DG-1000 Carbon Edition @ 6.0 meter wingspan by Mibo Modeli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG-1000 Carbon Edition @ 6.0 meter wingspan by Mibo Modeli

Some guys spend the night in front of the Apple store waiting for the newest gizmo while guys like me drive by, honk our horns and taunt by laughing loudly out the window.

Other guys get large wooden boxes, their wives walk by, sigh deeply and just cradle their faces into their open palms.

I'm that guy!

So, here we go with the "unboxing" of the brand new Mibo 6.0 meter DG-1000. My friend Bogo runs Mibo in Solvenia, which is mostly known for their Jets, the very popular ALES ship the Electro (Santa, I want a Electro 2, 3.9 meter spread tow carbon version because I've been a good boy) and other sailplane models. On the scale side, their tiny Micro Swift is a popular slope tool.

Bogo produced a DG1000 in fiberglass that looked pretty appealing at 6 meters in span. He toured it around to some aerotow events in Solvenia. As we were sharing photos back and forth, I made the mistake of telling him that if he ever wanted to try to do one with all carbon wings, I'd take it. He did. So I did. You understand, I just have to be a man of my word?! It's an honor thing! These will eventually be for sale on the open market. If you can't wait, contact Bogo via their website. BTW, I elected to delete the flaps for a full scale DG vibe. This model can come with flaps.

Note in this photo from DG Flugzeugbau... Ain't no flaps on a DG-1000...

This will be a very casual build thread. Just the high points. And, don't get your hopes up. I have a backlog that makes Boeing look like a bunch of slackers. This will be assembled over the upcoming winter.

​
    PHOTO ONE: Here's the fantastic sloped crate and insane level of packaging to protect the bird. We went all gangster and chose to ship FedEx. The plane went from Bogo's shop in Logatec, Slovenia to the airport in Ljubljana to Cologne, Germany to Memphis, TN to Stamford, CT to my local hobby shop to my garage in just 6 days with one of those days being held hostage by U.S. Customs. Thanks to Gerry Jarvis and his loading dock at Al's Hobbies for accepting the "coffin."

PHOTO TWO: Even with that custom crate and a fortune in padding, it's always a tense moment when you dig down to reveal the goodies. Bogo sent me two extra canopy frames and two canopies. I guess my reputation has spread all the way around the globe...

PHOTO THREE: And the happy time when your new toy is finally in the workshop and all in good shape!! It's a big puppy! More presence than the Let 5.3 meter I used to own.

I'll be going all DMSS Xbus and doing the markings as a DG-1001. Stay tuned.

Attached Files
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

That is a beautiful looking sailplane Steve !

Comment

Looks good Steve,
      How's the fit and finish?
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Wings are incredibly stiff and appear quite strong. Fuselage is robust. I haven't done the wing to fuse connection, but the tip to main in fine.

The surface finish is average -- akin to your 10M Nimbus. Not perfect high gloss or pristine at the HModel, Let, HKM, or lesser Baudis level. Frankly more like a full scale ship in use versus our models.

I'm going to go over it more closely this weekend and do a full dry assembly.
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Sweeeet!!!!
          Gunny
          Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

I love the wing joiner!

Comment

Hopefully I fixed the broken links. Guessed on the DG Flugzeugbau.de photo…

I grabbed the url of each attachment above and then edited the post in advanced mode toggling on in the upper left menu bar?

Absolutely beautiful, will keep my eye on this build, subscribed.

Cheers, Thompson

Comment

I was able to get into the shop this afternoon and decided to pull this beast out of storage. Would be nice to maiden the plane at the New England Aerotow in May.

I was able to get both tips wired and servos installed as well as the main wing wire. The plane came with internal aileron links all complete, but I was not happy with the travel those offered. So, I went with typical European brass inserts. All HV servos for the plane. JR 8411s on the main ailerons, JR 398s on the tip ailerons and spoilers. Work keeps me out of the shop these days, but I'll try to grab a few hours here and there.

I plan to rework the cockpit interior and how the seat pans are installed. I think I will also fully paint out the fuselage interior. Callie did a new set of graphics so I'm eager to dress up the exterior as well.

Photo one is the wing pieces coming together. The wing bottoms will have vinyl stripes and white vinyl servo covering, so don't mind that sloppy coroner. ;-)

Comment

Beauty! Two holers are cool!

Comment

Oh no! Len will not be pleased by this photo! I, however, certainly am. Carboline Aspire F5J ready for maiden. It's light as a feather. On a Mega CE direct drive setup 1000 mAh 3S LiPo more suitable to true F5J competition, so it will not be as zippy as the ALES guys. I have a geared setup that may make its way into the nose. Hopefully this plane will become my primary and my spread tow layup Aspire will be the backup. Took me away from the DG build. Worse, it's one of the reasons I'm not going to the Horizon Aerotow. Joining Erich, Pete, John, Brian, Aurele, Gudmund and others soar heads at the Polecat ALES. Now back to the DG...

Comment

• Xroadie
                      Xroadie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice Aspire Steve!! They are amazing fliers!! I sure love my TD version

Beautiful work Steve........the DG-1001 will be spectacular and the Aspire is such an excellent sailplane.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build for the DG-1001.

I hope that the airframe will become available to us here in the US as it should be an absolutely outstanding performer based on its design and materials. The carbon wings should be excellent for this airframe.

Bob

Comment

Why do they always look so much smaller outside the workshop??? Relocated to the garage today -- the cockpit interior was very rough. A thorough sanding, coat of epoxy and then dark gray paint throughout. Reworked the seat pans so they sit lower. Now when everything is installed the views past the pan will be dark and look more scale.

Upgraded the 1000 to 1001 and will replace the graphics on the canopy side with the new DG-1001 look thanks to Callie. I wanted to get paint done today so it has time to fully cure as I won't be getting back to for a while.

Comment

Got an whole 45 minutes in the shop today. Just enough time to remove the Hitec arm from the retract and go for MORE POWER. I went with the JR NX8921 servo with the new JR Heavy Duty Aluminum arm. In this plane's HV setup the servo will be convincing the retract to operate with 505 ounces of torque. The retract used by Mibo appears to be an improved version of the one installed by Baudis in the Antares. They look nearly identical except the stack of alternating rubber and steel washers are replaced with heavy duty springs. The retract also has two additional springs on the left and right sides to help snap the unit closed and keep it from hanging down and therefore working against the servo in flight. I did go with added washers on either side of the ball link on the arm to avoid any risk of the link popping off. We shall see, but so far it all looks quite good!

Comment

Finally this weekend should result in a finished model. Home stretch!

Comment

Cut out the existing tow release mount location under the front seat pan and moved it to the nose.

All wiring complete and a basic program done.

Comment

Working...
                            X