No announcement yet.

1923 B3 'Charlotte II' in 1:3 Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't quit. Just catching up on some other stuff. Did find time to make a small chuck glider to investigate C.G. It looks to be at about 20-25% MAC. Will build a bigger one with foam to double check things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1719.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	14371

Comment

That's a cool idea

Comment

I completed my Charlotte II B3 (1/3,5) few weeks ago and maiden her successfully, even if controlling her was not as easy as expected (yaw control)
        See this short video
        Maquette au 1/3,3 (4,2m - 5kg) d'un planeur conçu et réalisé par l'Akaflieg de Berlin (association universitaire de vol à…

Comment

Congrats Eric.

And before anyone asks, yes, you'll see me at the 7-second mark. I went over to Europe to maiden the plane, as I do with Michaels.

Just kidding, but it really does look like me, same coat, hat, and glasses. What a good looking guy!!!

Cheers,

Len
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• eric spore
            eric spore commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry guys, it's me at the 7-second mark. len is my secret twin.

Eric, Congratulations! Your Charlotte is lovely! Yaw control was a problem with the full scale version and, as I'm sure you know, flights without the fin/rudder were successful. I was sure on the edge of my seat when your Charlotte rolled over and went in! Damage appears to have been minimal as evidenced by the tape 'patch' on the wing underside.

Len... there is your double! Hope he isn't wanted by the long arm of the law! They might grab you by mistake!

Comment

• eric spore
            eric spore commented
            Editing a comment
            In order to fix this yaw problem, i decided to add a servo and i built a new steerable rudder. Not very scale, but i expect better control.
            In fact no damage at all during the first uncontrolled landing. I was really lucky.
            the patch under the wing is not a damage. One of the aileron's cable jumped from the pulley when assembling the wing to the fuselage. I was then obliged to cut the covering to fix this on spot.

Eric, glad there was no damage! I look forward to more flight vids! I have calculated c.g. to be ~20-25%, the control throws will be minimal (around 20 degrees) and 'exponential' via the transmitter. What are your settings if I might ask?

After a marathon painting session this weekend with two languishing projects I have put the Charlotte back on the board! Whoopee! Here is a short checklist to finish wing construction.

1) install LE.
          2) add 4 marine ply gussets at root ends so the last four drag and anti-drag cables can be installed.
          3) finish fairleads for pull-pull cables. Then route cables.
          4) finish 'hoop' skid attach points and fabricate the skids.
          5) fabricate balsa surrounds at the strut attachment points so the covering has a place to seat.
          6) fabricate hatches on lower surface at root ends so as to access bell cranks and cables.
          7) re-do the hinge anchor points using carbon fiber tubing. They may be a little weak in their current form.
          8) install cable TE.
          9) cover. with fabric

When the SD card I loaned out for my camera is returned I'll be able to take some pictures.

Comment

I bought another SD card for my camera and got some more construction pics. I made a hatch on the underside of each wing near the root end so the pull-pull cables and servo links can be adjusted. A magnet keeps it secure. A small handle will be added to help get the hatches open... those magnets are stout!

Name:	IMG_1740.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	15910Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1741.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	15911

Balsa cladding surrounds for strut attach points so that fabric can be attached. Pull-pull cable fairleads finished.

Name:	IMG_1742.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	15912Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1743.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	15913

Name:	IMG_1744.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	15914Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	15915

The trailing edge is going to be music wire. First, the ends will get anchored then the two 36" long wires needed will get joined mid span. Hard maple will be let into the TE near the control surface. The hard wood is drilled and grooved to receive the TE wire bent to shape.

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	15916Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	15917

Once this is completed on the ends then the wires will be 'massaged' fair then soldered mid span. More pics to come.
            Attached Files

Comment

The TE wire is installed! Once everything was secure I 'set' the little aluminum wire guides at the ends of the ribs against the TE wire using a little hammer. It really worked a treat and it's rewarding when a design plays out as intended! Lord knows, I've had my share of work shop re-dos! Instead of soldering the wires mid span they just got 90 degree bends strategically placed. The two 'L' bends pull against each other with the end of a rib as their packing.

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	15946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752.JPG
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	15942

Here are the two wires 'loose' then 'tight' and in place.

Name:	IMG_1749.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	15943Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750.JPG
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	15944

TE wire passes through root end and has another 90 degree bend to anchor it forward.

Name:	IMG_1751.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	15945

On to the hinge reinforcements, running cables, drilling for wing rods, hoop skid and mountsand... lastly... the LE! Good night!

Comment

Oh my....

You're ridiculous, really cool stuff Michael.

I was thinking about the hatch covers you're making. What if you glued a "stout-er" magnet to the underside near one corner, then when you wanted to open the hatch you could use another magnet from the outside to lift the edge enough to break the other magnets hold... Just as thought.

Len
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Nice work Michael!!! Sorry, I didn't realize I had your only SD card. I'll get it back to you asap. I have bunches of them and it just didn't occur to me.

Comment

Len, that's a great idea! I can leave the 'opener' magnet in the cockpit.
                    Art, thanks! And...no hurry since I have a spare SD card, now, lol. Hope the pics download okay. It is Cannon EOS software driven if that helps.
                    I got one set of control surfaces' hinges installed. I'll fabricate the skid and attachments then finish the other wings' accrutiments! After this then rig pull-pull cables, drill wing rods holes, install LE then cover.

Comment

Some spacers were made in order to set the distance of the hinge rods. These same spacers (to be modified somewhat) will serve duty for installing the control surfaces at the field, too! The control surfaces have a long removable hinge pin. Wing rods were fabricated. Brass tubes were let into the spars to receive them. This was fussy business for the wing rods have to be pretty much parallel to each other. The brass tubes were installed on one wing and only one tube was installed on the other. Then the wings were 'joined' and the remaining tube was secured. I used a bubble level to make sure they had the same incidence and a spacer was used to make sure the rods didn't angle in or out from each other. The LE are getting installed. Items are getting crossed off the list!

Name:	IMG_1756.JPG
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	16064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1767.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	16065

Name:	IMG_1771.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	16066Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1772.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	16067

Name:	IMG_1775.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	16068Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1777.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	16070

Name:	IMG_1776.JPG
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	16069

Comment

The LE can get scratched off the list! Most of the day was used sanding these to shape. After getting the hoop skid mount plates fabricated a pair of struts will get built. These are needed so that after rigging wings to fuselage the height of the hoop skids can be determined. They seem a little short in the drawing. Plus, the control surfaces have to clear the ground if a wing tip drops. The control surfaces aren't robust enough for that kind of duty!

Name:	IMG_1780.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	16099

Comment

Michael, don't be surprised if the Smithsonian calls wanting to that thing on display.

Comment

Originally posted by ingrahal View Post
                            Michael, don't be surprised if the Smithsonian calls wanting to that thing on display.
                            Yeah... how to build a piece of junk! Thanks Art! Did you get what you needed from the SD card. I don't wanna spoil the surprise (if it is gonna be one) for you know who!

Anybody got any ideas for making music wire bend in perfect circles of ~8" diameter? I can just see the 3/32" music wire kinking around a grooved wooden form. I don't have any large oven, roller dies or machine shop stuff for this...yet!

Comment

• ingrahal
                              ingrahal commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes you got some good shots of the one I needed, thanks!

What joins the wire where the two ends meet?
                          Working...
                          X