No announcement yet.

H9 ASH 31 build, notes and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about the retract issues. I have not had any on the three samples, other than one time where I landed off field and cycled the gear switch while the model was on the ground. This damaged a gearbox and required me to replace the motor.
    I hope our product support team can get you what you need in order to fly your ASH?
    Regards Ali

Comment

Ali and Stéphane, did both of your prototype models have the full 20mm "up" for the flaperon function? One of my wings was really stiff and stopped at about 10mm up so I lightly sanded the upper trailing edge and have about 15mm of bind free "up" now. Is 15mm going to be plenty for occasional mild aerobatics and standard flying or should I keep going to get the full 20mm like the ailerons? I'm going straight sailplane. Not Hotliner... I don't want it to be too sluggish in the roll.

Bryan B

Comment

I made another location for a 5000 mah flight pack.

Comment

Here's another try at uploading the elevator linkage pictures.
          Rick Shelby
          Team Horizon

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
            Ali and Stéphane, did both of your prototype models have the full 20mm "up" for the flaperon function? One of my wings was really stiff and stopped at about 10mm up so I lightly sanded the upper trailing edge and have about 15mm of bind free "up" now. Is 15mm going to be plenty for occasional mild aerobatics and standard flying or should I keep going to get the full 20mm like the ailerons? I'm going straight sailplane. Not Hotliner... I don't want it to be too sluggish in the roll.

Bryan B
            Hi Bryan. It is fully aerobatic with just the outer ailerons. More roll rate than a ASW20. So even with only 10mm up on the flap. Your roll rate will be plenty. Unless your planning some really aggressive rolling maneuvers?
            Regards Ali

Comment

• BryanB
              BryanB commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool. Thanks. Will call it good then.
              BB

I just finished my flap servo set up. The instructions on page 8 say to angle the control horn slightly toward the trailing edge of the wing. I believe that this should be angled slightly toward the leading edge of the wing. If I am wrong someone please let me know.
            Thanks

Comment

• BryanB
              BryanB commented
              Editing a comment
              I angled mine one spline toward the leading edge as well.

• Mark9
              Mark9 commented
              Editing a comment
              One spline angled towards the LE on a bottom mount bottom drive servo/linkage will give a slight amount of down surface mechanical differential. We do it to the extreme when setting up flaps for landing control on our TD competition ships. On those we strive to get as close to 90 degrees down as possible! Look forward to seeing your ASH in April Bryan.

Started mine with the fuse, chopping the nose, great idea of a chap on the other forum using a caliper to trace the cutting area and proofing the spinner diameter before cutting it just about right, not too much sanding and a perfect shape well centered

first caliper and assumed lemgth

Sans titre by steffruelle, sur Flickr

verifying diameter of the spinner

A bit of extra triming

Et voila

Stéphane
            Stéphane
            Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

For anyone using the Spektrum 7050 servos if you use the available 24 inch locking cable (SPMSP3025) then you don't need a servo extension. The cable is also available in an insulated version (SPMSP3028).
              Rick Shelby
              Team Horizon

Comment

Nice work Stephane!!
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I learned something new today. If you install a Spektrum AS3000 stabilization module in your ASH31 without updating the firmware on your powersafe receiver like Spektrum tells you to, the factory retract system won't work properly and the spoilers won't either. The spoilers will act like they are nervous. Ask me how I know this.

Comment

• BryanB
                    BryanB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ed, I had a devil of time getting my first AS3000 to work in my ASW20 last year. I just wanted telemetry but you have to go through the entire initialization process and zero out all the gyro stuff then you are left with just the telemetry.

• Ed DeRossi
                    Ed DeRossi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bryan, everything works perfect after the update

I decided to use recessed DB-9 plugs in the wings to make it easy for me to connect wings

here are couple of pictures of the grinding

hole is enlarged

A bit of carving, some wood is added for the screws

A bit of soldering and crimping

Et voila!

Stéphane
                  Stéphane
                  Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

I went with Len's suggestion on using latching plugs (1x9) from Hansen Hobbies. I didn't feel like soldering and it's now just one plug. Just the usual crimping and off you go. Quick and easy. A little extra wire you have to stuff in the wing but very simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WingLatchingPlug.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	33075

Comment

• Mark9
                      Mark9 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would have needed their 1 x 12 to do the same on my Ventus. Just went with two MPX 6 pin connectors instead.

• Steve P
                      Steve P commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice! They make life easy and secure. BTW, for a 4-servo wing in the future, two of the 1x6 is a nice solution as well. The soaring gods help those who crimp for themselves. ;-)

Whenever I get to mine I'm going to be really lazy and use these EDR-102 One Click Connectors from wwwelectrodynam.com. Anywhere from 2 to 5 servos can be ganged separately onto one set of connectors. I got rid of my crimping stuff... too much work! I told you I was lazy!

The image is from their website.

Click image for larger version  Name:	102_OneClik_MC_web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.4 KB ID:	33079

Comment

• Steve P
                      Steve P commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don’t you still have to make/buy extensions between all the wing servos and that doohickey— which is the same connector as the Hansen? I’m corn fused?

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is correct, Steve! I just buy longer leads to got between these connectors and the servos. If I feel more ambitious then I will cut one of those 3" ones and solder needed length of wire between the ends. The main thing is to not to have to fiddle with those crimp thingies!

[QUOTE=ARUP;n33078]Whenever I get to mine I'm going to be really lazy and use these EDR-102 One Click Connectors from wwwelectrodynam.com. Anywhere from 2 to 5 servos can be ganged separately onto one set of connectors. I got rid of my crimping stuff... too much work! I told you I was lazy!

You're the same guy that draws his own plans from a book and then scratch builds the plane, right?

Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• BryanB
                      BryanB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL! But apparently wiring gives him the jitters,

• Mark9
                      Mark9 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I consider the wiring to be a Zen thing...

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bryan and Mark- fiddling with those things makes me see 'zwitters'! LOL

Originally posted by French1 View Post
                    I decided to use recessed DB-9 plugs in the wings to make it easy for me to connect wings

here are couple of pictures of the grinding

hole is enlarged

A bit of carving, some wood is added for the screws

A bit of soldering and crimping

Et voila!

Stéphane
                    I guess you are not hard mounting the female side in the fuselage, as the bulkhead is a little to close! I was going to use them on Labords ASH but there is no room to mount the female side on springs so they can flex!

Jeremy
                    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Working...
                    X