Paint Schemes - Schweizer TG-3A / SGS 2-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Schemes - Schweizer TG-3A / SGS 2-12

Having a P.Goldsmith TG-3A kit on order inspired me to visit the paint scheme possibilities for this model. Being a bit of a scale geek and this being a military aircraft I researched what the original factory or historical paint schemes should be before looking at post war civilian examples. To my astonishment there is extremely limited photographic reference for this glider on the web and also from the limited book references I have access to. Not only from a production stand point but also post war civilian examples. I'm sure a few people have a nice photo collection in a shoe box from their grandfathers war time experiences and there are surely a number of civilian photos out here somewhere. I have zero photos of a TG-3A in military action during WWII.

From the sources I do have access to I can deduce that the first three examples produced were delivered in the traditional training aircraft colors of blue/yellow with "flag" motive on the tail.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TG3A_0_BlueYellow.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	34785

I can only guess from the photo's that do exist that the majority were delivered in an all aluminum dope scheme. This "may" have been an expedient to increase production. The units that received them may have added additional colors and markings like all yellow wings and such.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TG3A_0_Silver.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	34786

There are three examples of "Silver/Yellow" schemes in museums or storage but these appear to be postwar restoration schemes and I can find no evidence that they were painted these colors during their military careers but they are very attractive schemes nonetheless. Here's a modified example of one in storage.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TG3A_0_SilverYellow01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	34787

If I can find any further evidence of alternate schemes during the war I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know.

The first three TG-3As were blue with yellow. Further production machines were all silver with black serial numbers and circular fields of insignia blue with white stars. I'll have to check my books for anything else!

Comment

This is a depiction of one of the 10 post war pictures I've found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TG3A_0_N61513.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	34900
      Last edited by BryanB; 03-17-2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Started working on some custom schemes that I think would look good on the SGS 2-12. Here's the first one.

Name:	TG3A_0_Yellow01.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	34906

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
          Started working on some custom schemes that I think would look good on the SGS 2-12. Here's the first one.

Name:	TG3A_0_Yellow01.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	34906
          I like that one......the “yellow” could be changed to any color and look good......red....orange.....lime green.....even purple!
          TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• BryanB
            BryanB commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Tom. I have a few more almost ready but I'm leaving on a two day trip.

I have the print from Tom Martin Radio Control and a 5 dollar frame from Walmart. Just waiting on the kit now and also deciding on a scheme like the rest of you

Comment

Originally posted by wesryman View Post
            I have the print from Tom Martin Radio Control and a 5 dollar frame from Walmart. Just waiting on the kit now and also deciding on a scheme like the rest of you
            Yes, that scheme is a representation of the one hanging in Elmira. What I don't know is if it is a restoration or original covering. Guess I could call them and find out. There is a black and white photo pf something similar to this one with Paul Schweizer giving an employee a ride but the color demarcations line are significantly different. I'm not even sure if the colors are the same and it has a colored leading edge as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wesryman View Post
              I have the original uncolorized version of that drawing hanging on my office wall along with the TG-2.......
              TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

bryan the red white & blue one is like my 1/4 scale tg-3a . there is a very nice photo of the full size in the SSA calander (1972) in the air over a mountain.

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And a beautiful sailplane model it is!

Name:	TG3A_0_Orange01.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	35074

...and the obligatory Thunderbird scheme...

Name:	TG3A_0_TBird01.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	35075

Comment

Something a little different. Inspired by MarnochS and X-Wing's of Star Wars.

Name:	TG3A_StarWars3.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	35338

Comment

• MarnochS
                    MarnochS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Bryan, that looks Uber Cool.....can’t wait to start on the TG3-X .....with forward proton torpedo launchers.........
                    Last edited by MarnochS; 04-02-2019, 12:37 AM.

I had the opportunity to watch this thing fly this past weekend........it doesn’t really matter what the color scheme is .........it just needs to have clear covering over the open framework so the sun light can shine through because it spends all its time in the air!
                  TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wasn't the TG bee-you-tee-full!

• Tom
                    Tom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes....yes it was!

• BryanB
                    BryanB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did anyone take any pictures?

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	35392Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	35393Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	35391

Pictures from this past weekend at Cumberland......
                  Attached Files
                  TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• BryanB
                    BryanB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cool pics. Thanks!

only Flying picture from Cumberland event.

Name:	40523332573_7d562817f5_k.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	35412

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	23.8 KB ID:	35418Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	35419Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	35420Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	35421Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	35422Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	35423 There might be a few more pictures from Cumberland...….
                    TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• BryanB
                      BryanB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for posting these.
                  Working...
                  X