Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SZD- 48 Jantar Standard 2 scratch build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and here's that Enterprise. First one is for size reference. The guy in the middle is Adam Nimoy and mary on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNeill View Post
      . Cockpit edges need lots of straightening.
      I left my canopy attached to the fuse.....once shaped/sanded/glassed....I then cut it out......that way I know it fits perfectly.
      TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

I thought of that. I will get it to fit but my vacuum form machine isn't quite big enough I'll have to take the buck to a service and get two pulled.

Comment

I was stuck doing visual effects for a feature film all day but in the last hour of the day I slipped in a bit more. Only a few more pieces to cut for the first half. I'm going to try to get both sides cut this week. The table I'm working on is 8 ft x 4 ft.

Comment

A bit more. Can't wait to start contouring and pointing up. I'm getting Epoxy and glass this week.

Comment

• JimD
              JimD commented
              Editing a comment
              ...and I am getting more popcorn! 🍿🍿🍿👍

Well Jim it's a lumpy eye sore right now but I'll turn it into something beautiful soon. It is symmetrical and straight so a little sanding will go a long way.

I'm planning a layer of 4 oz. soft drape cloth from CST on the outside and inside. When I was making my EDF jet kits they were just 2 layers of 4oz, with fiberglass tape t the bulkhead locations and they were extremely light and surprisingly strong. But they were also a lot smaller.

I do have the foam as additional strength and structure I'm just hoping the boom will be strong enough. Maybe I should do 2 layers of 4 oz, on the outside. I'll find out soon because if it isn't strong enough with one layer it will with two.

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              Put a CF 'sock' around the boom.

I just realized and caught the fact that the plans I have are for a Jantar 38 standard 1. This explains the wing filets being lower on the fuse.

Comment

Ahhh,
              Thought so..

Just kidding.
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

LOL! Got you!

Comment

I got to do a little sanding and pointing up today. It's starting to look like something.

Comment

It occurs to me I'm going to need at least a 1 inch square carbon fiber spar. My span will be nearly 16 foot. Since I have never built a wing that large I need help with where to find such spar material. I would imagine it should be pretty thick walled. Any help here with the new guy would be appreciated.

Comment

I would say Stephane is an outstanding resource in scratch building airframes of this size and flavor. Check out his Ventus 3 build thread for a stressed skin design:

After a sudden encounter with a tall tree two years ago, my 4.5m Discus went wingless.... Fuse is intact, so time for a winter project : 1/3.3 Ventus 3 Just

He has other builds around that are more heavily dependent upon a spar, but all will be fantastic references. PM him as well, he is more than happy to help anyone who wants to build up a glass ship from scratch.

Comment

Thanks so much Stew!

Comment

Just a test to load from my photobucket account.

Comment

Pretty sleek, very nice!
                            Gunny
                            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Working...
                            X