Super Dimona Motor Glider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Dimona Motor Glider

Diamond Aircraft Industries of Austria produces the HK36 Super Dimona 2-seat motor glider. This model kit was originally sold back in the glory days of Hobby Lobby and is no longer available.

The kit is comprised of medium weight fiberglass fuselage and built-up wings that yield a 95" span final product. When this bird became available I immediately jumped as I knew it was built by the electric sailplane master Lenny Keer who had not flown it in many years. It's just about 200 mph too slow for Lenny. ;-) Power is a Scorpion 3020-14 motor turning a 9x6 prop on 4S 65C LiPo power.

The plane arrived Plain Jane white with red winglets. While setting up the radio and swapping over connectors to Anderson Power Poles, I dressed her up a bit yesterday with bits from my graphics scrap file. The maiden flight was this morning at Waveny Park in New Canaan, CT. Now that I know it is a FANTASTIC flying plane I'll be going to Callie to finish out the graphics!

Take-off roll was nice at 1/3 throttle and it jumped into the air at about half. Absolutely beautiful in flight on power and when simply gliding. It definitely does indicate lift well as I worked a couple weak morning bumps. Climb at 1/2 throttle is very scale. Pour on full throttle and it will scoot right up. Nice to have that added margin of power if I ever get it into trouble. Landing was a non-event just settling gently into the grass.

Lenny converted the plane from a trike into a tail dragger (still considered scale) and did a beautiful job moving the gear forward. Tail wheel is fully steerable. Overall a definite keeper! Here are a few cell phone photos from this morning...
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

she looks sweet Steve...hope to see in person soon close up... and soaring the skies. Congrats on the 2nd maiden.

Matt

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the memories! I remember wearing out the pages of the latest Hobby Lobby Catalogue studying every detail of each model, motor, prop, and battery combination. Certainly remember the first issue that the Super Dimona appeared in and trying to justify the purchase.
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

That's so cool, I remembered flying the full scale in the mid 80s at PGC the owner was Art Millay. Either I or my sister has pictures of it.
        Gunny
        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Nice Steve, I used to have a smaller model of this aircraft. You said it was turned into a tail dragger, but it looks as if it has a wheel pant at the front of the first picture!

Jeremy and Ben
          SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss1 View Post
            Nice Steve, I used to have a smaller model of this aircraft. You said it was turned into a tail dragger, but it looks as if it has a wheel pant at the front of the first picture!

Jeremy and Ben
            SCCAAA TT TN

Hi Jeremy -- not sure what you are asking? Yes, it does have wheel pants. It no longer has tricycle landing gear with a nose wheel up front and the mains back toward the trailing edge. Here's a full scale for example -- tail dragger versus standard trike...
            Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Jeremy is right, The picture you posted looks like a nose wheel is still in place, lol
              Must be litter on the field.
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

A well-placed leaf. If it had a wrong-sized Swiss Cross on it then there would have been an issue.

Comment

Thank's for the collaboration Len, I thought my eye's are going. So did you cover up a non compliant Swiss Cross with the German Flag Steve?

Jeremy and Ben
                  SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Nice Steve, now you need the 1/3 like mine. The Dimona came as tail dragger or nose wheel configuration, I found a nice tail dragger in Austria and used as my modeling source.

Comment

Working...
                    X