, a slider switch would be nicer though, but I haven't figured out how to set that up yet. Maybe one of you have a recommendation? i fly fingers so the side slider is a bit awkward for me.

By the way, props to Callie Graphics, don't tell her but her prices are too low for the great work she does. As I remember it was less than $40 shipped!
                Last edited by DennisB; 04-13-2016, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I can't add anything other than what a nice model! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Nice work Dennis.
                    Did you run over the dog with the plane

Jeremy and Ben
                    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Jeremy, no he's just my lazy A&P inspector, he gets a doggie treat and it passes.

Comment

Just a quick note to say the maiden flight went great, wonderful sporty feeling aircraft, great response on all axis without anything unusual, even got a very good feel how it responds to a thermal which was very nice, ground handling is superb (who can say that about a glider?) Forgive me if I brag about being able to taxi back to the pits! My chosen CG and control throws seemed to be spot on. A very happy day for me since I have lusted after this model for 15 years and it has rewarded all my expectations. Pictures to come.

Comment

Congrats on the maiden. Now you can settle down and really start enjoying your efforts.

Comment

FANTASTIC Dennis,
                            After all the time and effort you put it to that plane you deserve a flawless maiden.
                            Bravo to you.

Len Buffinton
                            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Congrats Dennis, so is it and you going to make it to the Horizon Aerotow this year?

Jeremy and Ben
                              SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Working...
                              X