Glider power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glider power

I think I have entered into the 21st century relative to battery power on my Pegasus, but need to do the same on gliders I'm currently working on. I have a small 3.7meter Swift S-1 (9 servo) and a 8.8 meter Nimbus (17 servo) that both need some decisions relative to flight battery power. I'm thinking something like a 4000mah 2S LiFePO4 battery and a regulator would make a modern power system for the Swift and maybe a similar but dual system for the Nimbus? Thoughts/recommendations?

Larry, pretty much all my sailplanes carry dual packs. Since I've been going HV recently I've been using 2cell lipo's @5000 mah
    I've also used lithium ions @5200mah
    Since you need weight in the nose anyway, you might as well use electrons
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len, Thanks for the response. I am not using HV servos (yet), but take your response/advice to heart.
      Thanks for sharing.
      Larry Fitch

Comment

A123's are a nice bet and unless you have 4.8 volt only servos you don't need a regulator.

Comment

Mr. Griffith, thanks for the comment. I think I will be using LiFePO4 packs, because of the voltage concerns of other chemistries.
          Thanks,
          Larry

Comment

Keep in mind one thing, and its not as important here as other types with higher power demands, but true A123 systems cells are made with a patented nanotechnology, they charge faster, can handle much high discharge levels (that easily exceed that of our wiring really) and they last longer than generic LiFe packs. WrongwayRC and TailDraggerRC both use genuine A123 cells in their packs, as do others.

Thats not to say LiFe batteries are bad, just that real A123's are better.

Comment

Mr. Griffith, Thanks for the info. I quickly went to the Tail Dragger web site to see what they have. Not sure I'm willing to pay $95.00 for a 5000mah pack, but will keep it in mind as I make up my mind. Thanks Again,
              Larry

Comment

Larry,
                The Powerbox units I'm using are the PowerBox Royal. They are the top of the line units which were recently replaced with the new SRS system ( Has a receiver built into it )

The Royal will distribute power to something like 24 servos with 20 of them being able to be matched together. It contains voltage regulators built in along with LED indicators for battery and an LED screen for viewing the systems

The newer system is a bit easier to manipulate, has a built in Gyro system option and doesn't require the keypad control to program, however its big bucks.

As for the batteries you spoke about above, remember the two things you never want to cheap out on

1) ELEVATOR SERVO'S
                2) FLIGHT PACKS

Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len, I hear ya. Thanks for the info

Comment

Len, Just saw your post/response on RCG. Thanks, and "YES" I would be interested in a slightly used Power Box system, if you have one for sale. What are you asking? Looking at your photos on RCG, I can't imagine that many wires in a glider! WOW. Neatly done, but man that is a lot of wires, and you make all your own (I think you said)? What a huge undertaking.
                    Thanks Again,
                    Larry F.

Comment

Larry
                      Pm Sent
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
                      X