No announcement yet.

Dave Smith/Tom Martin 1/4 Scale Hall Cherokee Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is one thing I forgot to mention. The formers G, H and Q are set at 2 deg from vertical to set the wing incidence. I used a protractor to set the angle.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3577resize.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	654

Name:	640IMG_3578resize.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	655

Comment

Art, I assume you know about the cherokee "blogspot"? All known Cherokees are here. Pretty sure you can find something you like for a color scheme!

​http://cherokeesailplanes.blogspot.c...roll-call.html

DS

Comment

I will probably make something up since I am going with Solartex natural for the recovering, probably mostly green with open sections left the natural color.
        Team "Casa Del Whaco's"

Comment

Dave, yes I have been on the Cherokee II blog site. In fact Tony's comments reminded of Dean Gradwell's N72DG which after looking at it again really appeals to me.

Tony, Thanks. Your input helped me decide to model N72DG. I like the idea of unpainted covering for it's translucence and weight savings. On the SGS 1-26B I did the solortex and Nelson's Hobby paint added 1.5 lbs to the airframe. The paint was probably 0.5 lbs of that. Ok, well now that that is settled I will get back to building.

Name:	640IMG_5208resize.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	685

Comment

Update:

Back when I bought the kit for this plane I had just finished building a vacuum forming machine. Knowing I would need a canopy and anxious to try out the machine I carved a plug out of balsa and finished it with urethane. After wasting a bunch PEG sheet plastic and not one good usable canopy I realized that it was much harder than I thought. I got busy with other things and gave the machine a rest. Then later I had a need for a windshield for a 1/4 scale Decathlon. So after some research and a little trial and error I got a successful pull. That was documented in a build thread on the Decathlon on the old forum. So today, with that knowledge and the plug I had carved earlier, I was able to pull a good canopy for the Cherokee.

I first made a pull of 0.010" styrene. Leaving the styrene on the plug, I then applied carnauba wax and buffed it out. Then pulled the 0.030" PEG over the styrene for the canopy. The styrene acts as a filler to hide imperfections.

Name:	640IMG_3579resize.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	729

Name:	640IMG_3582resize.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	730

That's all I did today. I wanted to do something fun, which the vacuum machine is once you start getting good pulls from it.

Comment

Art... I could use one of those canopies for my Cherokee and a box of 45ACP when you are done using them for weight! I really like Dean G's translucent color scheme. I bet it would really show up well at altitude, glowing in the sunlight, just like my 'antique' birds! Let me know what kind of $$$ you need for the canopy if you pull an extra or two. My vacuum former isn't big enough. Cheers, Michael

Comment

Hey Michael, glad you stopped by. PM me your address and I'll send you a canopy. You can buy me a beer at Huntsville this year. Oh and you don't get to complain about the quality.

Comment

Ok well right after I got the canopy made Dave Smith pointed out the modifications that N72DG has to the fuselage and canopy. I hadn't even noticed it but the canopy is elongated and the rear canopy was added. This is very fortunate for me because the mods need to be done now at this stage of construction. He also provided me a link to download his collection of photos on N72DG. THANKS DAVE !!!

Comment

Question for Dave Smith, is the wing center section built flat on the plan or in place on the fuselage?

Comment

In place on the fuselage. Once you slot the ribs in place they will be aligned and ready for false leading edge, which will hold things steady. If you look at the builds on RCGroups, especially the very first Cherokee build thread, you'll see a few pictures that will help out. Post #15 onwards.

DS

Comment

Thanks Dave!!! I have looked those photos over several times it just wasn't clear if the basic framing was done on the plan and then moved to the fuselage at some point or what.

Update:
                        I have started on the wing center section with the modifications for the DG version in mind. Of course I'll have to redo my canopy when it's all said and done. I spent a fair amount of time removing the wing ribs from their laser cut sheets. The laser did not cut clean through on most of them and they had to be cut free with a hobby knife. Why am I worried about wing ribs you ask? Well I wanted to drill the holes for the servo wires which extend out through rib R12. I like to stack the ribs and drill all the holes at once. Once the ribs were prepared I started framing up the center section.

I first applied a light coat of M77 adhesive and let it dry good. You just want a temporary bond. I aligned the ribs by the spar notches so the servo wire hole would be parallel to the spar.

Name:	640IMG_3583resize.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	859

I used a 1/2" forstner bit at 5K rpm to drill the hole.

Name:	640IMG_3586resize.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	860

Next is the hole for the alignment pin. This time I aligned the ribs with the wing rod sleeve so the holes will be parallel to the wing rod. I transferred the position of former I to the ribs which include the R1A, R1 and R2 ribs.

Name:	640IMG_3587resize.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	861

Then drilled a 5/32" hole for the alignment pin sleeve.

Name:	640IMG_3588resize.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	862

Comment

Update post 26 continued:

Next is the slot for the brace. This is only in the two center ribs. I drilled and then filed to fit the 1/8" X 1/2" plywood brace. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3594resize.jpg
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	864

After removing the construction tabs from the ribs I started by clamping the outer ribs square to former H. I then cut the lower spar cap and then the sub-leading edge and rear brace based on the length of the spar cap. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3595resize.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	865

I then glued in the brace and sub-leading edge. Now everything is straight and square. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3596resize.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	866

That's all for now.
                          Last edited by ingrahal; 05-28-2015, 05:44 AM.

Comment

That's cool. Moving along nicely. thanks for posting the updates.

Petr

Comment

Thanks Petr and you're welcome. I enjoy doing these build logs.

Update: I continued work on the center section. First gluing the bottom spar cap in place and then sheeting the bottom of the shoulders. I decided to use a tongue and socket for wing retention.

Sheeting the bottom of the shoulders.

Name:	640IMG_3597resize.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	894

Name:	640IMG_3599resize.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	895

My son makes parts for Falcon Jet and gets scrap pieces of Divinycell foam. I've been trying it in various applications. It has some nice properties but is expensive. Here I'm using it for the retention blocks.

Name:	640IMG_3601resize.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	896

The screw will come up through the bottom. I counter bored the holes so the screw heads will be hidden.

Name:	640IMG_3603resize.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	897

Continued on next post.

Comment

Continued from previous post.

Pressing the T nuts in the tongues with the drill press.

Name:	640IMG_3604resize.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	899

Here the tongues are screwed in place. Of course they will be glued into the wings once the wings can be mounted to the fuselage.

Name:	640IMG_3605resize.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	900

That's it for now. Next will be the spar/wing rod sleeve, the alignment pin sleeve, trailing edge carbon fiber strip (on order) and the top sheeting.

Comment

Working...
                                X