No announcement yet.

Hol’s der Teufel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wing tips are rough framed until they get the ply caps to make them look Purdy. I’m really surprised at how stiff and lightweight this wing has turned out to be. A fellow RC friend stopped over last night and couldn’t believe it either.

I still have the metal work and gussets / ply treatment, but the bulk of the wings are now complete.

Comment

Managed to complete something for the first time. My first ply wrapped leading edge turned out really well. I cut the pieces to shape, soaked them in water and wrapped them around a pool cue handle, and let them dry for 24 hours. Tonight I managed to get most of the leading edge done on one of the wings using the Titebond and hot iron method. The ends of the wing will get a bit more complicated, so I stopped for the night so I wouldn’t make a stupid mistake rushing it.
      Last edited by Dion Dunn; 06-14-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice. Glad it worked first time.

Wing tips and root covering finished.

Comment

Well, I've been a little remiss in keeping this thread updated. A LOT of work has been done lately, but based on the complexities of this build it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes!

So here goes:

I Finally got around to building the ailerons. These aren’t normal as they incorporate a lot of upsweep creating some of the most dramatic washout I’ve ever seen. Getting the curve right was tricky not only with mounting the special ribs, but adjusting the trailing edge which is made from a combination of ply and steam bent bass. Can you say stable drag?

I had to rebuild the aileron spar because my previous attempt made it too thick for the ribs to fit correctly, and it was easier making another set of spars than rebuilding the ribs! I used 1/8” hard balsa faced with 1/64” ply for a nice stiff spar that fits this time.

I started to do a little metal work as well. I do not own a milling machine, a 3D printer, or any of the other cool gadgets and tools that are replicating the real thing these days. I have a dremel, a vise, and some files and I know how to braze and solder. So it's the old fashioned way for me. I fabricated the strut ends for the wings out of 22g steel. I’ll try 26g next time as these were a little difficult to bend but they turned out pretty good. 4 in total. I also made the scale-like hinges from a combination of square brass tube and round aluminum. They worked out swimingly well and operate as smooth as silk.

I added all of the gussets and diagonals to make one very stiff aileron. I also made the scale aileron horns, but those won’t be mounted until I know that the aileron doesn’t need to lay flat on the bench.

Comment

Also, Mr Ren DiLeo over at www.premierpilots.com strongly suggested that one of his pilots would look good in the Hol’s and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, and after seeing this little guy in person I couldn’t agree more! We both concluded that ‘Jim’ from the vintage line would look good, and he showed up today. He brought his own glasses, goggles, watch, hat and seat harness. Talk about a well equipped pilot!

His name will stay Jim in honor of Mr Jim Hoffer who sent me down this path and has supplied me with so much knowledge on this project. Jim, I hope you resemble Jim a little!

Jim decided to check out some of the airframes. He started with the Spatz, then quickly jumped in the Cherokee and did a pose on the Hol’s wing. He mentioned something about sanding gussets later.....

Then he climbed up to say hi to Sven in the Sparmann and decided that’s where he will supervise for the time being.

I hope he is patient.....

Comment

And finally, the left aileron has been started....

I also had to take time out yesterday to stain the deck and pergola. I felt like ARUP staining one of my vintage sailplanes, but it was outside in 95 degree heat and took me all day.

Comment

• horsefeetky
              horsefeetky commented
              Editing a comment
              not going to be finished for cumberland but looking great and making progress. are you going to attend cumberland in a few weeks..

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahahahaha! I stain my models and put varnish on them outside in 98 degree weather!

Ha ha. Cumberland is not in the cards for me, but thanks for the compliment!

Comment

Working...
            X