No announcement yet.

1:3 Bohatyrew 'Motyl' of 1925

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Csec modelarze! Here is the other cable run. The wire TE was put in place. The aluminum tube to capture the wire was too long at the aileron end of the wing so it was re-slotted and trimmed. The wire was bent to let it anchor into the rib then the aluminum tube 'ears' were peened over the wire. Epoxy secures it. The wire stock is too short so the other end was secured in like manner. The aluminum tube's hole had to be 'stretched' to fit a second wire whose ends were secured, likewise. The wing root rib's TE got 1/64" ply pieces at its TE top and bottom surface to help hold the wire in place. When the covering goes on the wire TE will pull into a gentle scalloped shape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3820.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	35890Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3821.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	35891

Name:	IMG_3822.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	35892Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3823.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	35893

Name:	IMG_3824.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	35894Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3825.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	35895

Name:	IMG_3826.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	35896Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3827.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	35897

more...

Comment

Wiecej...To keep the root rib TE and the aileron end wing rib from bowing inwards with covering a gusset and a diagonal were glued in place. Now the shear webbing can get finished. The cap strips can get installed before finish sanding the LE and a retention bolt and nut can be fitted to keep the wing from sliding off the wing tube. Mounting blocks for the landing wires can get fitted. I can't see if there are any but flying wires will get fitted, too. The only photo of this glider I've seen is too poor to see those kinds of details. I can't imagine having landing wires, as shown in the three view, but no flying wires!

Name:	IMG_3829.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	35899Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3830.JPG
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	35900

It won't be long in covering!

Name:	IMG_3831.JPG
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	35901

Happy Easter!

Comment

• Gene C
        Gene C commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookiiing good!!!

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Gene!

Dzien dobry! It doesn't look like much but the cap strips have been put in place on the bottom of both wings. The nose portion of the cap strips have to be pre-curved by soaking each in water then using the covering iron to shape them over a coffee cup which has a pretty good radius allowing for spring back. The TE of each cap strip was grooved to fit the aluminum tube on the TE of each rib that has them. Also, a 'hard point' was placed at the root of each wing. The hard point is attached to the spar and constructed as a sort of box. I am pointing at it in the second photo. This hard point is a 'landing' for the palm of each hand when carrying the glider. I learned my lesson with the Franklin Eaglet since it has no such 'landing' and is somewhat tricky to carry without damaging it's wing ribs.

Name:	IMG_3832.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	35998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3833.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	35999

Now to finish the cap strips on the upper surfaces! Do widzenia!

Comment

Czesc piloci! The cap strips and all done and their TEs sanded. All shear webbing in place. When the glue dries the LE will get finish sanded to fair into the cap strips better. The cap strips were pre-curved before installing by soaking them in water then using a covering iron to 'steam' them to shape over a coffee cup. The rigging cables anchors will get fabricated and installed next.

Name:	IMG_3834.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	36036Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3835.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	36037

Wiecej w przysztosci!

Comment

I'll get pics up, soon, for the flying and landing cable attach hardpoints have been installed. Covering of the wings starts in a few days!

Anybody have an idea what color this thing might have been? The only photo shows it was 'white'(?) and definitely not black or deep yellow which would look black with those old orthochrome films. I'm thinking white, light yellow, pale blue or light cream??? Anybody have any thoughts? The letters spelling 'Motyl' were dark like black, blue, red etc.

Comment

Zdecia zgodnie z obietnica! Bones and feathers!

Name:	IMG_3839.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	36261Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3840.JPG
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	36262

Name:	IMG_3842.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	36263Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3843.JPG
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	36264

The last two pictures are a stereo pair for those of you who can 'free fuse' the images together!

Comment

Wiecej... All cable mount hard points installed (first picture is representative). Wing retention is aided by 6-32 bolts and 'T' nuts. Bolts accessed inside the cockpit. Aileron horns epoxied in place. All that is left is to run the aileron cables, do some light finish sanding then covering of wings will commence! The fuselage will get fitted for cable hard points, skids and their mounting, cabane/pylon behind cockpit, tow release, elevator and rudder servo mounts,etc., sheeting then covering.

