Adding RC Tech 3000 system to 6.5m LS-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding RC Tech 3000 system to 6.5m LS-4

I acquired the RC Tech system too late to have the TEP tube mount installed in the fin (the LS-4 was finished at the factory as a demo model), so I had to tackle it myself. Turned out to be easier than I expected as the rudder post has a vertical slot in it, and the rudder is removable. Next challenge was accurately drilling a tight-fitting hole for the mounting tube stub, which I managed to do from the leading edge of the fin.

The mounting tube stub is attached to a soft flexible tubing inside the fin, which in turn connects to the harder tubing that runs forward to the sensor unit. I assembled the flexible tubing to the mounting stub with a touch of flexible CA for safety, then inserted a piece of smaller brass tubing into the flexible stuff. I used that to get the mounting stub into position, and hold it in alignment until the glue set.

I connected the harder tubing to the flex tubing and routed it to the side of the rudder post and attached it with flexible CA. For those spots deep inside the fuselage boom I used strips of Gorilla Tape which I could either reach, or position on the end of a stick.

The next challenge was where to mount the GPS antenna and 'brains' units. I had popped the instrument pilze off the canopy frame to better mount it, and when i saw all the room inside the pilze it was obvious where to put the gear. Plus I need to get the GPS antenna up as high as possible, so why not on top of the instrument panel. Just cut a hole, mount the sensor and done.

Oops, wait, still have to attach an air tube and power, and where can I stick the antenna so it doesn't hit anything, it is straight, and it doesn't have nasty electronics nearby.

It worked out quite well as you can see in the pics. Nice thing is when I remove the canopy I have access to everything, and can easily disconnect if needed.

Will try it out at the Visalia aerotow in two weeks.

Bruce DeVisser
    San Jose, CA
    Last edited by Scalesoaring; 11-03-2015, 11:24 PM.

Bruce, is that the system Rick came up with?

Looking forward to hearing the results

LEN
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Hi Len - Yes, Rick Shelby brings this in from Europe. They are very popular out here. My OFB Brian Chan and I went to a GPS Triangle training camp in Switzerland for a day to learn they do it. Chris Garrod (UK) was very patient and thorough in explaining how it works, and did a nice demo for us. Using a Mini-Tablet (like a Samsung) attached to the transmitter is very popular as the display is much larger and easier to see whats going on.

Rick was kind enough to load the Visalia coordinates into the SD card for me, so I should be up and running quickly on the 20th.
      Bruce
      Last edited by Scalesoaring; 11-06-2015, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Update - finished product. I sprayed a coat of Rustoleum Primerless Flat Black for plastic - very easy to use.

Comment

Photos of the guts - forgot to post them earlier...

Comment

Slick setup Bruce. Where in Switzerland did they have the course?
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Hi Len

The course was at Schmerlat, very close to Schaffhausen and the Rheinfall. Private full-scale soaring field. Ueli Nyffenegger put on a weeklong aerotow camp.

Comment

I got to test out the RC Electronics T3000 system a couple of weeks back at the Visalia, CA monthly aerotow in the 6.5m LS-4. Arrived Friday, delivered a 9m ASG-29 kit, a 1/3 Salto fuselage, and did a lot of flying on Saturday. I first had to change the T3000 channel so as not to conflict with the other guys. I demonstrated my lack of knowledge (!) and was promptly helped by experienced GPS guys - thanks to Scott Marnoch and Mac Powell. Turns out this unit is very easy to use, the only drawback being the relatively volume audio (for an old goat like me) when using the supplied single earphone. I will look for an amplified version, although an "ear bud" would work well also. The usual altitude, climb rate, vario tones, and voltage callouts were very clear and helpful - as I told a couple of guys the climb and sink alerts matched my Mk I Eyeball Thermal Detector exactly. After a while I was content to listen and move the sticks a bit to keep the tone constant - the air was buoyant but thermals were weak and small diameter. Nonetheless I had 17~20 minute flights from 350~400m release heights, clearly aided by the vario.

I listened to the GPS Triangle inside/outside/turn info and looked at the turnpoints a few times - quite easy to use even for a beginner to this event. I'm looking forward to practicing with a new 1:3 DG-600 in the early Spring, and then competing.

Comment

Working...
                X