1:3 Bohatyrew 'Motyl' of 1925

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1:3 Bohatyrew 'Motyl' of 1925

The 'Motyl' (Butterfly) was built in 1925 to the design of Michal Bohatyrew at the Fachzirkel der Machinenbauschule in Poznan, Poland. It had a 10 meter span and was 6.7 meters long. Not much is known of it and I've only seen one photo and one three view. So... if any viewers from Poland or anywhere else have more information please correspond! I'd like to know what color to make it, too. If I could find out the most common butterfly in Poland and its color that might do splendidly for this 'Motyl'! Because of the scarcity of information my job is made a lot easier! I can build the model pretty much how I want. So long as the 'spirit' of the full scale is maintained I will be happy!

The first order of business was to start drawing the plans. The fuselage outlines are done using the three view and a foil was made in like manner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3603.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	32992Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3604.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	32993

That's all for now!
    Dobranoc!

Interesting subject.
    Gunny
    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Gunny! Just think... 1925!!! It looks more like a bat than butterfly!

Another gem from Jellyworks
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Len! Since I now have a couple of good flying sailplanes it's that time to build a bad flying one! Let's hope it shines like a gem and doesn't fall like a stone... I mean... Charlotte! lol

Michael, thank you for picking such unique subjects that are so cool and mostly forgottten,. We all get a history lesson with your builds. I am all the way subscribed!!

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Dennis! I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly! I liken these early birds' flying capabilities to toddlers' learning to walk. They fly and sometimes it is scary but they still need to be flown, at least as models, so they can be remembered. Those early designers showed the way kinda like 'standing on the shoulders of giants'. I keep referring to the ol' Vampyr but if this one flies 'weird' like the Vampyr I'll still be very happy. That thing handles so terribly that it is actually fun!

Wood has been cut! The forward nose 'bows' will be 6 laminations of 1/16" hard balsa with CF tow and epoxy. The CF tow is needed to anchor the tow release. The side elevation of the fuselage plan was used to construct a 'ramp'. The nose bows get built on this ramp. The ramp is the fixture to set the up and down sweep of the bows as seen in side elevation. This pretty much has to be done (as far as I'm concerned!) because epoxy and CF tow laminates don't flex much and if these bows were built flat on the board it is difficult to tie them into the structure without undue stress. When this is done the bows will be sanded back fair to ~ 3/8" x 3/8" section. The rear portion of the fuselage longerons will be 3/8" square cross section.

Name:	IMG_3605.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	33097Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3606.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	33098

The black weights holding the sheeting down until the glue dries. Laminates to get started when I get home from work.
    Dzien dobry!

Comment

Laminations started! There haven't been any lamentations, yet!

Name:	IMG_3607.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	33115

Two layers of balsa glued together as shown in the left hand portion of the picture. Its five components are in the right hand side. They are being built on 'the Ramp' but it doesn't show. I have to do more of this so not much will be 'picture-ized' in the near future because it is assembly line, boring, stuff.
      Pozniej!

Comment

The upper and lower nose bows are done. They were pulled off the 'ramp' and cleaned up with sand paper. The upper bow and longerons were put together today. The stab support and mount was started, cross members and diagonals were added and wing mount parts were fabricated.

Name:	IMG_3610.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	33220

Pozniez ziemniac!

Comment

• Gene C
          Gene C commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good ARUP. That wouldn't be the dinning room table your working off of, by any chance?

Hi Gene! Thanks! Yes, the hollow core door work surface hides a pretty pecan wood table. I'm a bachelor! Why... there's no telling what you might find and where in my house but it is clean and I make my bed in the morning!

Forgot to post a picture of the finished bows. More CF tow added then the wing mounts were epoxied, also. Reinforcements of 1/64" ply were glued to splices. Since the upper and lower bows with longerons are needed work was started on the lower version. The lower longerons have more curvature than the upper in side view at the 'belly' area of the fuselage just under the wing. The fuselage tapers toward the rear so with that in mind it seems an easier bending task if the curvature is cut into the wood beforehand. Two curved 3/8" parts were spliced onto the bow. Longerons will get spliced onto the ends of these when the glue dries. I will be relieved when the fuselage 'box' is built and built square and true!

Name:	IMG_3608.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	33241Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3609.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	33242

Name:	IMG_3611.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	33243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	33244

Name:	IMG_3613.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	33245Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3619.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	33246

Name:	IMG_3614.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	33247Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3615.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	33248

Wiecej...

Comment

Here's the rest...

Name:	IMG_3615.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	33250Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3616.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	33251

Name:	IMG_3617.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	33252Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3618.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	33253

Jutro!

Comment

Originally posted by ARUP View Post
            The upper and lower nose bows are done. They were pulled off the 'ramp' and cleaned up with sand paper. The upper bow and longerons were put together today. The stab support and mount was started, cross members and diagonals were added and wing mount parts were fabricated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3610.JPG Views:	1 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	33220

Pozniez ziemniac!
            Are you builddddding on the kitchen table???

Looks amazing by the way. Like the way you're integrating the carbon in with the wood. Very cool.

Mike

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Mike! It needs CF because the tow planes are way too powerful for these draggy wind bags.

Originally posted by yyz View Post

Looks amazing by the way. Like the way you're integrating the carbon in with the wood. Very cool.

Mike
            He’s a single guy.....every single flat surface in his home is a building surface!😬
            TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              That's right, Tom!

Originally posted by yyz View Post

Mike

No, thats the dining room table silly!!!
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Watching the build as always Jelly, but I must ask what happened to the RRG Professor build?

Jeremy
              SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Work to be done on Professor requires warmer outdoor temps.

Witam ponownie! The lower crutch was built on top of the upper for symmetry. Marine ply is used at the end because the tail skid will need lots of support. The diagonals were reversed so they will match once the crutches are joined in their 'normal' positions. Time to block the crutches to the proper height and start adding the uprights. Sorry if this stuff is 'wordy' but for those that don't like it... too bad!

Name:	IMG_3620.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	33419Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3621.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	33420

To wszystko!

Comment

Wiecej! Big box building begun! The upper crutch was left inverted on the board and the lower crutch was blocked up over it. Bubble levels and squares were used to make sure everything stayed aligned as much as possible. A couple of verticals were let between the two crutches after the vertical ply tail parts were glued in place. More diagonals have to be fitted into the rear section and a tail post was glued in place. I hope to finish the rear part early tomorrow so the front section can get some attention.

Name:	IMG_3622.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	33440Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3623.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	33441

Name:	IMG_3624.JPG
Views:	281