Covering with sign vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering with sign vinyl

Guys, Quite a while ago, there was a nice thread about using sign vinyl to cover glider wings. I think it was posted by French 1, but could be wrong. Anyone know if the thread still exists somewhere? I've been through many threads looking for it, but to no avail. Any help will be appreciated. I've got a 4.5 meter Swift that needs covering.

Thanks,
    Larry Fitch

I happened to ask Stephane R (French 1) the same question about a thread or video describing covering wings with vinyl at the Horizon Hobbies Aerotow last week. He said, as I recall, that there was a YouTube video he had done on the subject and if I sent him my email address he would send me the link. So far I haven't done it, but I will and will pass the info on to you.

Tom

Comment

Here it is

Stéphane
      Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

There is some more on my youtube channel

You will find on my channel everything about my passion, flying Rc and especially flying RC sailplanes. There is also couple tricks link to manufacturing RC scale sailplanes. Vous trouverez ici une large éventail de ma passion pour le planeur RC tant pour la découverte de site de vol fabuleux que pour la construction de mes planeurs.
        Stéphane

Comment

Stephane, Thanks for the links to the vids. Any special surface prep needed before starting to apply the vinyl? I take it the circular rubbing with the soft cloth embeds the adhesive and raises it's temp a bit? Is a heat gun ever used to set the adhesive, or shrink the vinyl?

Thanks,
          Larry

Comment

No special finish is required

work well on sanded obeche, at occasion when the wood is feathering I use floor finish to harden the surface before a last 320 grit sanding

do not use heat gun except on the tip to follow the curves, the rubbing is enough to activate glue.

Do it in a cool environment, it will decrease the tendency to shrink over time.

Stéphane
            Stéphane

Comment

Stephane, thank you very much. Your info helps a great deal..

Larry

Comment

Adding two comments having now done five planes.... Need to be careful with the heat gun on curves. The margin between tightening and melting is preciously narrow. Vinyl does not behave as model airplane covering does -- don't think of it as shrinking, rather than tightening. You can't shrink away a crease or serious wrinkle. Go slow, you are medium warming, not hot heating. 99.5% of the application is pressing down with a soft cloth and working the vinyl by hand. The percentage of heat strink in vinyl is not significant before it goes all to hell.

I have found that some obechi veneer tends to give off tiny slivers. I adopted misting the final surface before covering with a spray of water-based poly (Minwax rattle can). Very light single coat, quick knock-down sanding pass with 220 or 320. Does not add perceptible weight, but rather to stick stuff together. Your mileage may vary.

Practice or start on tail surfaces before tackling the wings.
                Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Totally correct Steve, I use a hair dryer and it is plenty of heat already!!!
                  Stéphane

Comment

Steve, Thank you too. The airplane in question is obechi over foam (Rosenthal) plus a layer of 0.75 oz. fiberglass. They are very smooth currently. One last question-- The control surfaces (ailerons and elevator) are supposed to be hinged with tape. I take it the vinyl will be OK as the hinge, or do I need to apply tape or additional strips of vinyl to act as the hinge?

Larry

Comment

Working...
                    X