No announcement yet.

Small scale gliders. Do they offend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, My Christmas vacation has officially started and I plan on doing as much building as I can in the next three weeks. I would love to finish the LF-109 and start something bigger. Maybe I will start the Grunau Baby kit I bought from Germany last year. But that will be another story after I finish the LF-109 Pionyr.
    If it can't be done right, don't bother doing it at all.

Comment

Start something. Pick one and go and post a building thread...please. Grunau Baby would be my pick.

Comment

I do understand the big is better point, and love flying 4 and 6 meter airframes. However, out local flying site is a public park with many restrictions about what would be safe to fly. We also can only tow with electric tugs which realistically adds a weight restriction in the 3 to 4 lb area.

So I have been looking for a scale model that would fit in the under 3 meter, under 4 pound, size that also flys fairly well. I am going to give the BLL Models LF-105 a try as a winter build.

Sure put something up and let’s support these entry level airframes.

Comment

• Csessa
          Csessa commented
          Editing a comment
          Well i meant a LF-109 and it is the one out of Czech Republic.

Same here in Ventura and LA valley California. Restrictions restrictions. At our field in LA they are enforcing the 400 ft. altitude law.

Visalia is a 3 hour drive for me. That's the only place I can fly 4-6 meter. Local glider field doesn't allow EP sailplanes so it's the wench or nothing. DLG is OK. Slope is about it, all long drives. I just go to the beach down the street for stick time with the 2mm Raiden. I also got one of those EP AWS 28's. Not bad for the money and cheap fun.

But I am planning to build something from a wooden kit in the 3m range. Vintage. Fabric covering. And suggestions?

Comment

• Swiss1
          Swiss1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd love so see a picture of your Wench! Just kidding.

I am trying to get my hands on a 1/6 scale short kit of the LF-109 out of the Czech republic. It is based on the "Modelar" magazine plan. http://eshop.rcrevue.cz/planky-model...onyr-068s.html I have this plan and just would like to get the short kit but the guy is hesitant to ship out of the Czech republic.

Comment

GunnyK, the PIONÝR would be a nice sailplane! I think I have plans for one somewhere in my stash. I like smaller birds, myself. It is a whole lot easier to deal with them logistically!

Comment

That is exactly my thought. Since I am not out to WOW anyone but like to build just for the sake of building (hence the little 1/12 models) I really think the 1/6 scale models will fly just fine. At 88.4" (2245mm it is an ideal size for me. I have way too many other hobbies to have to worry about how to haul a huge model to the field. The bigger the model the greater the added expenses.

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              I think most fliers here just like the larger models because of the performance aspect. The BIG models do fly better. If I had the space I'd build more bigger models as well as the smaller ones. I like having a bunch of models in the same scale, too! I currently have a 1/6 Sopwith 'Pup' framed up and almost ready to cover. It will look neat next to a Morane Saulnier A-1 and Ansaldo 'Ballila' which are in the same scale. I want to finish a Sopwith Tripehound, too.

I believe that Balsa USA has some 1/6 scale WWI kits. I build exclusively 1/12 and 1/6 models. At one time I also did 1/16 for display but I stopped that and switched to the 1/12. I did the 1/16 because the 3/4" scale used to be a model standard both by Cleveland and Guillow's.

Comment

I still build free flight models. I just like things that fly at any size.

Comment

Originally posted by GunnyK. View Post
                That is exactly my thought. Since I am not out to WOW anyone but like to build just for the sake of building (hence the little 1/12 models) I really think the 1/6 scale models will fly just fine. At 88.4" (2245mm it is an ideal size for me. I have way too many other hobbies to have to worry about how to haul a huge model to the field. The bigger the model the greater the added expenses.

Looking forward to seeing what you build, this hobby is filled with all different size and variety of models, so whatever works for you is the perfect size. One of the many lessons learned along this wonderful journey of Aerotowning has been bigger just flies better.
                Its not that anyone is out to 'Wow" anyone, as you say, its more a function of the larger the model, the more stable it is in flight, the easier it is to see at altitude, the more scale detail you can build into the plane without affecting the flight characteristics and most of all, you are able to fly your model on days when all the smaller planes are sitting in the back of your mini van.

So I think your mistaken with your theory of wowing the crowd, although that certainly is a byproduct. The desire for larger scale models in the hobby is growing every day as well as the desire to just to build a model.
                As you know, much of the decision on what size to build a model is based on transportation, the ability to handle the plane and if you can afford it.

This is one site where size doesn't matter.

Merry Christmas

Len
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I agree 100% with what Len said, plus they are much easier to work on... You can get both hands in the airplane to secure, glue or whatever.
                  Gunny
                  Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

When I can't fly due to atmospherics, I just keep myself busy with all of my other hobbies. My only dilemma on nice days would be weather I want to go flying or shooting. Flying is definitely much less expensive. I go through about 100-150 rounds when I go shooting, ranging between $1-$1.75/round. It can add up quick. Since I don't shoot any of these 5.56 plastic pop guns. (pistols are not my thing as a former USMC sniper). Or do I put my money and time into my barn full of vintage motorcycles. Or do I build another custom rifle. But, it's just another hobby.

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sniper... I guess the Grim Reaper needs help every now and then! Isn't that the saying? lol I built an old school hard tail chopper with suicide shifter and only a rear brake. It was fun (danger, Will Robinson) but I got tired of cars pulling in front of me. I had to take a ditch between a sign and fence once and didn't hit the floor but the second event of a car pulling in front causing me to 'yellow line' between it and oncoming cars was the deciding factor to get rid of it! Good thing it had 'ape hangars' or I probably would've clipped one car or another!

I have a flintlock and another I'm building, some pistols, a really really nice WWII vintage rifle, nice lever and shot guns and other odds and ends to occupy my time. I like the 'smoke shooters' the most-est! My rifled 45 is a straight shooter! Maybe Heaven is a place where you get to meet the likes of Sam Kenton, Davey Crockett and Dan'l Boone!

On days I really want to give my brain a rest I build plastic models. But than I get sidetracked and wrack my brain with research for historical and scale accuracy of shape color and markings. There went the idea of giving my brain a rest.

Comment

OK, I made the final decision on what I am going to build next. It will be a PB-3 Praha. I will start a new thread for it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X