H9 ASH 31 build, notes and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtnbiker63 View Post
    Here is my solution for the trailing edge wing bolts. I need to shorten the bolt to around 35mm and find a bolt with a flat head so I can hand tighten them. But I was able to attach this one and spin it using both hands.
    Did you try to put that bolt in once the joiner is installed? I can get my hand sort of back there without the joiner.....once the joiner is installed then there’s no way my hand is getting back there.......I’ve yet to try with the gear down but it looks like it’s only going to be the front retainer for me.
    TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Quick heads up..

There is no need to use an attachment on the rear bolt to retain the inner wing panels. For some reason. The factory decided to change the set up between final production samples and first batch production. They replaced the rear alignment pin with the same threaded metal as the front.
      None of the three sample aircraft that we have flown during testing have a nut on the rear. Only the front. In fact. The very first one flew its first 100 or so flights with no bolt and only taped on panels.
      Regards Ali

Comment

Finished the outer wing panels and on to the inners.

One thing that always causes me concerns is when you hear the wires in a wing flapping around in a wing especially when they are 2m long.

I started gluing my wires in, with blobs of shoe goo, but quickly realised that was a bad thing if you ever needed to do repairs.

So for my last few planes I’ve started using straws glued in with the wires up the middle. Now using 12mm, ½”, paper bubble tea straws.
        The dolphins don’t choke on the paper straws if they end up in the ocean or so I’m told.

Took the spoilers out, 3 small screws, allowed me to easily insert the straws further up the wing and feed the wing back through.

Comment

So my rudder servo problem resolved. New servo and triple checked that there was no drag on the pushrod or clevis.

New issue: LANDING GEAR - quick note was working great and I didn't change anything. Now will not retract. Moves a tiny bit then get the gear grinding noise. Can't see it hanging up anywhere. Will retract when given a little push up. At the end of the retract, a two second gear grinding noise continues. I've set the travel in that direct to the shortest possible number and still have the gear retract.

Whole retract system out of the fuselage and will need to get replaced. Anyone else having issues?

Comment

Same thing for me exactly. I am going to change mine over to be servo actuated

Comment

So my rudder servo problem resolved. New servo and triple checked that there was no drag on the pushrod or clevis.

New issue: LANDING GEAR - quick note was working great and I didn't change anything. Now will not retract. Moves a tiny bit then get the gear grinding noise. Can't see it hanging up anywhere. Will retract when given a little push up. At the end of the retract, a two second gear grinding noise continues. I've set the travel in that direct to the shortest possible number and still have the gear retract.

Whole retract system out of the fuselage and will need to get replaced. Anyone else having issues?
              The retract can easily be changed over to a servo driven unit. At one of the events this season a prototype retract unit we were testing gave us some issues so we pulled the unit out and put a servo on the side of the frame, then we fabricated an arm which we tapped and screwed to the large gear.. Worked like a charm. I understood they were going to provide this as an option?

Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Stone View Post
                  Finished the outer wing panels and on to the inners.

One thing that always causes me concerns is when you hear the wires in a wing flapping around in a wing especially when they are 2m long.
                  Or you could use plastic loom and encase the wires into a “true” harness.....
                  TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• Mark Stone
                    Mark Stone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They still flop around unless you fix the the harness to something. I will use the mesh on the wires from the were they come out of the conduit to the receiver.

• Tom
                    Tom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes they do.....but nowhere as much as they flop around without the loom.....

So what are people doing to make the removal of the horizontal stab easier. The manual shows removal via the servo arm that is not a good solution in my opinion.

Thinking of using the Sulivan releasable ball links.

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a great idea! I keep forgetting about those little jewels. If you find they fit then that's what I'll do.

Lenb and Ed, the landing gear should not need to be jerry rigged to work. Especially on a plane that cost $2,700. If Hanger 9 wants to come up with a solution and ship it out, then fine.

Comment

I don't believe that I jerry rigged anything. I only changed something that I felt needed to be changed. Very minor as far as I'm concerned but that is only my opinion. I am very happy with this aircraft. I should be ready to fly tomorrow.

Comment

Lenb and Ed, the landing gear should not need to be jerry rigged to work. Especially on a plane that cost $2,700. If Hanger 9 wants to come up with a solution and ship it out, then fine.
                      In your world it may be jerry rigging, in my world its called modeling. however I agree if we pay for a part it should work, regardless of the price. Truth is, crap happens, we deal with it, which is exactly what we do as modelers while others sit and complain about things until their fingers are sore. Horizons ASH 31 is by far the least expensive all molded, 6 meter airplane on the market, but I would still like to see the electric gear replaced with a servo driven gear. I'm sure it was decided to go electric for those that can't seem to figure out how to make one servo driven.

Michael and Mark,

I love the Sullivan releasable ball links, a work of caution though is only use the metal ones. Early on we lost a Porter because the plastic version broke when a tow line snagged the elevator, I believe it would have survived if it was a metal one. Ive used them for years now on the electors of all the tow planes, Smellyak, Bidule, etc.... Only issue with the sailplane is making room for it in the fin area...
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks, Len! It's too bad about the Porter.

Comment

Here's how I set the elevator linkage. I use a 2-56 pushrod that has threads on one end and a plain rod on the other. I use a normal clevis at the servo arm and simply bend the control horn end 90 degrees. As you can see in the pictures it is impossible for the bend to fall out of the control horn once the stab is mounted. I used this method on my Antares for years without failure and without it ever developing slop.

​
                          ​
                          Rick Shelby
                          Team Horizon

Comment

LenB and Ed, sorry to come across as an ass. I shouldn't upload a message while frustrated about things not even associated with this hobby.

I agree about modifying things. I do it to all my planes to make them my own.

Comment

• lenb
                              lenb commented
                              Editing a comment
                              No worries, its all good. As you know, these forums are for sharing success, ideas and solutions to problems. The other forums are for all the other stuff. We're glad you're here with us.
                          Working...
                          X