• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good Mike!

Steve K
    Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Dzien dobry! Thanks Steve! It's going to be a big dopey model but should be fun! Tail skid mounting done! The mount block epoxied inside the fuselage is spruce and the marine ply exterior guide block was installed early during the crutch build. A paper pattern was used to check the angle of the skid as it exits the fuselage. The skid is 1/8" piano wire and will get painted and installed after covering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3627.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	33453Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3628.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	33454

Name:	IMG_3629.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	33455

Do jutra...

Comment

To znowu ja! Uprights and part of the landing gear mount reinforcements in the form of lite ply and CF tow has been added. When the epoxy cures more ply will be added to continue around and to the nose. It's sure is hard to photograph these big birds to make sense of what is going with the build so just look at previous photos to compare.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3630.JPG Views:	1 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	33459Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3631.JPG Views:	1 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	33460

Dobranoc!

Comment

Witamy! Almost finished getting uprights around the nose! To try and keep everything aligned formers are getting built into the fuselage in the front section.

Name:	IMG_3632.JPG
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	33525Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3633.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	33526

To wszystko!

Comment

At some point you have to run out of ways to amaze us. Another cool project..Thank you mike.

PS.
            Love Pineapple too
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for your support, Len! Yeah... my house has a little bit of a pineapple and acorn theme in it!

The nose bows got sanded on the inside to fit some plywood. Sandpaper was wrapped around a cardboard tube for this process. The sheet of ply was slipped inside then marked to get cut. More CF tow was laid down with epoxy and the ply was put back in place and clamped until the epoxy cures. Making sure the CF tow gets saturated with epoxy sure is a messy business.

Name:	IMG_3634.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	33564Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	33565

Name:	IMG_3636.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	33566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3637.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	33567

Name:	IMG_3638.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	33568Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3640.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	33569

I noticed the tail post isn't square so that will have to be 'fixed'. Do widzenia!

Comment

To znowa ja! No pictures but the wing rod has getting a fiberglass glass tube curing around it as I type. Fiberglass and finishing resin... what a messy proposition! Yuck! The basic fuselage box is completed! Whoopee!!! Some gussets are still being added to keep the sticks from getting loose. Some of the sticks are drilled to accept toothpicks with glue. That'll really lock the sticks together! Now, the wing construction can begin. Once the spar location is known exactly then the wing tube can be put in the fuselage with appropriate bracing. Then the landing skids mounts can get fabricated and tied into the wing tube supports. Then the tail feathers... then.... lol. The wing looks to have a Go 190 foil so I'm going to smooth it over toward an HQ 3.5 using the TLAR method... just like I'm doing for everything else on this model!

Name:	IMG_3644.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	33608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3645.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	33609

I want to finish this one pretty quick so I can start on my 'Secret Project' for the Horizon Hobby Aerotow!
              Dobranoc!

Comment

Your craftsmanship and attention to detail is simply amazing but even more impressive is that you actually fly these works of art! I hope to see one of these masterpieces in person one day soon.

Mike

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Mike! Thanks for commenting because I really appreciate it!!! Do you live on the west of the Great Divide? I'd like to 'go west' and fly sometime in the near future.

I’m diggin this thing, inspirational stuff. Definitely “goober status”...

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  'The Goober Stamp of Approval'... rock on! Thanks PG! I like 'Raisinettes' and 'Snow Caps' candy, too! lol

Czesc!
                Len... here's some pineapple stuff for ya! The wing tube was made from ~3 layers 4 oz. cloth all in one wrap. The 48" long CF tube joiner rod was coated with Kentucky Jelly... I mean... vaseline then enough waxed paper was rolled onto it to give ~ 2 layers. 1 oz. of finishing resin was applied to the glass cloth which was on waxed paper. The rod was placed on the edge of the glass and resin then rolled. This pushed excess resin along to wet the cloth that wasn't. Messy business... yuck! Waxed paper was then rolled onto this and it was taped tight with masking tape and allowed to cure overnight. It was a simple matter to heat the assembly with hot air gun which loosened the waxed paper so the rod could be pulled out. Then the waxed paper was worked out using a scrap balsa stick. The ~42" wing tube to rod fit is pretty good and I'd guess less than 5 thou. slop. Now the board has been cleared to draw the wing! I love this stuff!

