FailSafe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FailSafe?

Not sure this is the correct spot on this forum, but it is a question about scale gliders. How to you folks setup your fail-safe conditions on a scale glider? I'm not asking how to setup the radio (at least not yet), but where do you want the control surfaces to go on a fail-safe situation? I'm thinking everything straight ahead, except for a little right or left aileron, or maybe just a little rudder? Thoughts??

Hi

For me the Failsafe is to plan to do a controlled crashed avoiding putting somebody in danger with glider heading straight to the ground like most of the crash I have seen. In order to obtain this I have :

Tow release off
    Motor off
    spoiler out
    left rudder half way
    Elevator up half way

I am hopping it to put my glider in a low speed spin...

Hopefully never seen it in practice

On a side note, everyone should check his fail safe on his tow plane when the tow plane is on the ground idling at least once. I have seen very bad situations ... I won't give names...

Stéphane
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Hi
      With a sailplane with spoilers you can try what is called benign spiral. That is all controls to neutral (thermal trim on elevator) and the spoilers open. This should go into a very stable spiral.
      I have tried it in a full size SGS 1-26 with great success.
      Jm

Comment

Thanks guys. A low speed spin sounds about as reasonable as anything. While I agree on trying to avoid putting anyone in danger is a great goal, not sure how you can plan that in advance. Thanks for the insights and ideas, I'll do my best.

Larry

Comment

I set mine for control neutral, spoilers out. gear down and tow release locked.

If you inadvertently turn on the receiver and the gear is not set to down, you will ruin a lot of gear doors, not to mention servos. Also, the loop will keep falling out at every aerotow you go to. The tug has a release if it needs too dump.

My 2 cents

len
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len, Thanks--very good points. Thanks for chiming in with your recommendation. I hope others read this as well.

Larry

Comment

Working...
            X