Name:	IMG_3841.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	36266Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3844.JPG
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	36267

Name:	IMG_3845.JPG
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	36268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3846.JPG
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	36269

Sorry the last picture is a little 'busy' looking but it is just the aileron propped up inside the cockpit opening while epoxy cures.
              Do widzenia!

Comment

Szczesliwego dnia Matki! The tow release pin, hoop and guide were mounted onto 1/4" ply and a grooved block. The pin had one end heated cherry red, flattened then drilled for a link from the servo to be added, later. While the torch was handy the stabilizing struts were fabricated in like manner by heating the ends, beating them flat and drilling and tapping them to receive 4-40 bolts. The anchors for one end of the struts were already in the wings but the fuselage anchors had to be fabricated. All metal parts were painted semi-gloss black. Guide tubes added to rear of pulleys. Ya don't want the cables to jump when the ailerons are removed from the wings for transport!

Name:	IMG_3847.JPG
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	36490Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3848.JPG
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	36491

Name:	IMG_3849.JPG
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	36492Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3850.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	36493

Name:	IMG_3855.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	36494

more...

Comment

The wings will get held onto the wing rod via 6-32 bolts and 'T' nuts. There isn't much stress there. The tow release plate was set up so that it formed part of the receptacle for nose weight. Lead shot was mixed with epoxy and added to the nose. I'm sure it will need more! The servos were mounted and links fit. The covering was started beginning at the tips. Masking tape was used to guide the X-acto knife and protect covering already in place. A 'special' bit of cloth was cut to fit the rib bay next to the aileron. The rest of the wing will get done with one piece of fabric.

Name:	IMG_3851.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	36500Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3852.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	36501

Name:	IMG_3853.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	36502Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3854.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	36503

Name:	IMG_3857.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	36496Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3858.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	36497

Name:	IMG_3859.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	36498Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3860.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	36499

more...

Comment

Covering continued... The cable ends are great at grabbing fabric threads so a bit of tubing acts as a 'needle' to help the cable through the slit in the fabric.

Name:	IMG_3862.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	36505Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3863.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	36506

Name:	IMG_3864.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	36509Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3865.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	36508

Above is the 'special' bit of fabric to fit around the rib bay next to the aileron. It looks like the plan form for the BKB-1 flying wing! That's a future project!!!
                    Dobranoc!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Gene C
                      Gene C commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome! have you decided on a finish yet?

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, Gene! No color scheme decided upon just yet. I'm leaning toward a pale yellow or a pale blue with the 'Motyl' letters in black. Those seem like good 'butterfly' colors! lol

Csec modelarze! The wings are covered! I bought a large lot of 'uncertified' fabric from Aircraft Spruce but it is too heavy for this project. Sig's Koverall is lighter. The piece of fabric put next to the aileron is the 'uncertified' fabric and it was difficult to work relative to Koverall. I'm not happy with what is on the wing at that location but I'm not gonna take it off and do it again... no sir! Give me Koverall!!!!! If anybody wants a pretty good quantity of this stuff for free then just PM me and we can arrange for delivery. The ailerons are next then the fuselage can get more attention.

Name:	IMG_3866.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	36557Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3867.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	36558

Name:	IMG_3868.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	36559

I thought using the blue masking tape would be a good idea since it has lower tack and is easier to see for guiding the X-acto blade. The down side of it is that the Stix-It adhesive 'dissolved' the color which got into the fabric and caused the tape to de-laminate. No more blue masking tape as a guide... stick to the regular stuff! I was having a bit of small set backs so when this stuff was cleaned up I pulled the Motyl off the bench so the Professor can get attention. The second pic shows how the 'uncertified' fabric next to the aileron bay is different than the Koverall elsewhere. The last pic is a 'peek-a-boo' shot of the pulleys and cables through the fabric.

Comment

Working...
                    X