Axel pilot dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel pilot dilemma

Focusing on getting the LET JS-1 ready to fly, and was doing some Axel test-fitting today. He doesn't fit well. The somewhat shallow pan design, coupled with a tight fit in the lower leg area with the canopy closed (the instrument panel is integral with the canopy) and lack of seat depth means you can't close the canopy. You also can't see anything pretty much beyond the pilot's knees with the canopy closed. So here's the dilemma: I can probably fix all this by removing Axel's lower legs and also maybe give him a rectalectomy to flatten his posterior a bit. But I'm hesitant to cut him up, as it will take his value to about zero. Any experience with a similar scenario?

Tom
    Tom

Some folks will relieve the bottom of the seat pan to let the butt and thighs extend below — that is if there is room below that does not interfere with the radio install.

I’m a cutter. If legs or rears have to go, I remove them carefully so they can be reapplied.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Relieving the pan is not an option in this case. Will have to explore surgery, and that's a good idea to carefully do so for potential reassembly later on.
      Tom

Comment

Tom,

I used a 1:3.5 scale pilot in my Let Ventus. Fits very nicely with no modifications and he doesn't look small. Just an idea.

Comment

Some of us used to have the same problem with the 1:1 scale sailplanes way back when. Just sayin.

Comment

I pull his shirt up and his pants way down and bandsaw about an inch off his rear end, and after that’s done pull his pant legs up and cut off his feet about mid calf. And NEVER tell Axel we do this, he wouldn’t approve. Reattachemnt of the severed parts is simple with 5 minute Epoxy.

Comment

• Steve P
              Steve P commented
              Editing a comment
              I use one of those snap-off razor knives -- use a new one, extend the blade all the way out so all the segments are exposed and then carve off his butt like a Thanksgiving turkey. No crumbs of foam or dust. To reattach, contact cement or RC56 also works nicely as it soaks a bit into the foam, but remains quite flexible when dry. YMMV

Originally posted by DennisB View Post
            I pull his shirt up and his pants way down and bandsaw about an inch off his rear end, and after that’s done pull his pant legs up and cut off his feet about mid calf.
            Sounds like my last doctors appointment...

Comment

Originally posted by Stew2 View Post
              I used a 1:3.5 scale pilot in my Let Ventus. Fits very nicely with no modifications and he doesn't look small. Just an idea.
              Now that is good idea.

Tom
              Tom

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot Profile.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	32209

Here is a profile of a 1:3.5 scale Axel pilot in my Let Ventus for sizing evaluation.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Soaranator View Post

Sounds like my last doctors appointment...
                  HaHa, Bill, age has taken care of trimming my butt for me....

Comment

Working...
                  X