Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Slingsby Skylark 3B construction

Hi again everyone!

Yep, a new construction... I know, I know: after the horrible incident of my Topaze in Vermont last September, I clearly remember myself saying "never again an old-timer!!!"... Well, you know how we all are, there's nothing like the smell of balsa dust and cyano in the morning!! So here we go again. My choice of plane was dictated essentially with the gained experience of the Topaze build: I wanted a model of comparable size (4,5 meter wingspan), but a simpler design (no all moving stab, for instance). One other thing to be considered was that I expected a three parts wing with a sturdy central section. After some researches, the decision was made for the Slingsby Skylark 3B, modelled in 1987 by John Elliot. The cool thing is that our good friend Marc Beaupre also offers a short kit (wing ribs and fuse formers) for a very reasonable price!! I ordered the plan and canopy from Trapplet UK, and the parts beautifully laser cut by Marc arrived a couple of weeks later. Here's a short build-log of the plane...

The construction started by the fuselage; classical build: 1/8" balsa planking on the formers, and a lot and a lot and a lot of sanding afterward. To be continued...
    Attached Files

Slingsby construction, part two...

One other thing I'll do with this sailplane is to "personalize" it with a pilot; the pilot is from Fabrizio in Italy, bit expensive, but too cool! As a matter of fact, I also have to do a respectable cabin for my new pilot; here are pictures of where I am so far, and ideas of the sanded fuselage and tailplane. Next step: the wing...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Danger Dan
      Danger Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Woh ! This is a work of art ! Bravo Marc !

Beautiful construction.
    I especially like the work on the instrument panel. Very classy.
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len!!! More to come...

Comment

Looks great! Nice planking job.

Comment

Marc, what a nice job!

Comment

Looks to be a nice sailplane. Any more?

Comment

Hi guys! And thanks again for the appreciation of my work! So far, the tailplane is complete, and the fuse will only need to be covered and the canopy installed. Regarding the tailplane, I did work on a new method for shrouding the leading edges of the rudder and elevator: instead of letting the 1/16" balsa covering get a little over the trailing edges as usual (since you have to sand the inside of the slot, it tends to make the balsa very thin and fragile), I worked with 1/64" plywood, in 1/2" layers glued on the balsa covering. Then, simple light filing, sanding, and voila! I think the photos will tell the story better than my words...

I also came back last week from Europe with the pilot I ordered from Italy a couple of weeks ago; the work from Fabrizio is absolutely astonishing! You got to see it! Next: the wings...
              Attached Files

Comment

Great progress Marc.
                Were did the pilot come from? Do you have a link?
                Len
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len! The guy who makes these pilots does not have a web site so far, but you'll reach him easily by email at this address: Flyrc.it
                  His name's Fabrizio and he's a pretty cool customer .

Comment

The 1/64" ply should work great to shroud the rudder LE. You could make up some 'home made' G-10 and use it for that, too! I think I saw some of Fabrizio's pilots on an RCG thread(?) They are nice.

Comment

Hi ARUP,

Yeah, you're right about Fabrizio's Pilot, they were mentioned in a RCG thread (Scale sailplanes), but it seemed to have disappeared now... Could you please extend on what you mean by "home made G-10"? Thanks!

Marc

Comment

G-10 is a fiberglass board material that is smooth on both surfaces. It is used to produce many things that have a 2-D profile like control surface horns and the like. It lends well to laser and water jet cutting. I wouldn't doubt if the control horns as found in the Horizon Hobby ASW20 kit are made from it. I don't like buying stuff if I can make it. 'G-10 like' material is easily made sandwiching a few layers of fiberglass cloth and polyester resin between two panes of glass. I put waxed paper on the glass to make clean up a little easier. If made thin it is fairly flexible.

Comment

Got it! Of course, I guess such a material, especially home made, could be even thinner than 1/64" ply... I'll keep the idea for the next project, thanks!

Comment

Hi everyone,

Sorry once again for the long silence, I was busy building... Pretty nice excuse, hey . The three parts wing is now almost done. Quite conventional build, except that precision needs to be there at the two outer joining sections. I followed the designers' instructions, and built one half central section in the same time as the connecting outer wing panel, so that everything is as aligned as possible. The outer panels are joined to the central main section with carbon blades and rods. I also constructed the canopy frame and fitted the canopy on the frame and fuse; so far, I'm rather pleased with the results ! Most of what is left to do is finishing the wing: covering the central panel with balsa and 1/16" ply, and working on the whole wing leading edge. Some few more finishing details on the fuse, and next is Solartex covering on there whole thing... More coming folks!

Marc
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X