Name:	IMG_3642.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	33634Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3643.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	33635

Name:	IMG_3646.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	33636Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3647.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	33637

Name:	IMG_3648.JPG
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	33638

Kolejny dzien!

Comment

Witamy! The wing plans were drawn. An order for spruce cap strip material from Aircraft Spruce will serve as the spars. I need wider stock to fit the 20 mm wing tube. So... since I'll have to wait for the spars to arrive the stab and elevator plans were drawn. Some 1/4 scale Hansa Brandenberg KD 'Startstrutter' blue foam forms were re-purposed. One for the KD rudder fits the outer elevator curve and the KD fin form fits the inner elevator curve. The seven 1/16" laminations are cut double width so that after gluing they can be cut lengthwise to have mirror image parts. The stab LE form is custom cut and the five 3/32" laminations are slightly more than 3/8" wide. The extra width allows for sanding them fair. The balsa laminates were soaked in hot water then clamped to the forms to dry. They will be taken off the forms for gluing, later. Don't use ammonia for it destroys the lignin in the wood unless you don't care if the wood is weakened such as might be needed for non-structural details. The pictures show the forms with the wood clamped. The form are laid over their respective places on the plan.

Name:	IMG_3649.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	33671Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3650.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	33672

Name:	IMG_3651.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	33673

Kolejny dzien!

Comment

Dzien zabawy!
                    The glue has dried so the 'double width' elevator parts were sawn in half lengthwise. You can see how wide one elevator laminate is compared to the LE laminate, which doesn't get cut.

Name:	IMG_3653.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	33812Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3654.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	33813

Name:	IMG_3655.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	33814

The elevators are almost done! Hinging and the control horn follow!
                    Do widzenia!

Comment

Czekanie... waiting for the glue to dry! Reinforcements of 1/64" ply glued inside elevators at scarf joints. Measurements taken off fuselage mounting plates and transferred to stabilizer. Dowel rod 3/8" diameter will serve as hard points to mount the stab and 1/4" will serve for mounting the fin-stab-fuse cables. These will get drilled for bolts, later. When the glue has dried the structure will get sanded flat and fair. The TE of stab and LE of elevators are pinned together. Once structure sanded flat then it gets taken off board to sand the perimeter. The fin and rudder get built next!

Name:	IMG_3656.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	33866Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3659.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	33867

Name:	IMG_3657.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	33868Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3658.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	33869

Name:	IMG_3660.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	33870

Do zobaczenia pozniej!

Comment

• Gene C
                        Gene C commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looking good. Love the construction.

• gunny11
                        gunny11 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, +1 on the construction!

• ARUP
                        ARUP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, fellas! These things get a little 'piece-y' at times.

Mike,

You are a glutton for punishment. This should be a fun sailplane, or glider ?
                      Hope to see it fly this summer.
                      Keep up the good work.

Porter

Comment

• ARUP
                        ARUP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Waddaya say, Porter! I may end up with a 'keeper' like the goofy Vampyr! Be sure to make Horizon! What new bird do you have in the works?

The Vampyr is repaired after its last 'outing' and resting in its coffin storage box and the Eaglet fuselage is repaired after its hard landing at Clover Creek last year. It just needs right wing strut attachments repaired but that can't happen until I get some new Texaco stickers for the wing so that the 'approach' to repair can be figured out. Back to the Motyl! The stabilizer and elevators were sanded flat then the elevators were unpinned from the stab then pinned together and sanded for symmetry. They need their edges rounded.

Name:	IMG_3661.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	34061Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3662.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	34062

Dobranoc!

Comment

Working...