No announcement yet.

Slingsby T-37 Skylark ~ 1/3-scale model by Peter Goldsmith Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter recommends the addition of cooling slots in the balsa motor surround with cooling air flowing back through the fuselage. I will be posting a detailed build thread shortly...trying to get my Skylark in the air as soon as possible to better answer questions.

The framework of the Skylark is built very light but also very strong. Looking forward to my maiden flight!
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Looking forward to your build thread. Mark

Comment

As Jim mentioned the prototype had no cooling for either the motor or battery. This is typical for the H9 ASW20 and the new ASH31, as out runners self cool. I found No real problems on the initial flights, only some slight residual heat build up with the motor after it was stationary due to its tight confinement. Battery was luke warm
        aftee 5 30 second launches.The production kits have incorporated cooling exhaust slots into the front formers, (which Jim’s kit has) all that may be required is to add a small inlet hole in lower front bulkhead. Getting the hot air out is more important so you may not even need a air inlet as the motor is rear mounted so it may just pump the air through the cooling slots in the motor cavity.
        the power system is pretty mild, power 32 with a 14x8 prop, it’s around 40amps, nothing special, just a simple low cost launching system. The 4000mah pack will give you around 4-5 30second launches. 30 seconds gets you to around 500 or so feet comfortably...
        Last edited by Pgoldsmith; 08-25-2018, 02:56 AM.

Comment

This will be my first powered sailplane. All previous were pure sailplanes. Of course that was back in the 70;s early 80's. Everything I have now in electric has gobs of cooling airflow. That was the reason for that question. This will also be my first aero tow sailplane. Looking forward to many long flights with this plane, and the fact I won't have to chase a winch line down is a big plus. Like my dear old Dad used to say the first thing to go as you grow older is your legs, he couldn't remember what went next;-)
          Last edited by MarkY; 08-25-2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Hey Mark,
            Where are you located again?
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Mount Pleasant, PA. About 45 miles SE of Pittsburgh.

Comment

I received my kit today....very well packaged!!

Looking at the plans I see very little text for wood sizes and types, particularly the stick wood. JimD’s build log will help, but I know I will still have questions. Is there a listing available with descriptions of what the supplied wood is to be used for?

Thanks,
                Jim

Comment

• Pgoldsmith
                  Pgoldsmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jim, drop me email and I can send you the latest version of the plan as a PDF file. It has more information you may be looking for.
                  Here is the material list now included on the plan.

Basswood
                  8 x ½” x 1/4” x 48” Main Spars
                  2 x 1/4 x 1/8” x 36” Stab Spars
                  4 x 1/4 x 1/4” x 48” Fuselage longerons

Balsa
                  4 x 3/8 x 3/8” x 48 Wing Leading edge
                  12 x 1/6” x 1/2” x 36” Cap strips for Wing, fuse, elev and rudder
                  20 x 1/4 x 1/4 x 36 Spar stock for elev LE, fuse longerons, and fin spars

Balsa Sheet
                  1/8” x 4” x 36” Aileron leading and wing Trailing edge capping
                  12 x 1/16” x 6” x 48” Wing skins, Wing Trailing edge material.

Pagoldies28@hotmsil.com
                  My apologies for lack of information, still learning.
                  Last edited by Pgoldsmith; 09-11-2018, 01:34 AM.

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  'My apologies for lack of information, still learning.' slacker! lol

Hi Jim,

what I am working toward is a PDF instruction manual similar to the one I did for Peter's Schweizer 1-26 kit. Hope to have my plane finished this coming week and I will be meeting with Peter to go over the plans and kit parts. Once we have that completed, copies will be sent to all who purchased kits.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact me here on the forum.

JimD
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

JimD,
                  That is perfect!!! In case you haven't heard it before.......you are a building machine!
                  Jim G.

Comment

Working...
                  X