New member here with a question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member here with a question?

Have any of you that have the E-Flite 30% retract installed had problems with the Retract? Mine failed on the Bench and I am glad it was there and not on Final. Basically something in the gear assembly let go and it would ratchet then the motor would run freely. It is being replaced no charge but I have a big confidence issue with the retract.

Thanks for your input
    Scottchman

Hi Scottchman

That retract works very well is there is nothing hindering the retraction. I have had a couple issues as have others with the same thing you talk about. Mine was a situation where the switch was activated while on the ground and it stripped the gears. This is what seems to have happened with yours, the gears are stripped.
    Horizon has a replacement gear package available now for those that need it, and I understand there may be another upgrade somewhere in the works?
    Many of us have gone as far as removing the motor and gearbox and attached and arm with a servo to activate the retract. Very simple to do and never fails. If you need pictures or any additional info, let me know.

The plane flies AWESOME though ( if its in the ASW20 )

Welcome aboard, we look forward to hearing more about your plane.

LEN
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len, thanks for your reply. I have always used the servo actuated retracts for many years and have found them to be bullet proof. I thought I would try this all in one retract if you will as I like the idea if it is dependable! Where can I get an arm that will attach to the .160 Dia. shaft for a separate servo actuated retract? I have removed the Gear assembly and Motor from the defective unit.
      Yes, I have this unit in a brand new, never flown ASW 20 from Hangar 9. Haven't seen much pilot input on how well it Thermals, how well can you work light lift with it?
      Thanks for your reply!

Scottchman

Comment

I wound up using a du-bro steering arm.
        Gunny
        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Thanks very much Gunny! I will try that, hope they have it locally! Sometimes I feel like I am on the Moon finding stufff at hobby stores.

Comment

Be sure to run the retract on 4 cell nimh or using a 5v regulator

I had the same issue with mine running on 2s a123, since then I added a spektrum voltage regulator and had no issue for the season
            Stephane
            Stéphane
            Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Thank you for the information Stephane!

Comment

The ASW 20 has a wide performance range. You can slow it down to a crawl with flaps, or speed it up and flash by the flightline with a little reflex. Thermal flying is excellent, the plane is light and clean, so there's not a lot of drag to slow you own until you drop the flaps or deploy the spoilers.
                Although not technically needed, the spoilers add the ability to plant the glider exactly where you want it.

len
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

"someone flipped the retract switch"

Hanging head in shame.....

Comment

LOL,

I didn't tell ......
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

But I didn't throw the tow release 3 feet off the ground instead of bringing up the gear

Comment

Working...
                      X