No announcement yet.

1923 B3 'Charlotte II' in 1:3 Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop time... four aerotows later! I ain't complainin', though. The Charlotte fuselage is being built inverted.The center pylon/ headrest will get added later. Side views were used to get the forward curved top decking packing supports fabricated. Forward longeron bows are laminates of 1/16" balsa cut in the proper radius and laminated with CF and epoxy. They were built up to a 3/8" square cross section. This needs to be strong because the tow release will anchor at this area. The fuselage formers are simple rectangles. They are getting 3/8' balsa added to their perimeter edges. The lower longerons (upper in picture) will get laminated in place this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1325.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	12124 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1327.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	12125

Comment

Michael, I might have to go the Horizon Aerotow to see the Charlotte, this build is amazing. And I don't know how it got by me but I just ordered this book from Cumulus Soaring, I thought I had them all but I missed this latest from Vincenzo Pedrielli.

Comment

• Mosquito
        Mosquito commented
        Editing a comment
        I dare you......

Yes, simply amazing. Everything about this build is a masters class. Truly inspirational!

Thanks Michael

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the comments and interest! DennisB, the Asiago book is pretty neat! You won't regret getting it. I hope you bring your Super Dimona to the next Horizon aerotow. I'd like to see it up close and personal! Mike, I just like to build and do whatever it takes to get the job done. I really appreciate your compliment!

I finished the main body of the fuselage frame and now have to add the upper center section pylon. It fairs into the fuselage rearward and becomes a knife edge. I may make the fin removable to try flight without it as was done with this bird 'back in the day'!

Name:	IMG_1329.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	12170 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	12171

I have the door opening framed in place. There are gentle curves everywhere on this fuselage so it is a little trickier to build than it appears. Great care used to keep the tailpost slots accurate. The perimeter of the frame will get a good truing with the 'T' bar sander. More to come. Good night!

Comment

I think Michael may have some sort of family connection with Fred China, what else would explain the sort of subjects and engineering genius behind builds such as this one. I'm going to have to travel east to absorb some of the "zen" happening on these models.

Comment

Super Michael.

See you in a few weeks in Indiana...
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Michael....beautiful work as always !

Looking forward to the next time we get to fly together and seeing it in person.

Bob

Comment

DennisB, Fred China's models are pretty awesome. Mine don't quite compare but thank you for the very kind words. I really appreciate them! Len, I'm ready for Indiana. It's wide open there, just like Clover Creek. Bob, thanks! I can't wait to fly with y'all again. It's always so much fun and so cool watching your glass birds soar!

More work done. It doesn't look like much but getting the six vertical pylons in place is huge! The vertical pylons struts are 1/2" spruce. More structure will tie them to the fuselage bones later. They set the fore and aft, width, height and inclination for the wing roots. They also have to be 'square and fair' for they set the fuselage alignment to the wings. It's kind of like when I had to set a newel post after the wood flooring had been put down. I spent two hours measuring and two minutes drilling. The pic just shows some 3/8" balsa sticks lying across their top surfaces. I had another pic but my crummy computer corrupted it. I'll try to get a better one later.

Name:	IMG_1332.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	12205

Comment

I can't wait to fly it................................

Tim

Comment

Very nice build. Love the wings!

Comment

Mosquito, you wouldn't like flying these clunkers. You like those slippery birds! Slappy, I'm glad you like the wings 'cause that's about all there is! Here is a pic of the six upright pylon members. The wing root portion of the pylons are laminated from two outer 1/16" marine ply pieces and one lite ply center part. Some CF was put in for good measure! Straight pins surround the parts to guide sequential pieces in place. The slots for the uprights cut into pylon wing root ends. Shown test fitted. Bell cranks were built. I test fitted the bell cranks so holes could be drilled for pushrod egress. The same holes on wing root ends were used to drill same in the pylon sides. All these parts were stacked and then put on drill press so wing rods holes could be drilled. The wing rods will fit between the spars fore and aft. Next, the pylon sides were epoxied to the six uprights and the bell cranks were epoxied on the inside end of the wing roots. More later!

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	12273 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1333.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	12274

Name:	IMG_1335.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	12275 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	12276

Name:	IMG_1340.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	12277 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	12278

Name:	IMG_1341.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	12279 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1342.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	12280

Comment

Mike,

great job again, like your style !

So it will be ready for maiden in a week and a half for winamac, right? ;-)

Stéphane
                        Stéphane
                        Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Originally posted by French1 View Post
                          Mike,

great job again, like your style !

So it will be ready for maiden in a week and a half for winamac, right? ;-)

Stéphane
                          No excuses Jelly, I will have plenty of room when I pick you up next week, otherwise you can finish it on the ride up

Jeremy and Ben
                          SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Your building thread is very inspiring. I spend some time every week reading your building thread. Great job Mike
                            Some news about my Charlotte : http://www.retroplane.net/forum/view...r=asc&start=45
                            The way I choose for building the fuselage is a bit different from yours.
                            Still a lot of work to do before she flies.

Eric - Britanny - France

Comment

Stephane, thanks for checking in! I wish Charlotte was going to be ready for Winamac but I just can't get those model airplane building elves to get to work!
                              Jeremy, that's a thought. If we kick all of the stuff out of your trailer I could build back there!
                              Eric, your Charlotte is coming along wonderfully! Yes, our fuselage constructions deviate from each other a little. I am going to glue a block of balsa on the nose so it can get sanded to a curved form to accept the 1/64" ply. I'll use contact cement to stick the ply onto the frame work except near the nose. That will get carbon fiber tow underneath the ply so epoxy will have to be used. I see you have a pointed nose(?) on yours. Are you going to fill it in and sand to shape? I sure would like to get to the Retroplane Event some day. I am very smitten with vintage airplanes of all types. Anything from the 1930s or older is what I really admire.

Comment

Working...
                              X