Clear All

• Hol’s der Teufel

this will be its third home. More to come. 😉

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	36812
    Last edited by Dion Dunn; 05-25-2019, 01:18 AM.

Name:	
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	36816 F

Comment

I see another scale project coming our way😀
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Good guess Gunny.

This poor build started over on RCScaleBuilder way, way, way back in 2012. Like many projects, I got distracted and this thing was mothballed, but recently pulled out again. Since it’s Summer now and sailing, biking, flying, and just being outdoors season, this wont be ready to fly any time soon. I recently resurrected it over on RCG, but the scale sailplane section over there doesn't seem to be getting any high quality traffic - well at least nobody looking at this one any longer. So now I’m hoping the final resting place is the home of scale sailplanes! Back to the future we go.....

After seeing the following video on YouTube (in 2012) and finding out what the little primary glider was called, I knew I had to build it. As you can see, the Hol's der Teufel is a closed cockpit variation of the good old German primary glider. It's been modeled before, but so have a lot of planes. I can only hope that mine comes in good enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFq7k...ture=youtube_g data_player

Luckily, I also found a friend on the net who I am indebted to. He was able to supply me with all of the documentation I need to get this build going including a CD full of detailed pics from his own 40% Primary glider build which is now hanging in the Southwest Soaring Museum. I could not have asked for more or better reference material. Thank you Jim.

Well, that's about it for now. I will start catching everyone up from here.
        Last edited by Dion Dunn; 05-25-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Rather than repeat all of the posts from other sites, i’ll Just let you go see it for yourself if you choose:

Comment

Name:	
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	36831 And here we are now. My big progress this week has been getting the ribs glued to the spars - which sounds easier than it is with something like this. The diagonals aren’t even glued in yet and this wing is already very stiff. I had to add small spacers under the rear spar openings to fill the gaps (similar to the fulls scale), but everything is snug and tight.

Name:	
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	36830

Name:	
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	36832

Comment

very cool....
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len.

all of the diagonals are secure, and the port side wing has started.

Comment

• Gene C
                  Gene C commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love the construction. Appears to be in the right home now.

• Steve P
                  Steve P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful!

Thank you Gene!

Comment

Nice work, Dion! Ya gotta get it ready to fly, man!

Comment

Thanks Steve

Come on Michael, you know my builds tend to be on 10 year timeframes. 😝

Comment

Ok, this isn’t all that exciting but also one of those things that I’ve been thinking about for a while. The leading edge of this wing is wrapped in ply, but it still has a small stringer that goes along the ribs behind the ply. So I made a pattern out of flashing aluminum that fit the spar and each rib nose with a small slot cut that matched the stringer width and depth. Then I marked it with a pen. When all were marked I made sure they lined up and started cutting with the dremel tool - very carefully. Lucky me, they all lines up very nicely and now I have a a nice straight basswood leading edge. By the way, that’s the framed up port side wing so now both wings are framed and glued.

Comment

Found this picture on a Facebook vintage glider group. Bungee launching the Hol’s off of a beach in Croatia riding ridge lift!

Comment

I managed to get most of the trailing edge on both wings installed by slotting each rib to accept a 1/16" ply strip which is then capped by a 1/8" square basswood trailing edge. It will need some slight shaping, but it turned out nice and straight and very stiff. And exactly like the instruction manual from 1935 says how to build it.

One of my deviations from stock was with the root rips. These will be capped with a ply strip and "out of sight", so I beefed them up a little and made each one out of 1/8" bass. They really don't take any kind of load like a typical root rib because of the wing attachment configuration, so I thought I'd try something simpler than build 4 more ribs from all of the little fiddly bits.

Comment

• ARUP
                            ARUP commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Lucky guy having the full scale build documentation!

Yep, all I need to do is translate 70 pages of 1930’s German (which Google doesn't do all that well). After all, this was just a kit glider intended for lots of glider clubs learning to glide down Alpine hills!

Comment

• ARUP
                            ARUP commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just go to the German American Club in Louisville, buy a few rounds, then whip out those documents! I'm sure someone would be willing to translate!
                        Working...
                        X